Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Autograph is back.

Go down 
+15
Hadley
ZombieHavoc
Red Kitty
Glower
tohostudios
brokentulsa
Witchfinder
Thelemech
Dark Horseman
corplhicks
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
manny
mikeinfla
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 5:54 am

And no Plunkett on vocals. Sounds like Foreigner to me, I stopped listening about 1:20 in.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 8:45 am

That is pointless, a) Plunkett was the most recognizeable feature of that band b) There has been no great demand or clamouring for the long awaited return of Autograph.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 9:15 am

I heard this the other day. It's an OK song but nothin' I would go out of my way to track down.

Besides, like Manny sez, is there really much demand for more Autograph? It's not like you hear people saying "GOD! When the hell is Autograph gonna get back together?" everywhere you go.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 9:24 am

I liked the band back in the day but I really have no interest in anything they're up to nowadays

Last edited by 007 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 9:34 am

Refresh my memory again. What was their hit and why should I care?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 9:51 am

As to why you should care... thinking
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 9:55 am

Ahhhhh yes, now I remember. I knew they had a hit or 2, just couldn't remember what it was. Can't say it's getting me all weak in the knees for more though.

Hey, if they can scrape together 2 nickels from a new album and tour, good luck.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 11:20 am

I remember hearing Radio on the er, radio, and rushing out to buy the cassette, which was mighty hard to find at that time. The whole album was a total letdown with just that one solid single. It's like they didn't know how to write anything else.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 11:37 am

Wasn't terrible, almost a Firehouse vibe but nothing i'm anxiously waiting for.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 11:54 am

I am SO excited Rolling Eyes Autograph is back. 811939
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 11:55 am

No thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 3:59 pm

First off let me say I am a huge huge fan of this band...I have everything they have put out on vinyl and cd including the new remastered rock candy versions of the cd's...Turn up the radio is one of the best glam metal tracks out there... I really like the new song and will be getting it..I hope a full album is coming and would love to see them... I also have Steve Plunkett's solo album on cd. Last I heard he was writing music for tv commercials and movies..
here is another huge hit they had...

And a song I love from the 3d album...

And here is one from Steves solo album...
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 4:03 pm

I didn't own the first 2 albums of their's but did get the third one (Loud N Clear) on cassette and thought it was pretty decent. I saw that one used on cd not too long ago and had to choose between it and Wrathchild America's Climbin' The Walls. I chose Climbin' The Walls and of course the next time I went back, Autograph's was gone. I'd like to get them all one of these days.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 6:15 pm

I won both those Autograph albums on vinyl from the Nashville AOR radio station back in the day.  Every afternoon, the DJ would play 3 songs based on a theme and whoever guessed theme and whoever's theme suggestion was used each got to pick an album from their "vault".  I didn't bother trying to phone in to guess themes but he used at least 6 or 7 of my suggestions.  It got to the point where the receptionist at the station would say something like "So, you won another one huh?"

At any rate, my favorite Autograph song is this one:

And I agree, it's the lead vox that made them stand out from the crowd at the time.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 7:19 am

Motley Crue broke into their practice room and stole their equipment ( Dirt )
I remember seeing KISS in concert - and the song they played before the lights went down -
yup - turn up radio - 1/2 way through the song it stopped - lights went down -
and people roared with wild happiness - that the song was cut off - lol !
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 9:59 am

I like this band and their first two albums: Sign in Please and That's the Stuff. Saw them open for Van Halen on the 1984 tour in Pittsburgh. Being 30 plus years ago, I don't remember much from their set, but I do remember enjoying 'Turn Up the Radio'!

I agree that Plunkett's vocals caused the band to stand out. But also, I think Steve Lynch is a fine guitar player.

That being said, I think the new song is a bit boring, but am curious to see what else they have come up with...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 10:14 am

Since when was "Blondes in Black Cars" a "huge" hit? I think MTV aired that video once at about 2 in the morning, and then I never saw it again.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 10:21 am

If they had any other hits, I never heard 'em. I played all the videos embedded here and didn't know any of them, aside from 'Turn Up The Radio'.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 12:16 pm

Quote :
Since when was "Blondes in Black Cars" a "huge" hit? I think MTV aired that video once at about 2 in the morning, and then I never saw it again.

It made it up to 38 on the rock singles chart in 1986. It got massive radio play (at least across the midwest and southwest) ...believe it or not FF back in 1986 alot of the nation still didnt have MTV and radio was still where the hits were made Twisted Evil   down in the part of TEXAS that I was living in at the time MTV didn't hit the air waves until late 1988... Also according to the charts Autograph sold over 3 million records worldwide back in the 80s  headbanger
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 12:29 pm

Quote :
Autograph sold over 3 million records worldwide back in the 80s

(shrugs) If you say so. Maybe they had more fans in Texas, here in Jersey they were one-and-done as soon as "Turn Up The Radio" faded from the scene.

It would be interesting to know how many of those 3 million records were Sign In Please, cuz their follow ups all seemed to hit the cut out bins fairly quickly 'round here. I know I bought Loud N Clear on cassette for $1.49 at a Sam Goody only a couple of months after its release, cuz I remember thinking "Wow, that was fast." Very Happy

Not hatin', just sayin'.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 10:24 pm

I would be amazed if Autograph actually sold that many albums, but if you so.

In Florida they had a sizeable following but not enough to stop their albums from ending up in the cut out bin.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 10:40 pm

I only ever heard "Turn Up The Radio" back in the day and they only played that because they inserted the radio station's call letters into the chorus.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 11:36 pm

Quote :
In Florida they had a sizeable following but not enough to stop their albums from ending up in the cut out bin.

notice I said worldwide...according to their bio they were huge in Japan (not surprising) and also had a good European following back in the day...According to billboard sign in please did go Gold in The states..  Smile   just curious..how many here were fans of this band back in the 80s and their style of metal (glam/AOR/hair band..whatever you call it) back in the 80s? Interesting fact...on their first nationwide professional tour they were the opening act for Van Halen who handpicked them because Eddie was a fan of Lynch...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 11:41 pm

I liked quite a few of the so called glam/hair bands, but honestly Autograph came off as rather B-list. Talented enough but missing that "special something" that would've elevated 'em beyond opening-act status.

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 7:24 am

brokentulsa wrote:
Quote :

notice I said worldwide...according to their bio they were huge in Japan (not surprising) and also had a good European following back in the day...According to billboard sign in please did go Gold in The states..  Smile   just curious..how many here were fans of this band back in the 80s and their style of metal (glam/AOR/hair band..whatever you call it) back in the 80s? Interesting fact...on their first nationwide professional tour they were the opening act for Van Halen who handpicked them because Eddie was a fan of Lynch...

I remember them but I only liked Turn Up The Radio. A kid at school has Sign In Please on cassette and brought it to school but i could never get into them other than that one song. He also liked Keel and I never cared for them either, although now that is is 25+ years later I may need to give Keel a listen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Autograph is back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autograph is back.   Autograph is back. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Autograph is back.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next