Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Saga- Security of Illusion?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Saga- Security of Illusion? Empty
PostSubject: Saga- Security of Illusion?   Saga- Security of Illusion? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 7:28 pm

I know Saga as a offbeat 80's pop/prog band. I also have their "Generation 13" which is a prog concept album, not heavy. However there are a couple of cuts on their "Best Of" comp from Security of Illusion that suggest to me that this CD might feature more guitars, maybe enough to put them at the lighter end of the prog metal spectrum (Lemur Voice, Altura, Cairo, etc.). Does anybody have an opinion on Security of Illusion?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saga- Security of Illusion?   Saga- Security of Illusion? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 4:48 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
Does anybody have an opinion on Security of Illusion?
How about opinions in general, you slackers! Haha.

I see Saga CDs on the cheap all the time, but I'm wary. Some albums seem like they'd be heavy prog rock or metal, while others look like they'd sound like Flock of Seagulls.

What's the deal?
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Saga- Security of Illusion?   Saga- Security of Illusion? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 4:59 pm

I was about to post similarly to EYE..I see 'em all over and never grab them because I know little of them...so enlighten us...please.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Saga- Security of Illusion?   Saga- Security of Illusion? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 5:30 pm

I will try, Saga is a Canadian band who released their first album in 1978, they are progressive rock band but not in the tradition of Rush or Dream Theatre, they are keyboard dominated and the guitar takes a backseat.

Like the Trevor Rabin led Yes, they wrote progressive songs with hooks, and had minor success in the US with the album "World's Apart" that an MTV/rock radio hit "On the Loose" .

The guitar player, multi tracks his guitars and uses influences from blues, to classical, along with the keyboardist who also throws in classical music influences throw out their songs.
ULT on his website No Life til Metal review describes them as "Asia meets Rush with a bit of Genesis thrown in" , it has good as an description I can find.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saga- Security of Illusion?   Saga- Security of Illusion? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 6:30 pm

It really depends on the album. If it looks like a prog album (the ones with the sci fi looking covers), those are the more recent and those are the heaviest. Keep in mind they are and always have been pop prog.

Here are a couple of samples from different eras:

"The One" (1999) From "Full Circle"
http://boomp3.com/listen/c2a0idkq9_b/02-the-one

"It's Time" (1979) From "Images At Twilight"
http://boomp3.com/listen/c2a0k462p_e/01-it-s-time

I just have collected them all, so I'm far from an expert. But they are super entertaining IMO. I love the band and look forward to getting to know them better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saga- Security of Illusion?   Saga- Security of Illusion? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 8:05 pm

I can get down with both those styles.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saga- Security of Illusion?   Saga- Security of Illusion? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 8:07 pm

You should at least buy "Worlds Apart". That is a perfect album, IMO. "On The Loose" and "Wind Him Up" are worth the price of it alone.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Saga- Security of Illusion?   Saga- Security of Illusion? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 11:03 pm

Yeah. "Worlds Apart". It's very fine prog/pop.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saga- Security of Illusion?   Saga- Security of Illusion? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saga- Security of Illusion?
Page 1 of 1