Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?

Go down 
+17
Troublezone
tohostudios
brokentulsa
Witchfinder
Dark Horseman
Boris2008
chewie
corplhicks
mikeinfla
metalinmyveins
Required Fields
bassman
SAHB Healer
the sentinel
Runicen
MetalGuy71
muckie
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Empty
PostSubject: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 12:32 am

Like 70s, 80s, 90s, and before. Anything that was mainstream at one point but seldom heard or remembered? Any genre.

I like Robyn's early stuff, the swedish singer. She was briefly popular back in the 90s here in the states, but now she only continues to be known in her own country.

I also like Blessid Union of Souls, and Tasmin Archer from the 90s, and certain new jack swing stuff from the 80's that aren't mentioned much these days.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 9:59 am

I guess if you count jazz and some big-band swing stuff, then I'm guilty as charged.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 11:01 am

Hah. Robyn. I picked up two of her (relatively) recent EPs based on a shout out from the main man from OMD. Not bad stuff, really.

I recently dusted off my Matthew Sweet CDs. Girlfriend was pretty big for about 15 minutes in the 90s.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 12:25 pm

I would have to go with Seven Mary Three's "American Standard" as Cumbersome and Water's Edge are just awesome. These guys and Days of the New were all over Rock radio in the nineties. Smile

Btw, props to muckie for some cool thread topics, keep rockin' brudda!
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 12:39 pm

Seconded on the cool topics!

Days of the New... Haven't heard that name for a long time. Whatever happened to that guy (wasn't it just one dude who surrounded himself with hired guns)?
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 5:50 am

Blues Image (73 Men) from the 70s, and Urge Overkill from the 90s.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 9:50 am

30s and 40s big band jazz
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28430

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 10:00 am

Runicen wrote:
Seconded on the cool topics!

Days of the New... Ā Haven't heard that name for a long time. Ā Whatever happened to that guy (wasn't it just one dude who surrounded himself with hired guns)?

I heard something about their lead singer spending all of his money on drugs and becoming bankrupt as a result.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 10:10 am

As far as I remember he (Travis Meeks?) had a severe heroin addiction and struggled to complete the last album and in the process pretty much lost the actual band and used studio musicians to finish the record.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 10:14 am

the sentinel wrote:
As far as I remember he (Travis Meeks?) had a severe heroin addiction and struggled to complete the last album and in the process pretty much lost the actual band and used studio musicians to finish the record.

The original band formed back up in 2014, but due to an inebriated appearance at a show, the reformed band went their separate ways once again. Travis Meeks has severe addiction problems and has never quite kicked them. When I saw pictures of the guys in 2014, Travis looked absolutely horrible. He was beyond a stick figure! I'm shocked this guy is still alive!!!
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 10:29 am

I checked out their wiki page. While it's not gospel truth, apparently his addiction has included meth, which explains his appearance a bit... He's a damn scarecrow these days.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 10:35 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I guess if you count jazz and some big-band swing stuff, then I'm guilty as charged.

Me too. Including Bing & Sinatra vinyl.... Or Buddy Holy, Roy Orbison, Chuck Berry, etc all on vinyl. Good stuff. I have a Best Of Roy on the Sun label. Some great early stuff.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 11:06 am

80's Easy Listening. Remember when that was pop music? I'm an unashamed fan. Got a while Spotify playlist dedicated it.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 2:35 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Me too. Including Bing & Sinatra vinyl.... Or Buddy Holy, Roy Orbison, Chuck Berry, etc all on vinyl. Good stuff. I have a Best Of Roy on the Sun label. Some great early stuff.

More of Sinatra for me.... I do like me some Classical.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 4:29 pm

Mc Almott & Butler and Bernard Butler solo stuff. He's best known for being in Suede and being Duffy's producer/songwriter but this stuff is golden and yeah,pretty much forgottenĀ 

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 5:58 pm

I still listen to Collective Soul's greatest hits as well as the hits of Duran Duran. (so, shoot me) I also recently picked up these albums called Living In Oblivion that are 80's New Wave. Must be a middle age thing.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 6:25 pm

Big Band/Swing music. Also I am a big fan of both Elvis and Frank Sinatra.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 6:32 pm

Sinatra and Elvis are hardly forgotten!

I also listen to Shawn Colvin who, while still producing some excellent music to this day and recently publishing a memoir, has mostly been forgotten by the masses, save for her hit "Sunny Came Home".
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 7:29 pm

muckie wrote:

I was talking to the record store guys about that and they were saying that Elvis is pretty much not sell-able at all. They don't even bother taking Elvis records in unless it's a 78.

Dark Horseman wrote:
I also recently picked up these albums called Living In Oblivion that are 80's New Wave. Must be a middle age thing.

I heard this on a college radio station the other night on the way home from work and was intrigued by it. I guess it's called Minimal Wave. From 1983:

Something about it reminded me of Sprockets.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 11:11 pm

Interesting, it's like it doesn't quite develop all the way.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 5:23 am

corplhicks wrote:
80's Easy Listening. Remember when that was pop music? I'm an unashamed fan. Got a while Spotify playlist dedicated it.

I forgot ALL about this! I'm interested, any suggestions? I wouldn't even know where to begin. We used to have a station in Knoxville called WEZK, EZ Listening. I hated it then but would probably like it now.

Last edited by mikeinfla on Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 7:47 am

chewie wrote:
muckie wrote:

I was talking to the record store guys about that and they were saying that Elvis is pretty much not sell-able at all. They don't even bother taking Elvis records in unless it's a 78.

Probably then because all the Elvis collectors are dead. Razz
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 2:55 pm

Quote :
Probably then because all the Elvis collectors are dead. Razz

I am a huge Elvis fan and I routinely still seek out and buy Elvis vinyl and I am far from dead... Just purchased some Elvis the other day on colored vinyl...all the record stores here in Tulsa sell lots of Elvis...
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 6:19 pm

I still listen to a lot of the classic Southern rock from that time (Molly Hatchet, The Outlaws, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blackfoot, Allman Brothers, Charlie Daniels, etc). Also stuff like Steely Dan and Jethro Tull.

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 6:28 pm

Steely Dan just played Coachella this weekend so don't really think they qualify as "forgotten mainstream music". I just checked their upcoming concert at The Hollywood Bowl and the tickets range anywhere from $72 all the way to $1600 depending on where you want to sit, average seats in the middle are around $300 a piece.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?   What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What forgotten mainstream music of the last century do you still listen to?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next