Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Classic Rush

Go down 
+24
QuothTheRaven
DallasBlack
nevermore
sovdat
corplhicks
martinsane
tohostudios
Glower
Nomadic Drifter
manny
Shawn Of Fire
mikeinfla
mr.electric39
bass63
brokentulsa
MoonChild
chewie
Thelemech
mc666
Citanul
ultmetal
thejokeriv
Runicen
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Best of the Classic era?
Rush
Classic Rush - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Classic Rush - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Fly By Night
Classic Rush - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Classic Rush - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Caress of Steel
Classic Rush - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Classic Rush - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Classic Rush - Page 2 Vote_lcap28%Classic Rush - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 28% [ 11 ]
A Farewell to Kings
Classic Rush - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Classic Rush - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 3 ]
Hemispheres
Classic Rush - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Classic Rush - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 5 ]
Permanent Waves
Classic Rush - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Classic Rush - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Moving Pictures
Classic Rush - Page 2 Vote_lcap35%Classic Rush - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 35% [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 39

AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Classic Rush - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 8:48 pm

S.D. wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Nomadic Drifter wrote:
I voted 2112.  Ask me again tomorrow and I'd prob say Moving Pictures.  (and next week I'll say Hemispheres)  

Personally - IMHO - I think the Classic era culminates with Hemispheres, and another era begins.  

I agree.  It's at that point that the band got too "proggy" for me.  But I still enjoy anything from Hemispheres on back in their catalog.

Moving Pictures threw me a curveball because that to me felt like a return to form and I would rank that album 3rd in the Rush catalog but after that they got waaaaay too proggy for me.

That really makes no sense.  Their albums from Caress through Hemispheres are by far the most "proggy" in their discography.  Permanent Waves & Moving Pictures brought in more radio-focused pop sensibilities into the the mix, that continued on Signals, Grace, Power...with each successive album the prog leanings DECREASE.

Maybe it's because they became less "rock guitar oriented" after Moving Pictures?  Lots of new wave influences, Peart's infatuation with Police drummer Stewart Copeland, keyboards moving to the foreground and Lifeson also showing that he had been listening to Talking Heads and The Police in his playing.

I can't explain it. I just don't find the songwriting to be nearly as memorable after Hemispheres. And the increased use of keyboards also turned me off (at least in the Rush context). I think it's what I perceive as the lack of memorability after Hemispheres (with the notable exception of Moving Pictures) that turned me off to the band. Maybe increased keyboards and lack of memorability equates to "proggy" to my ears.

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 11:04 pm

Well, I think almost every song on Signals and Grace Under Pressure are very memorable, as are most of the songs on Power Windows. "Memorability" is 100% subjective to the listener.

Many bands have keyboards that aren't "progressive" in the slightest, so I don't buy that, personally.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 11:20 pm

I was too shortsighted as a youngster to dive into their synth-oriented albums, and I plan on getting around to those someday. Of course, albums like Roll the Bones and Counterparts were very much the hard rock we were familiar with.

Anyway, this is a tough one. While part of me says 2112, it would purely be for the title--the B-side material is great but not nearly the punch that side A provides. With Moving Pictures, it's solid throughout, and there's so much strength and completion found in tracks like Red Barchetta and Limelight that it's one of those records that can't get any better. As for Tom Sawyer, no matter how much I've heard that song on the radio, I still get a rush every time I throw the record on.

So Moving Pictures it is.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 7:08 am

I'm really not familiar with Farewell or Hemispheres which is sad. I call myself a huge Rush fan but haven't heard these. Went to a garage sale a couple of months ago and saw Hemispheres and thought I grabbed it. When I got home I looked thru my stack and had The Knack "But The Little Girls Understand". And not to knack The Knack, they are ok and I hve their first album, but Rush they ain't!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 11:05 am

I became a Rush fan during the Moving Pictures thru Hold Your Fire era, that was when I was buying each album as a new release. At the same time I was buying their earlier albums and getting to know them. Because of this I think I appreciate both eras equally. They changed their sound a great deal, yet they still couldn't be confused for anyone else but Rush.
Back to top Go down
Nomadic Drifter
Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 1:51 pm

S.D. wrote:
I became a Rush fan during the Moving Pictures thru Hold Your Fire era, that was when I was buying each album as a new release.  At the same time I was buying their earlier albums and getting to know them. Because of this I think I appreciate both eras equally.  They changed their sound a great deal, yet they still couldn't be confused for anyone else but Rush.  

I can relate to this almost exactly. I first heard RUSH when Moving Pictures was released. I wanted to know more but didn't know where to begin. I suppose there must have been about a year of indecision before Exit, Stage Left appeared. I went for that and was blown away by the older stuff. I was able to buy/trade for all the older albums by the time Power Windows was released. I finally was in the right place at the right time and saw them on the Power Windows tour. I guess that would be '86.

Regarding the eras of RUSH - I always felt that each of the Live albums marked the end of an era - at least up until (and including) Different Stages. But I can understand why Moving Pictures gets included in the Classic era - as described by this poll - due to it being the last album with a truly lengthy track (Camera Eye).
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 3:30 pm

Hahaha love that avatar Nomadic Drifter! A years I thought I was the ONLY huge metal fan in my house and now it is me and 4 others. Maybe I should bring all of them around the stereo!
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 5:56 pm

I agree with the ones saying that Hemispheres is the last album of the classic era. Not saying that later albums are bad or worse than these, though.

And for the favourite, it's a tough one between 2112, Kings and Hemispheres. I'll go with 2112 just because it was the first one I heard from them and owned for quite a while I checked the rest. The Temples of Syrinx is extremely heavy for 1976!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 6:54 pm

S.D. wrote:
Well, I think almost every song on Signals and Grace Under Pressure are very memorable, as are most of the songs on Power Windows.  "Memorability" is 100% subjective to the listener.  

I totally agree; you find the songs on those albums memorable and I don't; I find them meandering and boring.  But as you said, memorability is 100% subjective so there is no wrong or right interpretation.

One other thing I should probably mention: As I get older I find that my patience for "grower albums" has gone from limited to almost nil. I'm not even sure I would enjoy a new Tull album at this point because for me, most Tull albums definitely didn't sit well upon first listen (Aqualung and Heavy Horses are the only exceptions I can think of off hand). These days I'm all about being able to sing along to the chorus the second or third time I hear it. Call it the "sleaze effect".

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 7:32 pm

tohostudios wrote:

One other thing I should probably mention:  As I get older I find that my patience for "grower albums" has gone from limited to almost nil.  I'm not even sure I would enjoy a new Tull album at this point because for me, most Tull albums definitely didn't sit well upon first listen (Aqualung and Heavy Horses are the only exceptions I can think of off hand).  These days I'm all about being able to sing along to the chorus the second or third time I hear it.  Call it the "sleaze effect".

I'm 100% hard opposite of that.

If an album hits me right away I usually get tired of it after 4 or 5 listens.

I want albums that have to be digested, that continually offer up new experiences, that are complex and layered. I want to hear excellent musicians playing music that challenges me.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 8:18 pm

I don't spend a lot of time listening to music anymore so it's all about the immediacy for me now. I don't think I spend more than an hour a day with music these days so maybe that's another reason my views have changed.

I used to be like you; albums I liked right away grew stale quickly while albums that grew on me ended up being favorites. But I just don't have the time for "growers" any more.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Moving Pictures for me.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 3:38 am

Fly By Night for me. I actually have all the albums listed (bands like Rush, Yes, etc. are easy to collect at used CD stores) which is a first for me. I like them all, but FBN is just the more memorable material to me.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 12:01 pm

Very difficult to choose from this list as there is something to like with each of these albums. I chose 2112 because it was my introduction to Rush through a friend at college. I could have easily gone with "Fly By Night" as Neal Peart's debut with the band. A distinct change from the first album. "Moving Pictures" could have been my choice as well as the perfect balance between commercially appealing and progressive rock.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Sometimes "favorite" and "best" vary. "Hemispheres" is my favorite, but "Moving Pictures" is the best.

Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

Number of posts : 120

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 1:33 pm

I could make a case for any of the albums on that list. My favorite is A Farewell To Kings.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 11:10 am

Rush never got more or less "proggy" in my estimation. Even their "hard rock" albums have really atypical rhythms and riffs, so they never do "stupid" unless it's an inside joke they slip in somewhere.

They have a similar arc to Genesis, without the obvious landmark of a singer leaving and even THAT is kind of deceptive because Genesis with Phil Collins sounded the same for another album or two before things sort of started to change. Even pop material from Genesis has tricky bits, hence why I love the band.

But both Genesis and Rush have the common marker of moving from OBVIOUSLY complex music to stuff that reveals its complexity if you're paying attention. Hemispheres was the last TRICKY Rush album. After that, it started to streamline, but the complexity never went away, it just stopped taking center stage.

Just my take.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7631

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 11:12 am

I have none of these albums or any other Rush albums for that matter. For some reason they've never clicked with me. I think I will buy all of these albums and give them a listen to see if they'll appeal to me.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 11:25 am

Even though I voted for Hemispheres, I'd recommend starting with 2112, because it's a pretty good sampler of what the band is capable of.

It's also what allowed me to get over my allergy to Geddy Lee as a vocalist in my teens. Seriously, that man KILLS it on there.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 12:07 pm

Runicen wrote:
They have a similar arc to Genesis, without the obvious landmark of a singer leaving and even THAT is kind of deceptive because Genesis with Phil Collins sounded the same for another album or two before things sort of started to change.

And that was when Steve Hackett left. I think his departure had more of an effect on Genesis than Phil Collins taking over, yet Collins is the one who gets all the blame.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 12:17 pm

Citanul wrote:
Runicen wrote:
They have a similar arc to Genesis, without the obvious landmark of a singer leaving and even THAT is kind of deceptive because Genesis with Phil Collins sounded the same for another album or two before things sort of started to change.

And that was when Steve Hackett left.  I think his departure had more of an effect on Genesis than Phil Collins taking over, yet Collins is the one who gets all the blame.

It was most definitely when Hackett left, most of the prog boards I frequent agree with this as well.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 12:28 pm

No argument there, but even "And Then There Were Three..." still has a lot of the same textures as what came before. Duke was really the big break stylistically.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 7:55 pm

S.D. wrote:
Citanul wrote:
Runicen wrote:

And that was when Steve Hackett left.  I think his departure had more of an effect on Genesis than Phil Collins taking over, yet Collins is the one who gets all the blame.

It was most definitely when Hackett left, most of the prog boards I frequent agree with this as well.  

I would agree with this as well.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Buddy Hackett was in Genesis ?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Moving Pictures
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Classic Rush   Classic Rush - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Classic Rush
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2