Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream

Go down 
+3
jstate
manny
tohostudios
7 posters
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Empty
PostSubject: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 7:50 pm

I've dug this guy's music for forever and when I saw this commercial for the first time today I went "Damn, that's John Hiatt!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YchrUKygTtY
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 9:50 pm

I can't believe John Hiatt sold the rights to use any of his music in an ad, but hell if anyone has right to cash in and make some money off his music, it may as well be him.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 12:44 pm

Things like this used to bother me. But these days I say more power to him. John Hiatt certainly has the catalogue to make a killing at this. I've always thought his music was made for movie soundtracks. Only movie I remember his stuff being in was "Cry Love" in The Rookie.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but... who the hell is John Hiatt? surprised

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 2:19 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but... who the hell is John Hiatt? John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream 685534

I didn't want to be the ignorant jackass (for once) but I was thinking of asking the same thing.John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream 436688

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 4:19 pm

He's not metal which is probably why you guys don't know who he is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hiatt

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 4:20 pm

You guys need to stray from your comfort zones now and again...there is a tremendous bounty of great music out there...that isn't hard rock or metal.

Very Happy

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 4:41 pm

I was just reading that article and I didn't realize Hiatt wrote "Angel Eyes" which was a huge hit for Jeff Healy Band.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 5:30 pm

This was the first song I heard by him.
Sounds something like Scarecrow-era Mellencamp.

And from his "rockier" side:

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 7:15 pm

how is 'Perfectly Good Guitar' rank in his catalog?

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 7:40 pm

exact33 wrote:

If you like that song, that's the album to get.

The band included members of alt bands Wire Train and School Of Fish and definitely has more of an "altrock" edge to it than his other albums.

Personally it's my favorite.

If you're interested, you can hear samples and pick it up for next to nothing.

http://www.amazon.com/Perfectly-Good-Guitar-John-Hiatt/dp/B000002G1Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313020361&sr=8-1

I think this album is as close as Hiatt came to breaking through to mainstream radio back in the day. The title cut, Wreck Of The Barbie Ferrari, Buffalo River Home all received significant airplay on alt radio back then but somehow he just never really broke big.

Until I saw that Travellers ad...
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 8:20 pm

I love most of Hiatt's output.

This is one of my favorites, it's taken from a Showtime concert special sometime in the early 90's. Which featured John Prine, Guy Clark, John Hiatt and I think Vince Gill...I can't recall. But when Hiatt began this song...they were all watching intently, and as the song unfolded it's hysterical nature...they could barely keep the laughter contained...

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 9:13 pm

tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:

If you like that song, that's the album to get.

The band included members of alt bands Wire Train and School Of Fish and definitely has more of an "altrock" edge to it than his other albums.

Personally it's my favorite.

If you're interested, you can hear samples and pick it up for next to nothing.

http://www.amazon.com/Perfectly-Good-Guitar-John-Hiatt/dp/B000002G1Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313020361&sr=8-1

I think this album is as close as Hiatt came to breaking through to mainstream radio back in the day. The title cut, Wreck Of The Barbie Ferrari, Buffalo River Home all received significant airplay on alt radio back then but somehow he just never really broke big.

Until I saw that Travellers ad...

he has a little zevon in him.

There are 8 copies of Perfectly Good Guitar on SACD - soon there shall be 7!

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 5:42 am

Shiney wrote:

I love most of Hiatt's output.

This is one of my favorites, it's taken from a Showtime concert special sometime in the early 90's. Which featured John Prine, Guy Clark, John Hiatt and I think Vince Gill...I can't recall. But when Hiatt began this song...they were all watching intently, and as the song unfolded it's hysterical nature...they could barely keep the laughter contained...

lol! I never heard that before. His facial expressions are priceless.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 8:57 am

'Perfectly Good Guitar' is my fav by Hiatt, he not wrote 'Angel Eyes' but also wrote 'Thing Called Love' that Bonnie Raitt recorded and 'Something Wild' recorded by Iggy Pop
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 9:15 am

After Perfectly Good Guitar make sure you also get Bring The Family and Slow Turning. All three are equally great IMO.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 9:18 am

I'm spinning Slow Turning this morning. I've always loved the title track but there's quite a few good tracks on this album.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 9:54 am

Now that I see his face and read-up on wikipedia, I recognize him. Probably know his tunes if I heard them.

Quote :
You guys need to stray from your comfort zones now and again...there is a tremendous bounty of great music out there...that isn't hard rock or metal.
Nah, I'm good. Wink

PostSubject: Re: John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream   John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

John Hiatt Finally Goes Mainstream
Page 1 of 1