Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Underrated CLASSIC!

Go down 
+12
Trial by Fire
spiritoradio
caniplaywithmadness?
Todd Jaymz
Lurideath
Olafsto
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
mc666
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Underrated CLASSIC! Empty
PostSubject: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 11:11 am

Underrated CLASSIC! 41CF1DZFGSL._AA240_
Wrapped with one of the worst covers in rock, this album is packed full of some of my favorite Sabbath tunes! Zero the Hero is a MONSTER! "Trashed", "Digital Bi tch" and Disturbing the Priest" are all barnstormers as well.

I just received the Born Again Unmixed Demos, which includes a song that was left off the album. Freakin' fantastic demos.

Ian Gillan rules!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 11:40 am

I've recently purchased this and I'm hearing it for the first time. Since I'm not basing it on a "new release" or comparing it to older Sabbath, I can say that I really enjoy it. I knew Gillian could sing, but I've never heard him hit such high notes on some of this material.

I suppose if I was listening to this back when it originally came out, it would be easy to criticize Iommi for "selling out" or changing the Sabbath-sound, but it sounds great to me.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 11:43 am

no one gave this album the respect it deserved. it was really quite good & holds up against any of the Osbourne/Dio material.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 11:53 am

Great album! Although I understand that the experience of making it (and the tour that followed) was so horrible for Iommi that he doesn't speak about it to this very day. Apparently he and Gillan didn't get along very well
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 11:59 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Great album! Although I understand that the experience of making it (and the tour that followed) was so horrible for Iommi that he doesn't speak about it to this very day. Apparently he and Gillan didn't get along very well

I saw the tour and it was awesome! 🤘

As for Iommi and Gillan, I don't think that is true any longer. Iommi makes a guest appearance on the latest Gillan CD. They redo the song "Trashed" together.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 12:16 pm

Yea, I have heard that Tony and Ian get along nowadays.

The "tiny Stonehenge" bit in "Spinal Tap" was inspired by a too-large Stonehenge set that Sabbath used on the "Born Again" tour, too. It was so big that it wouldn't fit into half of the concert venues
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 12:19 pm

I saw them at the Spectrum in Philadelphia and they had that massive set. It was cool.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Quiet Riot opened that tour, didn't they Ult? I remember hearing ads for it on the radio. At the time I was all about Quiet Riot (hey, I was only 13) so I was like "Boy, I'd like to go!"
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 12:24 pm

Yup, Quiet Riot on their Metal Health tour.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 12:35 pm

I wonder how many people were showing up for Quiet Riot and then leaving. At that time, their album was probably outselling Sabbaths' album 50 to 1 Smile
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:08 pm

Good stuff. I don't mind the cover at all.

The live footage from that tour is hilarious with Ian not knowing the words.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:50 pm

Killer album!!!!
When I play it at home I don`t leave the cover laying around as my wife freaks when she sees it:lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 2:05 pm

I don't mind the cover. Kinda creepy, sure. It may have seemed more shocking when it first hit the shelves back in the 80's but by today's standards, well...Sleep
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 2:19 pm

Yeah this album is indeed an underrated classic!
Back to top Go down
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 2:43 pm

This is my favorite Sabbath! The video for Trashed is pretty funny to watch today-TJ
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 3:36 pm

terrible cover art, terrible production, great songs
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 4:51 pm

caniplaywithmadness? wrote:
terrible production

VERY true. Has there ever been a remastered CD of this album? I still have my old vinyl copy but have never upgraded it.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 5:45 pm

I think that the Castle version from England, which is readily available in America as an "import", even though it's only like a dollar or two more than any regular CD, is the only version available right now, I believe.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 5:49 pm

I have the remastered Castle version.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Trial by Fire

Number of posts : 271

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 6:01 pm

I picked up the vinyl of Born Again at a flea market about 4 years ago for only 50 cents!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 6:59 pm

This is the ULTIMATE Sabbath release as far as I'm concerned. What an awesome classic. Every song (not counting the little interlude musicals) is so good,I couldn't pick a favorite.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 7:10 pm

Hot Line and Born Again are my favs. off that disc. Good stuff...good stuff.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 11:10 am

spiritoradio wrote:
I think that the Castle version from England, which is readily available in America as an "import", even though it's only like a dollar or two more than any regular CD, is the only version available right now, I believe.

I recently picked up the Castle Remaster version off of ebay for under $10 bucks, including shipping. Brand new, still wrapped with the remaster gold sticker on it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Trial by Fire wrote:
I picked up the vinyl of Born Again at a flea market about 4 years ago for only 50 cents!

I can beat that by a penny! I bought my BORN AGAIN vinyl LP at a K-Mart in the mid-80s when they were clearing out the vinyl records. I got the BORN AGAIN and Krokus' METAL RENDEZ-VOUS LPs for 49 cents apiece!! Still one of the best deals I ever got!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 1:39 pm

I've been meaning to but the album as well (bulking up my Sabbath collection) I've heard mixed feelings about the album. A lot of people saying it's a bad album, bu a lot of people saying they liked it...
But what could be bad about Gillain fronting Sabbath?

Zero The Hero's a good song, and it was the last album that Bill Ward and Terry Butler worked on with the band for some time. There's an interview with Geezer, Tony and Ian on Youtube. Go look for it!

(Oh, apparently it's claimed that the famed Stonehenge set was probably left on some dock somewhere.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Underrated CLASSIC!   Underrated CLASSIC! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Underrated CLASSIC!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next