Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih

Go down 
+14
Witchfinder
Glower
glassprison
Eyesore
ultmetal
assault_attack
MetallicSeminarian
Runicen
Boris2008
MetalGuy71
corplhicks
manny
Fat Freddy
Harold Benson
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 8:25 pm

Aerosmith, at least to this fan (lapsed since the late 90s), is one of those classic bands that made the mistake of going all "focus group" in the modern era.

You know what I'm talking about: after some experimentation with different musical forms (which I thought Nine Lives did AMAZINGLY while keeping a core sound intact - kind of their version of Queensryche's Promised Land for the change in sound), they go, "Oh shit! We aren't #1 anymore... What do the fans want? Should we do what we did in the 80s? We tried that and it didn't work! Oh crap... What did we do in the 70s? Can we still do that? Hell with it - tell everyone that's what we're doing and fake it!"

It's the main reason I really couldn't abide R.E.M. doing "Monster." They did two amazing mellow albums, then said, "We're getting back to our rock roots," and then released what sounded like an album of Michael Stipe talking over the backing tracks from the last Garbage album. I was sitting there asking, "Did any of you actually LISTEN to what you sounded like when you were doing straight rock? Here's a hint - you didn't put PHASER on everything!"

Granted, just my opinion, but moves that smack of "We're playing to the demographic to regain market share" always leave me cold unless the band is so incredibly BAD at it that what they create is good in spite of their intentions. See: Gary Numan in the late 80s.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 9:34 pm

I have no real interest in Aerosmith from Permanent Vacation onward. Overplayed,overexposed boring music to me. I saw Aerosmith with KISS a few years back and found the show very enjoyable though. I'd gladly see them again but I doubt I'd ever buy anything put out by them again.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 10:21 pm

The only Aerosmith I haven't been able to get into is Music From Another Dimension. I'm not quite sure why, since it has elements from all the other styles the band has done, all of which I've enjoyed.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 11:42 pm

To me the album that really sums up the "Classic" Aerosmith era is Rocks...to me it doesn't get any better for this band then this...

The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih - Page 2 41qwGP7qDsL._AA160_
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 9:47 am

I have tons of Aerosmith bootleg DVD's ( OK more like ten of them), and I amazed how good they were. Even the one bootleg with Jimmy Crespo, where Tyler has sniffed up half of Peru up his nose, the energy remained high (pun intended).

I like all of their albums, even on their weakest album (Just Push Play) has some good songs on it.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 9:48 am

brokentulsa wrote:
To me the album that really sums up the "Classic" Aerosmith era is Rocks...to me it doesn't get any better for this band then this...

Rocks is simple awesome. It's what made me a fan.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 10:01 am

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:

Rocks is brilliant! Heavy as a loaded freight train barreling down the tracks, especially for 1976. I mean, what was heavier than "Nobody's Fault" in '76? The whole album is awesome.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 10:19 am

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:

My favorite Aerosmith album
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 10:25 am

glassprison wrote:
The only Aerosmith I haven't been able to get into is Music From Another Dimension. I'm not quite sure why, since it has elements from all the other styles the band has done, all of which I've enjoyed.

Try skipping the ballads and just play the rockers. Works better that way. It's a good album, just needs some of the fat trimmed off.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 12:10 pm

I lost interest about the time of "Permanent Vacation" and "Pump".  There are well written songs on both of those albums.  Everything back, "Done With Mirrors" to "Aerosmith" is golden.  !4K to 24K

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 12:42 pm

brokentulsa wrote:

I agree, the only Aerosmith album I like enough to own.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 1:13 pm

DeathCult wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:

I agree, the only Aerosmith album I like enough to own.

nah, you just like "rocks"

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2