Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.

Go down 
+16
James B.
Fat Freddy
Addy
DallasBlack
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Vexer6
tohostudios
ultmetal
Dark Horseman
manny
jettafiend
T-Roy
MetalGuy71
SpectreFate
ZombieHavoc
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Empty
PostSubject: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 2:53 pm

How would you combine them into one album (assuming you are like me and do not feel that 2 albums were necessary)?

If it were cut down to 12 or so tracks, I feel it could've kicked some serious ass. Maybe still not as much as AfD, but the momentum could've been there:

1.Right Next Door to Hell

2. Perfect Crime

3. Back off Bitch

4. Double Talkin' Jive

5. Garden of Eden

6. Don't Damn Me

7. Yesterdays

8. Get in the Ring

9. Shotgun Blues

10. You Could Be Mine

11. Pretty Tied Up
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 3:00 pm

If you cut those albums down to one I would only have one coaster.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 3:10 pm

***CAUTION!! FAN-BOY RESPONSE JUST AHEAD***

I like 'em fine just as they are. Love 'em all.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 3:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
***CAUTION!! FAN-BOY RESPONSE JUST AHEAD***

I like 'em fine just as they are. Love 'em all.

Same here. Although apparently this was done at some point :

http://www.sortmusic.com/_g/guns-and-roses-albums,up720642446324,len.html
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 3:17 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
How would you combine them into one album (assuming you are like me and do not feel that 2 albums were necessary)?

If it were cut down to 12 or so tracks, I feel it could've kicked some serious ass. Maybe still not as much as AfD, but the momentum could've been there:

2. Perfect Crime

3. Back off Bitch

4. Double Talkin' Jive

5. Garden of Eden

6. Don't Damn Me

7. Yesterdays

8. Get in the Ring

9. Shotgun Blues

10. You Could Be Mine

11. Pretty Tied Up
While I dig them both and am a huge GnR fanboy, I agree in that I never understood why the two albums? Where's Civil War?
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 3:19 pm

T-Roy wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

2. Perfect Crime

3. Back off Bitch

4. Double Talkin' Jive

5. Garden of Eden

6. Don't Damn Me

7. Yesterdays

8. Get in the Ring

9. Shotgun Blues

10. You Could Be Mine

11. Pretty Tied Up
While I dig them both and am a huge GnR fanboy, I agree in that I never understood why the two albums? Where's Civil War?

At first I put Civil War on there. I really like that tune. However, I felt it would mess up the momentum of the other 11 songs. If anything, I would tack it on at the end, so try as to not slow things down. I just didn't think it worked with all the other tracks.

There are songs I like that I did not included. I was just trying to give it an Appetite style shot of adrenalin.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 4:21 pm

SHAME ON YOU! that's one of the best ones?! lol!
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 4:42 pm

Here is my choices for the desirable tracks:

1. Right Next Door to Hell

2. Don't Damn Me

3. The Garden

4. Civil Wars

5. November Rain

6. Dead Horse

7. 14 Years

8. Yesterdays

9. Breakdown

10. Pretty Tied Up

12. You Could Be Mine

13. Coma

And these are in no particular order either. Just the tracks that I tend to listen to the most. I can't remember the last time that I actually listened to Estranged or So Fine.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 5:07 pm

Other then 'My World' which blows chunks, I like the albums just the way they are.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 5:25 pm

jettafiend wrote:

2. Don't Damn Me

3. The Garden

4. Civil Wars

5. November Rain

6. Dead Horse

7. 14 Years

8. Yesterdays

9. Breakdown

10. Pretty Tied Up

12. You Could Be Mine

13. Coma

And these are in no particular order either. Just the tracks that I tend to listen to the most. I can't remember the last time that I actually listened to Estranged or So Fine.
No Knocking on Heaven's Door!!??? angry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 5:36 pm

I'm not sure if I've ever heard either of these records all the way through, I was SO burned out on Appetite getting played literally to death (I still can't tolerate it all these years later) that I never bothered.

I do like November Rain though, great arrangement.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 5:49 pm

I love November rain, Civil War and Knockin' on Heaven's Door. Actually, I only don't like a 3 or 4 songs.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 6:08 pm

I always thought that if they took the best tracks from both of them and put out one single CD, it would have been considered another classic by fans and media alike. Instead the two albums are looked back on as nothing more than rock star excess.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 6:54 pm

T-Roy wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

2. Don't Damn Me

3. The Garden

4. Civil Wars

5. November Rain

6. Dead Horse

7. 14 Years

8. Yesterdays

9. Breakdown

10. Pretty Tied Up

12. You Could Be Mine

13. Coma

No Knocking on Heaven's Door!!??? angry

sick

The covers are horrible, now if I was to to put the cover of Sympathy for the Devil in the mix then that could be arranged...
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 6:59 pm

S.D. wrote:
I'm not sure if I've ever heard either of these records all the way through, I was SO burned out on Appetite getting played literally to death (I still can't tolerate it all these years later) that I never bothered.

I do like November Rain though, great arrangement.

Same here except I hate November Rain. lol!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I always thought that if they took the best tracks from both of them and put out one single CD, it would have been considered another classic by fans and media alike. Instead the two albums are looked back on as nothing more than rock star excess.
I believe they did want to do just that, but the record company wouldn't let em, because they just wanted to charge people serperately. I wouldn't say that people look back at the albums as "rock star excess", quite a few people look back at them as classics.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 10:50 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
I believe they did want to do just that, but the record company wouldn't let em, because they just wanted to charge people serperately. I wouldn't say that people look back at the albums as "rock star excess", quite a few people look back at them as classics.

There's also quite a few songs that were written before and around the time of Appetite that didn't make the cut, so they were polished up for the Illusion albums. And they had time to write more tunes while on the road, touring for Appetite.

Basically, they had an over abundance of songs, so the thought was "get them all out there while the band is on top and the fans are begging for more". I believe it was the record company's idea to release 2 seperate albums instead of one double-album like the band wanted.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 11:05 pm

Any chance of cutting them both down to "0" cds? I really think that would benefit humanity best.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 11:10 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Any chance of cutting them both down to "0" cds? I really think that would benefit humanity best.

That'll be enough outta you, mister. Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. 382568 Don't make me edit my response in the "epitome of cool" thread to Axl, Axl and Axl.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 11:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

That'll be enough outta you, mister. Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. 382568 Don't make me edit my response in the "epitome of cool" thread to Axl, Axl and Axl.

ahhhhhhhahahahhaa. You got me. The thought that you were the epitome of uncool creeped into my mind...but just for a second. I should have known better!
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 11:42 pm

Something similar happened with Judas Priest, Turbo and Ram It Down were originally supposed to be one double-album called "Twin Turbos" with the more commercial stuff on one disc and the heavier stuff on the other disc, but like with GnR, the record company wanted to make as much money as possible, so they split it into two releases.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 12:05 am

But then Spec would only have "1" coaster.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 2:59 am

Vexer6 wrote:
Something similar happened with Judas Priest, Turbo and Ram It Down were originally supposed to be one double-album called "Twin Turbos" with the more commercial stuff on one disc and the heavier stuff on the other disc, but like with GnR, the record company wanted to make as much money as possible, so they split it into two releases.

Same thing happened with Opeth's Deliverance & Damnation albums. Recorded at the same time, one heavy album, one mellow album originally intended to be released together as a double...split in two by the record label and released a year apart.

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 6:01 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:

2. Perfect Crime

3. Back off Bitch

4. Double Talkin' Jive

5. Garden of Eden

6. Don't Damn Me

7. Yesterdays

8. Get in the Ring

9. Shotgun Blues

10. You Could Be Mine

11. Pretty Tied Up

Personally I like em as 2 albums, but Ill play along Very Happy

Heres my picks

1) Civil War
2) So Fine
3) Estranged
4) November Rain
5) Don't Damn Me
6) Don't Cry (Orignal)
7) Dust N Bones
Cool Coma
9) Yesterday's
10) Double Talkin Jive
11) You Could Be Mine
12) Breakdown
13) Back Off Bi*ch
Bonus:
1) Don't Cry (Alt)
2) Shadow Of Your Love (B-side)
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 8:44 am

I actually do like most of the songs on both albums.

I just agree with what Ult said about if it had been widdled down to one solid record, it would be considered far more of a classic. I know they are still considered classic rock n roll records, but not like Appetite (though, I don't think anything they did would've been able to end up being viewed like Appetite).

And many of the songs, while good, just slow down the momentum of the albums.

And "My World" does suck, but I have so much fun listening to it. One day I will make a comp of all the rock bands doing bad rap songs in the early/mid 90s. GNR, Duff from his solo record, Danger Danger, Obituary...I know there are more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next