Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Old School War Thrash

Go down 
+12
Hadley
nevermore
Troublezone
choosemetal
ohwellmonkey
Boris2008
DakotaRogers
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
ZombieHavoc
MetalGuy71
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Old School War Thrash Empty
PostSubject: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2015 7:25 am

I grew up during the trickle-down cold war Reagan bullshit era. Alot of the METAL was aimed towards what was going on at the time. At War, Carnivore, Overkill, Nuclear Assault, Powermad, Agent Steel [to a lesser extent], etc. I just listened to INC's [Indestructible Noise Command, for you younger tykes] 2 albums and it made me understand the generation gap a little bit. Do you kids have anything now-days that concerns Real World Decimation? Or is it all about hyper-patriotism and dragons?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 9:55 am

I suppose it's not politically correct to write songs about brown-skinned terrorists and ISIS. North Korea isn't a big enough concern either I guess.

Having a big super-power like the USSR was an easy target back then.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 10:26 am

People in general (as far as I can tell retroactively, as I was a kid in the 80s and oblivious to everything except cartoons), were more paranoid into the 80s than they are now. Obviously, there are still paranoiacs, but I don't think your average person sits around waiting for WW III any more.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 11:10 am

Quote :
I don't think your average person sits around waiting for WW III any more.

The paranoia has turned inward now. People are waiting for the Illuminati agents hidden deep within our government to activate and start micro-chipping us and herding us all into FEMA death camps.

...or at least, that's what Dave Mustaine is waiting for. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 11:23 am

He's not alone. I see a lot of those type of lyrics in thrash these days.

WARBRINGER, EXPULSION, BONDED BY BLOOD, HAVOK, etc.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 11:41 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
He's not alone.  I see a lot of those type of lyrics in thrash these days.

But are those guys really concerned about nuclear annihilation or are they just aping the lyrical themes of the bands they are influenced by?

Back in the 80's, there was a genuine concern among the populace that 2 super powers could wipe out all of mankind several times over. It made for easy lyrical inspiration for thrash bands. You just don't get that type of feeling with terrorism these days. If you write a song condemning terrorism, you'll somehow get labelled a racist or Ted Nugent.

Like Freddy mentioned, I think the focus has turned inward and general distrust of the government. Lots of material to mine from there if done right. I'm not sure if the current wave of retro-minded thrash bands are going that route though. Maybe they are and I just don't hear it.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 12:48 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
He's not alone.  I see a lot of those type of lyrics in thrash these days.

But are those guys really concerned about nuclear annihilation or are they just aping the lyrical themes of the bands they are influenced by?

Back in the 80's, there was a genuine concern among the populace that 2 super powers could wipe out all of mankind several times over. It made for easy lyrical inspiration for thrash bands. You just don't get that type of feeling with terrorism these days. If you write a song condemning terrorism, you'll somehow get labelled a racist or Ted Nugent.

Like Freddy mentioned, I think the focus has turned inward and general distrust of the government. Lots of material to mine from there if done right. I'm not sure if the current wave of retro-minded thrash bands are going that route though. Maybe they are and I just don't hear it.

I wasn't listing bands afraid of nuclear war. Sorry for the confusion. Those were folks (like Mustaine) singing about one-world government/prison planet/Alex Jones/loss of privacy/control by the elites/micro-chipped/etc. etc. type of stuff. BTW I think you can add HELSTAR to that list too.

I don't see many bands who sing about nuclear war anymore. Maybe VIOLATOR.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 12:54 pm

Ah, my bad. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 1:03 pm

Plus, modern thrash metal is about zombies, Christopher Walken, The Thing and beer.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 8:18 pm

I would love to hear more relevant lyrical content in thrash metal. If I hear one more song about hating Christianity, or Countess Bathory, I'm going to lose my shit.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 8:45 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:
I would love to hear more relevant lyrical content in thrash metal. If I hear one more song about hating Christianity, or Countess Bathory, I'm going to lose my shit.

All of the cold war stuff got equally as played out, particularly with the German bands (hardly surprising with the evil empire on your doorstep!) To be honest, I don't give a crap what thrash bands sing or growl about, I don't listen to it because I think it's poetic, it never has been.
Back to top Go down
ohwellmonkey
Metal student
Metal student
ohwellmonkey

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 1:56 pm

Just that a quick at all the albums with mushroom clouds on the cover. That's crazy! There's thousands of them.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:17 pm

Nothing in metal is more played-out than anti-Christianity.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:31 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:

Well, damn. Now I'm gonna have to re-think the thrash concept album I was writing, about a church-burning Countess Bathory. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 3:29 pm

Nocturnal Fear is a cool Thrash band which they all they focus on is about war.

My problem with a band like Havok is that they come off as "your brainwashed by the system, if you don't agree with me!"

Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 7:22 pm

The last metal lyrics I really thought were meaningful were on Master of Puppets and I was 15 years old.

I still find it hard to work out how a good lyricist like Hetfield got so utterly awful at it.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 7:39 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Really? You think that there are more anti christian songs than say, songs about knobbing? I think that Motley Crue alone have written more songs about knobbing than there are anti christian song in the world  lol!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 10:51 pm

I'm content with the handful of Slayer songs about war.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 11:15 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
The last metal lyrics I really thought were meaningful were on Master of Puppets and I was 15 years old.

I still find it hard to work out how a good lyricist like Hetfield got so utterly awful at it.

I agree. The lyrics from RTL to AJFA were some of the best ever. Then he lost his touch... although I do like some of the lyrics on The Black Album.

Last edited by Troublezone on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 11:28 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Really? You think that there are more anti christian songs than say, songs about knobbing? I think that Motley Crue alone have written more songs about knobbing than there are anti christian song in the world  lol!

Yeah, because bands that sing about that are primarily hard rock bands, not metal. Including Motley Crue.

In metal, anti-Christianity is definitely more prevalent.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 11:29 am

As an adult now, I don't think Metallica's lyrics were all that great. I loved them as a kid, but now I think they're not very meaningful, clever, or well-written.

My favorite lyrics are by WATCHTOWER, DARK ANGEL, and MIND OVER FOUR.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25863

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 12:15 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Ain't that the truth!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 7:33 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
As an adult now, I don't think Metallica's lyrics were all that great.  I loved them as a kid, but now I think they're not very meaningful, clever, or well-written.

My favorite lyrics are by WATCHTOWER, DARK ANGEL, and MIND OVER FOUR.

Agreed, that's why I added that I was 15 when those lyrics meant a lot to me. I still think that Disposable Heroes, Fade to Black, Master of Puppets and a few others have lyrics that were way above average for the time but hardly up there with Shane MacGowan or Nick Cave.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 3:02 pm

And while we're at it, what happened to all those lyrics about how much they hate school?
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 7:13 pm

I've never thought metal had very conscious lyrics until crossover came up, besides random examples here and there. Punk rock has always been politically charged and I think that most of the metal bands mentioned from the 1980s and also now have been influenced by the punk genre for relevant lyrics.

If anyone should be singing about shit like REAL nuclear destruction, class war, or whatever it should be now though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old School War Thrash   Old School War Thrash Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old School War Thrash
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: