Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's so cool about your city???

Go down 
+15
Citanul
Witchfinder
mikeinfla
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
Dr8breed74
manny
corplhicks
tohostudios
Gilbert
James B.
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

What's so cool about your city??? Empty
PostSubject: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 11:03 am

Not being sarcastic - but ya live there for more than one reason, right? What parts you reside in and what is there cool to do there?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 1:17 pm

There is a town about 12 miles from my front door and it has about 200 people in it.

That is what I like about it.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 1:24 pm

The pine forests. The sounds of jackals at night.

And the fact that there are barely any people.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 5:10 pm

The best FREE zoo in the world.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 5:20 pm

Not much. A high crime rate, poor spending habits, lazy politico, reckless gang activity, horrible air quality, piss poor music scene--some call us the Detroit of Ca. I wouldn't go that far, but it's close.

I take that back; there are pluses. An hour or two from three separate and beautiful national parks, easy commute access, historic downtown...that's about it.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 5:25 pm

It only 30 to 40 minutes away from the beaches, and it rarely gets cold here. On the beaches scantily clad women of all ages, its a beautiful thing
Back to top Go down
Dr8breed74
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Dr8breed74

Number of posts : 291

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 5:50 pm

I really struggle to find much to say about Cardiff. About the only thing it has that's cool is a old castle and this just outside the city
What's so cool about your city??? Coch
Back to top Go down
https://krullrecords.bigcartel.com/
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Oh, and we have the Cardinals which to me is a huge attraction because I've been a Redbirds fan since I was in second grade growing up in Pennsylvania. My Dad used to put out sunflower seeds for the cardinals and even call them with a whistle so THE Cardinals became my favorite team. I remember telling my parents that some day I would live in Cardinal Country. It took over 30 years but I finally did it and now I can see every single Cardinal game of the season instead of listening to static-y KMOX on a big old radio back in PA.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 7:55 pm

Two major theme parks 10 minutes away (if you're into that kinda thing). About 15 minutes from the beach and only an hour from either the desert or the forest/mountains.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 8:23 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Two major theme parks 10 minutes away (if you're into that kinda thing). About 15 minutes from the beach and only an hour from either the desert or the forest/mountains.

That's what I used to love about Connecticut. Between about 90 miles you could either go to the beach or skiing. But damn, that's an expensive state to live in.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 9:02 pm

I live in northern New Jersey, within spitting distance of the border with upstate New York. Nothing ever happens here and that's the way I like it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 9:15 am

Dr8breed74 wrote:
I really struggle to find much to say about Cardiff.  About the only thing it has that's cool is a old castle and this just outside the city
What's so cool about your city??? Coch

Oh, dude, you're from Cardiff?!? Funny how people never appreciate where they're from (easy to say when you don't live there, right?) but I would love to visit Wales and Cardiff. My wife and I were in the UK/Ireland in 09, but we weren't able to make it to Wales (and we only had two days in Ireland). As a huge Doctor Who and Torchwood fan I love what I see and what I've studied up on about the area. Of course I understand that shows and movies typically highlight the pretty areas of any place.

I live in Abilene, Tx. Since the question is; "What's cool about where you live?"

No traffic jams. 115,000 people but the easiest place in the world to drive around in. I have a 3 minute "commute" to work.

Good schools.

Family oriented.

Football crazy!

Toho - it isn't free, but for a city its size our Zoo is great.

Lots of parks.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 10:14 am

My dad was born and raised in Philly, as was I. My wife and her most of her family are lifelong Philly residents as well. I flirted with the idea of moving away after college, but nothing really materialized. At one point, I almost took a job at Madison Square Garden. Who knows how things might have turned out moving to North Jersey.

We've got a pretty rich history, Ben Franklin has left his DNA all over the place. We're close enough to the Jersey shore or a short train ride to NYC. We're more or less free from natural disasters (earthquakes, floods, etc) aside from the occasional snowstorms. We've got our fair share of celebrities (the birthplace of Larry Fine!) and music acts from the region. Hall & Oates, mothertruckers!!

We've got 4 major sports teams and their fans are hardcore. Eagles fans are notorious a-holes (throwing snowballs at Santa, anyone?). Flyers fans aren't much better. Noone likes the Sixers and everyone feels sorry for Phillies fans.

Come for the cheesesteaks and hoagies, stay for the sexual advances of Bill Cosby. Make his Jello pudding POP!

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 10:57 am

MetalGuy just won this contest!

It's a contest, right? Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 11:03 am

Nothing wrong with taking a little pride in your hometown, right? We've got lots to brag about What a Face

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 11:31 am

tohostudios wrote:

Agreed, we used to live in Cape Girardeau and loved going to the zoo.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 11:39 am

tohostudios wrote:

Ours isn't free, but it is the oldest in the country. And Rocky proposed to Adrian there. So there's that...

And yes, I've run up the Art Museum steps. You have to by law. Punching slabs of meat is optional though.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 11:43 am

I live in the Pittsburgh area and have my entire life. There's not too much to brag about. The Zoo is decent,we have 3 major pro sports teams (I'm sure you've heard of them), a cool cultural district (The Strip) and that's about all I can think of. The weather here sucks (unless you love gloomy and cool weather),we have potholes that can reduce a tire to shreds, terrible traffic and incompetent government leadership (I am so thankful I do not live in Allegheny County).
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 11:49 am

007 wrote:
I live in the Pittsburgh area and have my entire life.  There's not too much to brag about. The Zoo is decent,we have 3 major pro sports teams (I'm sure you've heard of them), a cool cultural district (The Strip) and that's about all I can think of. The weather here sucks (unless you love gloomy and cool weather),we have potholes that can reduce a tire to shreds, terrible traffic and incompetent government leadership (I am so thankful I do not live in Allegheny County).

C'mon, you have the Andy Warhol Museum. Best place to see paintings of Campbell Soup cans this side of the Mississippi.

I got thrown out of a strip club in Pittsburgh once. ONCE.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 11:54 am

I live in Panama City, FL. Not much here but beaches. Not many good jobs, mostly tourist jobs (I am fortunate to have one of the only good paying jobs at the Paper Mill). We have no interstates so it takes forever to get where you are going if headed north.

From what I understand Panama City is the #1 tourist destination in the state of Florida by car. Panama City also has the highest divorce rate in the country... And I have heard the most dangerous place to ride a bicycle is in Panama City. People are getting killed on bikes all the time here.

Been here since 2000 and like where we live but if my job were to go away I'd move in a heartbeat.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 11:56 am

007 wrote:
I live in the Pittsburgh area and have my entire life.  There's not too much to brag about. The Zoo is decent,we have 3 major pro sports teams (I'm sure you've heard of them), a cool cultural district (The Strip) and that's about all I can think of. The weather here sucks (unless you love gloomy and cool weather),we have potholes that can reduce a tire to shreds, terrible traffic and incompetent government leadership (I am so thankful I do not live in Allegheny County).

I love your town too. Went 2 times over the summer and enjoyed walking around downtown. Went to see the Pirates one night and had tickets to The Steelers but ended up missing the game because we worked thru the night. And I enjoyed the weather in the summer, much better than this deep south humid-heat. It's unbearable here in July and August.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 11:58 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
007 wrote:

C'mon, you have the Andy Warhol Museum. Best place to see paintings of Campbell Soup cans this side of the Mississippi.

I never saw what all the fuss was over that guy. Bizarre man,to be sure.

Oh I will add we do have the Carnegie Museum Of National History,which is actually something to brag about.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 12:23 pm

And you have PNC Park, my favorite MLB venue.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 12:26 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
007 wrote:

I love your town too. Went 2 times over the summer and enjoyed walking around downtown. Went to see the Pirates one night and had tickets to The Steelers but ended up missing the game because we worked thru the night. And I enjoyed the weather in the summer, much better than this deep south humid-heat. It's unbearable here in July and August.

It's usually humid here in PGH in July and August as well. Don't let the weather you experienced fool you.

PGH isn't bad. I'm not from here, but I live here now. The weather is very dreary and the traffic does suck as 007 said. PNC Park is a great stadium though and has a hell of a nice view of the city. My office actually looks over PNC and I can hear the fireworks when the Pirates win.

I am actually from Cincinnati and the two cities are very similar. They are about the same age, they are river cities and they have roughly the same population. Cincinnati doesn't have the traffic problems because the topography is totally different - it's mostly flat compared to a bunch of ridges and gullies. Cincinnati does have one of the best Zoos in the country and a lively downtown bar scene.

Baseball is a religion in Cincinnati and even if you don't like baseball, you know how the Reds are doing. We even have an opening day parade which everyone attends and most people go to one or two games a season. Everyone hates the St. Louis Cardinals, but that's just from envy. We'd like to have a team as well run as them.

The city has a love/hate relationship with the Bengals. We mostly love to hate them because Bengals fans are 90% scar tissue after all the disappointments over the years. Bengals fans hate the Steelers with a passion, but the Steelers fans don't even know we exist! Ha!

Cincinnati did have a thriving metal scene at one point and is still very conveniently situated for concerts. If a band doesn't hit Cincinnati, they will probably hit Dayton or Columbus.

Cincinnati does have the bizarre concoction know as "Cincinnati Chili" which horrifies non-Cincinnatians and is nothing like chili. I love it, but Mrs. Witchfinder (who's from London, England) can't stand it and refuses to eat it. Luckily, the kids love it and beg for it whenever we go back. Haha!

Culturally, Cincinnati is a strange combination of the Midwest, the South and Germany! So, I know all about things like ribs, biscuits and gravy, grits, beer, brats, beer, beer and more beer. The largest Oktoberfest outside of Germany is in Cincinnati and it's a hell of a good time if you like beer, sausage, polka music and the chicken dance.

Cincinnati is a nice place to live, but if you are used to a big, bustling city, you would never want to live there. It's really a sleepy little town that just happens to have 2 million people in the metro area.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 12:45 pm

My favorite memory of Cincinnati...

PostSubject: Re: What's so cool about your city???   What's so cool about your city??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's so cool about your city???
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next