Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Banned covers and altered/removed tracks

Go down 
+24
ShadowAngel
80s Metal Lady
Temple of Blood
DakotaRogers
journeyman
John Madden
chewie
martinsane
MetallicSeminarian
Citanul
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
Leatherface
Thrasher73
the sentinel
Boris2008
manny
Runicen
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
Hadley
ZombieHavoc
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Empty
PostSubject: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 9:19 am

My recent Megadeth "These Boots" thread just has me thinking about the whole idea recently. So what are some other altered or removed tracks, and while were at it, banned covers too. Here's what I can come up with right off the top of my head:

Banned/altered covers:
-GNR- Appetite
-Motley Crue- Shout at the Devil
-Poison- Open Up and Say Ahh
-Poison- Unskinny Bop
-Beatles- Yesterday and Today
-Bon Jovi- Slippery When Wet
-Some of the Scorpions covers were altered right? Virgin Killer or animal Magnetism? Maybe they were reinstated?
-Jimi Hendrix- Electric Ladyland (not sure if banned, but I know the changed it at some point)
-Alice Cooper- Love it to Death (not sure if it was banned per se, but the original cover had Alice's thumb in a position to look like a penis, and that was later changed)

Songs that were either removed or altered:
-Megadeth- "These Boots"
-Body Count- "Cop Killer" (still can't believe this hasn't been re-added to the album)
...I thought I had others but am now blanking.

Not metal, but the Geto Boys, on their s/t album, "Gangsta of Love", the original presses have Steve Miller samples in the song, but after getting sued or whatever, those were removed.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 9:25 am

Not exactly banned, but there were censored versions of the Cannibal Corpse albums Butchered at Birth (just the logo on a white background), Tomb of the Mutilated (just a picture of a lifeless corpse, and the back cover only listed the less controversial songtitles), The Bleeding (cover is the same, but again, the more controversial songtitles arent listed), and Gallery of Suicide (just the titular gallery from the outside, as opposed to the inside shot we see on the uncensored version). Also, all pressings of the Offspring's self-titled debut that came out after 2001 remove the track "Kill the President".
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 10:14 am

Stryper's To Hell With The Devil - the original cover (which featured the band members as angels, kicking a Demons' ass) was replaced by a generic image of the band's logo on a black background because some dumbasses misinterpreted a pentagram in the original art as a sign of Satanism.

Two versions of Stryper's Reborn cover exist too - one is a pic of the band members covered in yellow & black goop, the other just with the band's logo. Presumably because some retailers were afraid customers would be offended by the yellow-and-black bukkake version.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 10:19 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Stryper

Never knew any of that about Stryper. It cracks me up that a band as unoffensive as Stryper could catch any heat for album cover images.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 10:25 am

Virgin Killer, man. That one is just...sheesh.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 10:40 am

Don't forget the Ugly Kid Joe "America's Least Wanted" album cover or "Ritual de lo Habitual" by Jane's Addiction.

With the former, it was their mascot as the statue of liberty giving the finger and holding a bottle of booze changed to his hand and mouth taped up looking like he'd been worked over. With "Ritual..." it went from a painting of a threesome (more or less) to a white cover with the first amendment in plain typeface on it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 10:41 am

Overkill's "F**k You!" EP was available in censored and uncensored versions for obvious reasons. The censored version had a plain white cover with the band's logo and said, "*** You - The Record They Tried To Ban!" on the front.

Hurricane's Slave to the Thrill had a photo of a naked woman bound to some sort of H.R. Giger lookin' sex machine on the front cover. An alternate version was available with just the machine in the photo which obviously looked pretty pointless.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 10:55 am

Runicen wrote:
Don't forget the Ugly Kid Joe "America's Least Wanted" album cover or "Ritual de lo Habitual" by Jane's Addiction.  

Jane's, that's a good one. Maybe it's because it's the version I bought as a kid, but the second cover looks cooler to me. It's so plain, it makes it stand out, I think. I don't know.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 10:55 am

Oh, also...isn't there a nudity version of Great White's Hooked?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 10:56 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Oh, also...isn't there a nudity version of Great White's Hooked?

I believe the Japanese version has a full-body image of the woman on the "hook" being lifted out of the water, while the U.S. version shows her still mostly submerged, only visible from the shoulders up.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 11:28 am

I forgot about that Ugly Kid Joe album (and I have the censored version). They even have "Goddamn Devil" edited on the back. Fortunately they left the recordings go on it.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 11:31 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Runicen wrote:

Jane's, that's a good one. Maybe it's because it's the version I bought as a kid, but the second cover looks cooler to me. It's so plain, it makes it stand out, I think. I don't know.

I'm actually inclined to agree. The original "art" to me looks kind of gaudy and overly busy. That and I don't even want to see an artist's rendering of Perry Farrell in the nude. If I was going to compile a list of dudes I might go gay for, good ol' Perry wouldn't even make the honorable mentions section. Hell, at that time especially, he looked like he belonged in the centerfold of "Junky's Monthly." Nothing to see here, folks...

So yeah, the plain cover is a triumph on all levels by comparison. It also made a pretty awesome statement.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 11:38 am

I never understood why Poison's album cover for 'Open Up and Say AAAhhhh!' was banned by some retailers.

I know there was alternative cover for 'Love at First Sting' that had a generic band photo as a cover

Last edited by manny on Wed May 20, 2015 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 11:47 am

Quote :
I know their was alternative cover for 'Love at First Sting' that had a generic band photo as a cover

Yep, I had that version on cassette when I was a kid, I bought it at a KMart. It was my first experience with music-retail censorship! Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 11:49 am

Also in the mid 80's KISS's Creature of the Night, changed the cover from the band make up pic with Ace, to one without make up that featured Bruce Kulick. The only thing that cover had in common was that neither Bruce or Ace played on the damn thing.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 11:53 am

2 more:
Megadeth: The System has failed (has an edited cover with a black box over the corpse Vic is rising from)
Slaughter: The Wild Life (the man with the whip is removed from the edited version and we just see a closeup of the kid, i guess they were worried the original cover was representing child abuse or something)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 11:59 am

Quote :
Megadeth: The System has failed (has an edited cover with a black box over the corpse Vic is rising from)

I think you mean The World Needs A Hero.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 12:10 pm

Scorpions Lovedrive. The US cover has the generic scorpion logo, the European cover has the bubblegum on boob cover.

This and others like the Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland cover are just "we must change these for the repressed US market who for some reason still have hangups about sexuality".
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 12:15 pm

S.D. wrote:
Scorpions Lovedrive.  The US cover has the generic scorpion logo, the European cover has the bubblegum on boob cover.  

This and others like the Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland cover are just "we must change these for the repressed US market who for some reason still have hangups about sexuality".  

The UK cover of 'Electric Ladyland' was not Hendrix's idea, that was his UK label's idea and he was very angry when he saw it, not for prudish reasons, but Hendrix felt the girls were not hot enough!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 1:07 pm

The cover of Roxy Music's Country Life wasn't appreciated here in the states with its two semi nude models. But man what a great album. In fact I think I'll go throw it on right now.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 5:25 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Virgin Killer, man. That one is just...sheesh.

Yup, banned for bloody good reason and the inexplicably un banned  surprised
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 6:16 pm

The original Blind Faith album cover was another one that was later changed...then restored for reissues.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 8:01 pm

I would add the Black Crowes "Amorica" and Lita's "Out For Blood" album. Oh, also, didn't Pantera have a different cover for the "Far Beyond Driven" album? Btw, I don't think the Bon Jovi album was censored. They supposedly didn't like the pink outlining of the record that was done to match the models nails but it was too late to create another cover so we got the garbage bag sprayed with water with the title written by Jon's finger. The original cover was used for the tour book for the '86 world tour.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 8:03 pm

Oh, just thought of another one, Great White's "Hooked" album had the whole naked chick on the giant treble hook.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 8:07 pm

Spinal Tap - Smell the Glove.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to use, it wasn't a glove!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Banned covers and altered/removed tracks   Banned covers and altered/removed tracks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Banned covers and altered/removed tracks
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next