Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?

Go down 
+12
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
TheGreatDuck
A Handful of Wayne
Thelemech
Boris2008
metalinmyveins
Temple of Blood
tohostudios
Witchfinder
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Empty
PostSubject: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 5:21 pm

I swear to you this is Diamond Head. Yes, the same band that brought you "Am I Evil!" and "Lightning To The Nations." This is from their 1984 Flight East Demo which followed their disastrous Canterbury album. Did you think they would go back to their heavier material following that flop? No sir! They doubled down on their decision to go pop with tunes such as this:

No wonder MCA dropped them like a rock and no other label would sign them.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 5:28 pm

Ya know, I was in college during the heyday of the disco period (late 70s/early 80s) and got dragged to a few disco clubs during that time. Since I was a confirmed "metalhead" back then, I couldn't admit that as much as I ragged on disco and how all the songs sounded the same, there were some damn catchy tunes in that mess.

This ain't one of them. Good Lord is that terrible! If you're going to produce pop music the least you could do is have a hook somewhere. I don't hear a hook anywhere in that crap.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 5:31 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Ya know, I was in college during the heyday of the disco period (late 70s/early 80s) and got dragged to a few disco clubs during that time.  Since I was a confirmed "metalhead" back then, I couldn't admit that as much as I ragged on disco and how all the songs sounded the same, there were some damn catchy tunes in that mess.

This ain't one of them.  Good Lord is that terrible!  If you're going to produce pop music the least you could do is have a hook somewhere.  I don't hear a hook anywhere in that crap.

Such a bad song. The rest of the demo is as equally horrifying.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 5:37 pm

You know a rock band who produced a good disco song?

At the time I absolutely HATED this song. But it sure got into the disco clubs back then and got the band more exposure. In retrospect, I can appreciate what they did with this song and damned if it's not also catchy as hell.

Last edited by tohostudios on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 5:38 pm

tohostudios wrote:
You know a rock band who produced a good disco song?

Yeah!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 5:39 pm

"Back In The Powerage" - now that title makes me think that this song will be heavy. Uh, no. This makes Autograph sounds like Napalm Death:

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 5:43 pm

Well at least the vocal harmonies are decent. But again where is the hook?

And the way it starts reminds me of Ace Frehley's "Back In The New York Groove" (a FAR superior song).

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 5:54 pm

This thread title ... it's almost like you read my mind ....
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 5:57 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
This thread title ... it's almost like you read my mind ....
lol!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 6:03 pm

Yeah, I was going to download this at the old Hearrockcityblog about a year ago, but I thought I would listen to it first, since people were talking about how terrible it was. It truly is the biggest four year fall I've ever heard in music. It was hard to believe that this was the same band!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 6:06 pm

Just horrible. I can't think of a band that made worse decisions than these guys. (Okay maybe Metallica at times but somehow their terrible decisions paid off)
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 6:07 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Yeah, I was going to download this at the old Hearrockcityblog about a year ago, but I thought I would listen to it first, since people were talking about how terrible it was. It truly is the biggest four year fall I've ever heard in music. It was hard to believe that this was the same band!

It really is hard to believe. I know Harris and Tatler expressed their desire to move on from heavy metal and they weren't kidding. At least Canterbury still had some of their older material on it which was somewhat enjoyable, but Flight East is horrible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 6:10 pm

Who the hell was making disco records in 1984? Disco was already long dead by that point.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 6:13 pm

S.D. wrote:
Who the hell was making disco records in 1984?  Disco was already long dead by that point.

Diamond Head? This whole demo is baffling.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 6:18 pm

S.D. wrote:
Who the hell was making disco records in 1984?  Disco was already long dead by that point.

Yeah, by then I was all about hair metal bands. It would have made more sense if the band had come out with some Poison/Motley Crue/Warrant kind of thing.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 6:18 pm

Holy that is horrendous - what the hell were they thinking/smoking??
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 8:35 pm

Wow thats bad. The only rock band that could pull disco off was Kiss.

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 8:49 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

Correction:

More like the only person that could pull that off is Vini Poncia who produced the album and co-wrote the song with Desmond Child. Ace did pull off a great solo to it, but that was probably the extent of the bands contribution to that track.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 8:57 pm

S.D. wrote:

Correction:

More like the only person that could pull that off is Vini Poncia who produced the album and co-wrote the song with Desmond Child.  Ace did pull off a great solo to it, but that was probably the extent of the bands contribution to that track.  

regardless they were the only ones to pull it off and have people still like that song to this day. they still play it in their live set.

Everything has to be so specific with you lol! Laughing very hard

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 9:02 pm

S.D. wrote:

Correction:

More like the only person that could pull that off is Vini Poncia who produced the album and co-wrote the song with Desmond Child.  Ace did pull off a great solo to it, but that was probably the extent of the bands contribution to that track.  

That explains why it's so well-written.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 9:21 pm

I was dissing Kiss more than anything. Razz
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 4:23 am

Not bad at all, too bad the sound quality sucks, though. I wish there was more disco-rock than just a song or two by a few bands here and there, could have been an interesting genre.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 7:22 am

Static-X was known as "Evil Disco".
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 9:57 am

I dunno. I always liked these 2...

I like 'I Was Made For Loving You' too. I had the benefit of hearing all of these songs well after the disco-era was dead and buried, so I wasn't bothered by the bands "selling out".

Those Diamond Head tracks though? Peee-yew!!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 11:02 am

That's very odd. I guess for what it is, it isn't too bad. Kind of surprising considering the band (and the year released, as previously stated). And I do have to admit to liking a bit of disco. It might be nostalgia but I can give it a listen to every now and then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?   Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wanna hear a disco Diamond Head song?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next