Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS

Go down 
+18
Gilbert
GrandNational
Boris2008
Lurideath
Glower
BearOnUnicycle
Runicen
Eyesore
Troublezone
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Witchfinder
glassprison
Temple of Blood
corplhicks
Shawn Of Fire
brokentulsa
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2015 7:15 pm

Bruce Dickinson's first few solo albums sound almost nothing like Iron Maiden.

Dio's solo material doesn't sound like either Rainbow or Black Sabbath.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2015 7:42 pm

From what i remember the Paul Stanley solo album wasn't a million miles away from what Kiss were doing at the time.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2015 9:35 pm

Runicen wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Does Halford's band Fight count? It wasn't really a solo band per se...

Even if you wanted to count it, I don't really know if you could say Fight sounded like Priest.

With the first Fight album, I think Halford took the energy of Painkiller and molded it into a modern sound influenced by Pantera. Ironically, I don't think the Priest albums with Ripper sound much like traditional Priest either...
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2015 10:31 pm

S.D. wrote:
Bruce Dickinson's first few solo albums sound almost nothing like Iron Maiden.

This
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2015 10:42 pm

The name is Udo Dirkschneider.

Remember that.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 2:50 pm

Would UDO count?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 4:11 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Would UDO count?

Definitely, although it's a band the name of the band is a bit of a giveaway to who is in control.

Can't believe it's taken me so long to remember probably the best example of this

Okay so he didn't quit his band but I never could understand why he felt the need to be solo to record this.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 4:38 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
Would UDO count?

Definitely, although it's a band the name of the band is a bit of a giveaway to who is in control.

Can't believe it's taken me so long to remember probably the best example of this

Okay so he didn't quit his band but I never could understand why he felt the need to be solo to record this.

I think the reason he did it is because Emilio Estevez was a big fan of his Bon Jovi song Wanted Dead or Alive and personally asked him if he would be involved with writing the soundtrack for the Young Guns movie. I'm not sure why the other Bon Jovi guys didn't participate. I don't know... maybe Jon wanted "all the glory".
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 5:38 pm

Lou Gramm of Foreigner who quit, more because Mick Jones was being a prick then artistic reasons made two successful solo albums that sound almost like Foreigner, not surprisingly since he was on the main songwriters in that band.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 5:50 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
Would UDO count?

I think the reason he did it is because Emilio Estevez was a big fan of his Bon Jovi song Wanted Dead or Alive and personally asked him if he would be involved with writing the soundtrack for the Young Guns movie. I'm not sure why the other Bon Jovi guys didn't participate. I don't know... maybe Jon wanted "all the glory".

Can that really be considered a true solo album, though, since it's a soundtrack?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 5:53 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
Would UDO count?

Can that really be considered a true solo album, though, since it's a soundtrack?

I think so, plus somehow Jon Bon Jovi got Jeff Beck to record most of the guitar solos on the disc, but yea I would count it as his debut solo disc
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 5:57 pm

manny wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
Would UDO count?

I think so, plus somehow Jon Bon Jovi got Jeff Beck to record most of the guitar solos on the disc, but yea I would count it as his debut solo disc

I've always considered it a Jon Bon Jovi album despite it essentially being a soundtrack, so I'm not suggesting it's not; the post just made me curious. Though I guess some might be inclined to say Destination Anywhere is his first true solo album.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 9:38 am

Troublezone wrote:
Runicen wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Does Halford's band Fight count? It wasn't really a solo band per se...

Even if you wanted to count it, I don't really know if you could say Fight sounded like Priest.

With the first Fight album, I think Halford took the energy of Painkiller and molded it into a modern sound influenced by Pantera. Ironically, I don't think the Priest albums with Ripper sound much like traditional Priest either...

I'd definitely second all of this. Even with the idea of Priest as a band that had a lot of "sounds," the Ripper years were kind of their "Hear in the Now Frontier," going off in a direction that didn't really connect back to anything they'd done before and abandoned as a blind alley as soon as it was done and over with.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 11:39 am

John Norum's first couple of solo albums(Total Control, Face The Truth) could have been Europe albums.

After I heard that song I wondered why he even left after The Final Countdown since it sounds like a song that could have been on it.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 11:51 am

To be fair, this does lack the big keyboards that were prominent on Europe's late '80s albums.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 11:49 am

brokentulsa wrote:
Quote :
Really? OK, now I need to hear it. Is it that Billy Idol guy on guitar?

yes, Its Steve Stevens on guitar

I dismissed that solo album for years. Going back now and listening to it on YouTube, it doesn't sound half-bad. I wouldn't say it's better than any Crue album, but certainly not as bad as I thought at the time. I might have to investigate that one a little further. I like his Tattoos and Tequila album. Mostly covers, but still decent.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 12:20 pm

While he didn't officially quit, I don't think Warrel Dane's solo album, Praises to the War Machine, sounds all that radically different from the stuff he was doing with Nevermore at the time. Perhaps a bit more gothy and melancholy, but if you slipped that album into a playlist with Nevermore tunes, you'd hardly notice the difference.

PostSubject: Re: ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS   ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ARTIST WHO QUIT THEIR BAND TO MAKE SOLO ALBUMS
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: