Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What SPORTS did you watch today?

Go down 
+11
bassman
chewie
exact33
thejokeriv
Wrecked Neck
Boris2008
Witchfinder
nevermore
Lari
tohostudios
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 3:15 pm

This IS a SPORTS thread. Take your "football" elsewhere !

Razz

At least it didn't end in a scoreless tie.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 5:20 pm

Laughing very hard

Soccer will never catch on in the US as a major league sport as long as a 0-0 tie is considered an acceptable conclusion. Or until it becomes legal for players to tackle each other.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 6:51 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Laughing very hard

Soccer will never catch on in the US as a major league sport as long as a 0-0 tie is considered an acceptable conclusion. Or until it becomes legal for players to tackle each other.

The thing is that no-one outside of the U.S cares if it takes off in the U.S. The English FA Cup final has been known to attract viewing figures in excess of 500 million viewers. Whereas your baseball 'world' series outside of the  U.S attracts viewing figures of nine Norwegian insomniacs and an El Salvadorian goldfish named Pedro!

So laugh it up funny guys!  Razz
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 6:59 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Laughing very hard

The thing is that no-one outside of the U.S cares if it takes off in the U.S. The English FA Cup final has been known to attract viewing figures in excess of 500 million viewers. Whereas your baseball 'world' series outside of the  U.S attracts viewing figures of nine Norwegian insomniacs and an El Salvadorian goldfish named Pedro!

So laugh it up funny guys!  Razz

Yeah, I know.

I just hope and pray the US keeps soccer confined to something kids play and it never becomes a major league sport here. Of course if "futbol" ever caught on in the States I'd have a ready-made cure for insomnia.

Actually, now that I think about it, soccer could probably make more of a splash in the US if we started a reality series based on the "hooligans" that attend the "matches". I can't think of another sport that regularly features physical clashes between it's fans. So let's cover that; maybe set up some MMA matches between the hooligans. Put 'em in a cage! Yeah, that would work! Screw the actual game.

"Tonight on "Futbol Fights" we feature a main event between..." Yeah, that would fly here!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 7:14 pm

Soccer would be better if the ball was oblong and you could use your hands.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 7:16 pm

007 wrote:

And if you could tackle the player with the ball...

Wait...that sounds familiar...

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 7:17 pm

Soccer. Lol. It will never, ever catch on here. Ever.

Frankly, why should it? It's not native to this country. We have our own native sports - baseball, lacrosse, football, basketball. Soccer has to fight for air time with all of that.

Also, soccer is very difficult to televise in the States because of how the game is structured.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 7:19 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Soccer.  Lol.  It will never, ever catch on here.  Ever.  

Frankly, why should it?  It's not native to this country.  We have our own native sports - baseball, lacrosse, football, basketball.  Soccer has to fight for air time with all of that.

Also, soccer is very difficult to televise in the States because of how the game is structured.

And it's the only sport I know of where the game clock counts forward. Every other sport with a clock has the clock counting down. WTF is up with that?????

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 7:20 pm

007 wrote:

Yeah, we play that game too but without all of the girly padding lol! 

What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Injured_rugby_players 

What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 499945
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 7:22 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Soccer.  Lol.  It will never, ever catch on here.  Ever.  

Frankly, why should it?  It's not native to this country.  We have our own native sports - baseball, lacrosse, football, basketball.  Soccer has to fight for air time with all of that.

And it's the only sport I know of where the game clock counts forward. Every other sport with a clock has the clock counting down.  WTF is up with that?????

It's because time moves forwards  Laughing
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 7:22 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
007 wrote:

Yeah, we play that game too but without all of the girly padding lol! 

What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Injured_rugby_players 

What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 499945

I'm actually with ya on that one. Rugby is one tough-ass sport.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 7:23 pm

Big deal. Any NFL player would smash those poofs.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 7:29 pm

007 wrote:

Really?

What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Article-0-03E1B6DF000005DC-648_634x446

Are we absolutely sure about this?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 7:32 pm

I could get behind a rugby league in the States. I don't know all the rules but I DO know those are some tough MFs and it's close enough to football that I think Americans could adapt to it.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 7:52 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
007 wrote:

Really?

What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Article-0-03E1B6DF000005DC-648_634x446

Yes. We are absolutely sure about this.  Take that guy and add a foot of height, 100 pounds of muscle and 4.6 sec 40 yard dash.  Oh, also add tons and tons of steroids.  That's your average NFL lineman.  You understand that NFL players are huge, strong and insanely fast, right?  If not, look up Clay Matthews or J.J. Watt.  

I do think Rugby is cool though.  It's a popular club sport in U.S. colleges and universities.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 7:55 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
007 wrote:

Really?

Absolutely. And this is just one of many examples I could use.

What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 11055464_813303792052326_578271913_n
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 8:00 pm

And yes, I think rugby would be cool to have over here as well.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 8:38 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
007 wrote:

Really?

Yes. We are absolutely sure about this.  Take that guy and add a foot of height, 100 pounds of muscle and 4.6 sec 40 yard dash.  Oh, also add tons and tons of steroids.  That's your average NFL lineman.  You understand that NFL players are huge, strong and insanely fast, right?  If not, look up Clay Matthews or J.J. Watt.  

I do think Rugby is cool though.  It's a popular club sport in U.S. colleges and universities.

The key word here is ANY NFL player so what we are really talking about is 5' 11" 200lb Chris Brown smashing 6' 5" 283lb Jonah Lomu (who was in his heyday ludicrously fast and insanely strong even for his size)

I'll take that bet  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 9:31 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
007 wrote:

Really?

The key word here is ANY NFL player so what we are really talking about is 5' 11" 200lb Chris Brown smashing 6' 5" 250lb Jonah Lomu (who was in his heyday ludicrously fast and insanely strong even for his size)

I'll take that bet  Very Happy

Was there some hit that I was supposed to see there?  It looks like a guy the size of an average College tight end and a bunch of 5'9" midgets.  

Here's a compilation of some spectacular hits for the 2014-2015 College Football season.  Keep in mind, these are college students and only a tiny fraction of these guys will ever make it to the NFL and they are still physical freaks destroying opponents.  I cannot stress to you enough how big, strong and fast these players are:

I have this discussion frequently with my in-laws.  They don't understand the size of these people.  

It's not that I think rugby players are wimps, I think they are tough as hell, but I don't think they can compete in the NFL.  

The good news is, we'll both get to see how this turns out because of this guy:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000475963/article/australian-rugby-star-jarryd-hayne-signs-with-49ers

That's assuming that Rugby League is similar to Rugby. I have no idea what the differences are.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 9:47 pm

Hmm... I just watched a bunch of Rugby League highlights and it looks like these dudes just fist fight constantly. I may have to become a fan of this sport. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 9:52 pm

I have been looking at the stats for the NFL and your numbers don't add up. When you talk about hits you seem to be forgetting the fact that Rugby has rules and isn't really all about just smashing into each other (you have to tackle the legs), those 5' 9" midgets that you go on about are nothing of the sort, they are international sportsmen, it's just that Lomu makes it look that way.

Like I say, American Football is a different game and even more power, size and speed orientated than Rugby, the biggest guys in AF are bigger than the biggest in Rugby and the fastest are faster than the fastest in Rugby but the fact is that Lomu (and he's not alone in this) was 6' 5" 283 lb could run 100m in 10.7 seconds (faster than any linesman in history by some distance) and was absolutely unstoppable, the absolute best at what he did in the world (and much like football, a hell of a lot of guys play this game worldwide)

So I'm not trying to say that there aren't AF players who are bigger, or quicker or have taken more steroids ( surprised )  but to say that ANY AF player (including now it seems, college kids) would smash him is silly and disrespectful to one of the world's greatest ever athletes

Oh and he resumed his Rugby career after a kidney transplant, he's that badass!!  lol!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 10:00 pm

Back to the more civilized sport that prompted this thread:

After a 2 1/2 hour rain delay, the Dodgers and Cardinals are finally playing. Cards grabbed a run in the first as Wacha goes for his 8th win.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 10:01 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I have been looking at the stats for the NFL and your numbers don't add up. When you talk about hits you seem to be forgetting the fact that Rugby has rules and isn't really all about just smashing into each other (you have to tackle the legs), those 5' 9" midgets that you go on about are nothing of the sort, they are international sportsmen, it's just that Lomu makes it look that way.

Like I say, American Football is a different game and even more power, size and speed orientated than Rugby, the biggest guys in AF are bigger than the biggest in Rugby and the fastest are faster than the fastest in Rugby but the fact is that Lomu (and he's not alone in this) was 6' 5" 283 lb could run 100m in 10.7 seconds (faster than any linesman in history by some distance) and was absolutely unstoppable, the absolute best at what he did in the world (and much like football, a hell of a lot of guys play this game worldwide)

So I'm not trying to say that there aren't AF players who are bigger, or quicker or have taken more steroids ( surprised )  but to say that ANY AF player (including now it seems, college kids) would smash him is silly and disrespectful to one of the world's greatest ever athletes

I think 007 said that about any player and I don't agree with that. I was mostly speaking of NFL Defense Ends and Linebackers which would be the kind of player opposing him. Also I thought we were talking about the long-haired guy that hit this Lomu fellow. I think I've missed a point or something. Sorry about that.

By the way, there are strict rules about where and how you can tackle in American Football as well. Also, certain positions enjoy more protection than others based on a variety of factors.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 10:03 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Hmm...  I just watched a bunch of Rugby League highlights and it looks like these dudes just fist fight constantly.  I may have to become a fan of this sport. Laughing

Yeah, Rugby league has completely different rules to Union and quite a few of the bigger guys have played for the U.K AF teams back when it was popular over here.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 10:23 am

The Dodgers handed Michael Wacha his first loss last night. He was cruising along with a 1-0 lead in the 6th but then allow the tying run followed by a 3 run homer. Card 5 game win streak snapped with a 5-1 loss.

PostSubject: Re: What SPORTS did you watch today?   What SPORTS did you watch today? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What SPORTS did you watch today?
Page 4 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next