Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Coolest musicians you met and stories.

Go down 
+7
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
Stender
Troublezone
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
martinsane
choosemetal
11 posters
AuthorMessage
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

Coolest musicians you met and stories. Empty
PostSubject: Coolest musicians you met and stories.   Coolest musicians you met and stories. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 2:07 am

Hey guys who are some of the coolest musicians you have met? and do you have any cool stories??

I met and interviewed Don Doty. He was really nice and the coolest thing is we live in the same town. I don't ever see him around (it isn't that small) but still it's cool.

Katon De Pena really cool dude. Hard to get a hold of when I did an interview. I had to talk to the merch lady to get him on the phone. I got to back stage (first time ever for me) and he was very cool we did the interview and stuff. Even after the show he greeted fans and all of that stuff.

Night Demon guys are really cool guys. Easy to talk to and stuff.

I recently met Rick Cortez of Sadistic intent man I think I was talking to that dude for about 2 hours. He was telling me about the old school days of Death metal in LA and everything it was pretty cool.

Some guys I wanna meet in person is Ron Rinerhart of Dark angel and Vic Stown of Vindicator.

Last edited by choosemetal on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Coolest musicians you met and stories.   Coolest musicians you met and stories. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 5:18 am

These type of threads are cool to me.

I've met a good many, but recently, within the past couple of months, I spent some quality time with Dan Englund (Thrash Forward, Undone, Re-Activate, Ever Rat Records) and Jeffrey McCormack (Screams Of Angels, Nightshade, Heir Apparent).

Great guys and we spent hours talking about the REAL Seattle hard rock/metal scene, reminiscing about the good ole days. I am certain we will be hanging with each regularly from here on out.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Coolest musicians you met and stories.   Coolest musicians you met and stories. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 9:01 am

Katon is a VERY cool dude. So is Glenn Rogers and the rest of Hirax.

Met Johnny Rod when he was in King Kobra. Crazy guy!!! He absolutely insisted that he get to sign my tennis shoe or he would not go on stage. haha

Jewel was a sweetheart - super shy.

I still email with Andy Boulton [Tokyo Blade] and Brian Vollmer [Helix].

I have told my Orange Sky story before - that changed my life.

But the coolest human on the face of the planet is Eric Sardinas. Hands down. First to arrive/Last to leave. Hangs out with everyone before and after the show and even jumps off stage and solos for 10 minutes a midst the crowd so the whole joint can be in the front row for a moment.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Coolest musicians you met and stories.   Coolest musicians you met and stories. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 9:04 am

I got to hang out with Chuck Billy at his house sometime around 2000. We also went to his local pizza joint with his family and Steve DiGiorgio. They were both really cool.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Coolest musicians you met and stories.   Coolest musicians you met and stories. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 2:01 pm

Jimmy P. Brown and Brian Khairullah were both crazy awesome to me when I met em in Temecula, slammed a bunch with Brians son, I had a migraine and I think I threw up on him a little.

Dave Dictor from Millions of dead cops is a local Eugene head now and it's always nice talking with him.

Jack Grisham from TSOL is almost completely insane but really nice also. I knew he did some talks for AA in HB several years ago, and wanted to hear them. He was under the impression that I was wanting to go to a meeting and offered to sponsor me.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Coolest musicians you met and stories.   Coolest musicians you met and stories. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 10:56 am

Dude, Rick and Bay are 2 different people from Sadistic Intent. Bay is the bassist/vocalist and Rick is the guitarist.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Coolest musicians you met and stories.   Coolest musicians you met and stories. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 11:09 am

Most of the musicians I've met have been at autograph signings/meet & greets so I didn't have much chance to interact with them. They've all seemed pretty nice aside from Ace Frehley, who was a hungover douche who couldn't even be bothered to look at the people he was signing stuff for long enough to say "hi."

Of the few that I've gotten to say more than two words to, Gary Cherone of Extreme was a very nice guy, as was Max Cavalera of Sepultura.

John Gallagher of Raven is by far the coolest metal mo-fo I have ever had the pleasure of hanging out and chatting with for a few minutes.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3178

PostSubject: Re: Coolest musicians you met and stories.   Coolest musicians you met and stories. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 11:49 am

I shook hands with Ray Manzerak of The DOORS. A photo was taken of us too.
He signed a publicity photo - to my gal, at the time - whose birthday was the same as Jim's.
Ray also sign a July 1967 TV guide that I bought there ( flea market place ) -
That was the month and year that " Light My Fire " went to number 1.
He smiled, and began looking through the TV guide with a sad fondness.
Also there, was Traci Lords - many dudes were in line to get her autograph.
She was SEXY looking. Big Time.
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Coolest musicians you met and stories.   Coolest musicians you met and stories. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 2:25 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Dude, Rick and Bay are 2 different people from Sadistic Intent. Bay is the bassist/vocalist and Rick is the guitarist.

I was on my phone when I did this. Freaking auto correct. Thanks for pointing that out I didn't even notice it. Oh yah Bay was pretty cool too.
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Coolest musicians you met and stories.   Coolest musicians you met and stories. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 3:04 pm

I live in Tampa, so I meet and hung out without alot of the death metal guys local to the scene. They were not superstars, and I meet Chuck a few times of Death, sat at the bar at this place called The Ritz in Ybor City and talked about Deep Purple over a couple of beers, this was 1991.

David Vincent worked at this Flea Market stand selling metal albums etc, nice guy,

Met Alice Cooper at a radio sponsered event, nice guy

The only bad one was meeting Dokken at a met and greet. Don, Jeff and Mick were all cool and said hello.

George Lynch was sitting with his daughter and he was a bit of douche, not very friendly. I told him I had bought his solo album, he was like oh that's nice, got irriated with him and told him he owed me 8 dollars
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Coolest musicians you met and stories.   Coolest musicians you met and stories. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Meeting John Gallagher of RAVEN was my first and still one of the best experiences I've ever had. I interviewed him on my radio show in college on Friday night, then the next night he invited me and a friend over to his place to hang out, have a beer and we just chatted about music all night. Great guy.

manny wrote:
George Lynch was sitting with his daughter and he was a bit of douche, not very friendly. I told him I had bought his solo album, he was like oh that's nice, got irriated with him and told him he owed me 8 dollars

That is DAMN funny! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

PostSubject: Re: Coolest musicians you met and stories.   Coolest musicians you met and stories. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 5:49 pm

Some of the coolest musicians I have met and some have become real good friends are
Venom in 97 @ Milwaukee Metalfest
Hypocrisy
the Usurper dudes
Chief Spires and the entire Nile crew
James Rivera and the rest of Helstar.
Jeff Gayer (ex-Leatherwolf)
Mike Gilbert (F&J)
Glenn Rogers
Glen Mancaruso
Trevor Perez
Steve DiGiorgio
Brian Korbin
Dave Watson
Angelo Espino
Julian Mendez
Steve Tucker (ex-Morbid Angel)
Jared Anderson (ex Hate Eternal)
John McEntee and Kyle Severn (Incantation)
Ross and Bob from Immolation
Scott and the rest of the band Ultimatum

This list could get quite extensive so I am leaving a LOT out.

Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

PostSubject: Re: Coolest musicians you met and stories.   Coolest musicians you met and stories. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 5:50 pm

All of Dark Funeral
The Immortal guys. Abbath was the coolest HAHAHA
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Coolest musicians you met and stories.   Coolest musicians you met and stories. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 9:04 pm

The guys in Kings X are by far some of the most personable musicians I have met. I got Dug a chuckling when I leaned in to get a photo with him and I said "Watch the hands Dug." Smile

Randy Castillo was just epically cool and I was a dumb fan struck 20-something at the time. Same place/show met Zac, Ozzy and Geezer all nice guys. Zac was all of 21 and he was just loud and enjoying himself IMMENSELY.

Met the guys in EZO a LONG time ago on the Fire Fire tour. Extremely polite, humble, meek and downright teeny. Smile Signed up my show flyer too(and I still have it!)

As mentioned above by others there have been many meetings of musicians that I will add to the list as the memories spark...

Oh not a metal musician but I had the pleasure of meeting Pat Methany back in 89/90 and he too was rather polite and somewhat quit/meek, but a kind and personable person nonetheless and a hell of a guitar player too.

Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Coolest musicians you met and stories.   Coolest musicians you met and stories. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 11:55 pm

I met Stan Ridgway (Wall of Voodoo) a couple of times after his shows at the Cactus Cafe in Austin, TX. First time, he signed a glossy photo and told me to be careful and not handle it until it dried so as not to smudge it. Pretty nice that he cared enough to say that.

Then the second time, we had a decent length conversation. He talked to a couple in front of me who was celebrating an anniversary and told them he and his wife had recently celebrated their 30th anniversary and that the key to their long marriage is that they were buddies as well as husband and wife and when you find that person who can also be your buddy, marry him/her.

When it was my turn, I gave him a poster I bought at their table to sign. He pondered over the best place to sign it and asked if I wanted it dedicated. I spelled my name (which has an unusual spelling) and he printed it out on a FedEx bag first and then copied it on the poster (now that is taking that little extra time for his fan). We had our photo taken. He took the time to find a good spot for the photo. Then I asked him about a Christmas song he did with Klark Kent (aka Stewart Copeland). He said he didn't do it and he refused to do a Christmas song for IRS (I'm sure it's his vocals; though, he probably forgot about it). Then he told me how Miles Copeland of IRS wanted him to change his song "Salesman" to "Santa Claus". Interesting. He still seemed mad about it after all those years. When I was leaving, he called to me, "Do you live in Austin?" I said, "Yes." Then he talked to me about a local radio station. Don't remember what the station was. He was just so friendly with his fans. Most of those who came to the show just left afterwards. They really missed out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coolest musicians you met and stories.   Coolest musicians you met and stories. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coolest musicians you met and stories.
Page 1 of 1