Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih

Go down 
+14
Witchfinder
Glower
glassprison
Eyesore
ultmetal
assault_attack
MetallicSeminarian
Runicen
Boris2008
MetalGuy71
corplhicks
manny
Fat Freddy
Harold Benson
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Harold Benson
Metal novice
Metal novice
Harold Benson

Number of posts : 22

The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Empty
PostSubject: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 3:26 pm

I think the classic era of Aerosmith started with ST and ended with "Pump" ... I am no "Hard Rock" expert , but Aerosmith is a band I got into (because of nolifetilmetal.com ) but I think albums like Get a Grip and Nine Lives are complete Sold Outs , I don´t know ... they came here to my country and they where not even willing to play Classic 70´s stuff , only mellower ballads from recent records , so what do you think ? can we call these 90´s and 2000´s Aerosmith CDs as "legit" Rock N Roll ? BTW who would on earth ever call Aerosmith a "Metal" band ?  lol!  they are great , but to my ears they are the "definition" of what pure Hard Rock was , in the 70´s and 80´s era ...

There are bands that walk the line between Hard Rock and "Heavy Metal" , in my opinion some of these are: early Saxon , Early Riot , some Ozzy Osbourne early albums (depends on which ) and so on , but Aerosmith doesn´t sound metal in any songs to my ears ...

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 3:28 pm

They were a great band once. ONCE. My interest in them pretty much ended with the "Pump" album. Thankfully I saw them twice on that tour so I can remember them in a nice way.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Harold Benson
Metal novice
Metal novice
Harold Benson

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 3:35 pm

Many "hipsters" I know accuse Aerosmith of being a "pop-commercial" band when I mention them ... they don´t know anything about their glorious past ...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 3:51 pm

You have to remember that when Aerosmith's first album was released it was labeled metal as where the rest of their 70's discography.

If they had come out today, that term would not have been used to label them. The term metal at the time was still being formulated and cross section of bands that had nothing in common would get labeled metal, mostly bands critics hated such as... you guessed it Aerosmith.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 3:59 pm

I'll tell you who is metal: The Elusive Ze_Mau.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 4:02 pm

Permanent Vacation, Pump and Get a Grip are the only albums I've heard and even then I only know the singles well. I really liked the Get a Grip trio of singles. (Livin on the Edge, Cryin & Crazy) as they were permanently on MTV. I remember a rumour that the band had recorded a completely different album prior to Get a Grip and been told by the label that they wouldn't release it and basically start again with that album being the result. (I have no idea if this actually happened)

I've got no problem with poppy bluesy Aerosmith as I think that it suits Steven's voice

(and yeah hicks, I think he's going for some kind of record for how many times he can get banned  lol! )
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 4:02 pm

Quote :
I think albums like Get a Grip and Nine Lives are complete Sold Outs

I don't see them as "sell outs". Unlike allot of their 70's brethren, Aerosmith got a second chance in the 80's with Permanent Vacation. They found a formula that worked and stuck with it through the 90's and beyond. It allowed them to make boatloads of money and fill stadiums. Only a fool would begrudge them for that. They did what they had to do to survive.

Ask some other 70's band that "stuck to their guns and never sold-out to the man" through the 80's and beyond next time they're taking your order at McDonald's.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 4:09 pm

I have a hard time with Aerosmith as a "good years" and "bad years" concept. Granted, they lost me after Nine Lives, which was their last great album in my estimation; but I don't think they were great until 1980 and then blew the proverbial load.

Then again, I grew up hearing the singles from Permanent Vacation all over the place, so those songs reside in a special place in memory for me. Then, going back, I found that there was even MORE good stuff to listen to!

It's kind of the same with my view of King Crimson. I love all of it, but there's a range of material by one band to suit many moods and tastes. That's got to be considered a good thing, right?
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 4:17 pm

I'm not sure how one can think Nine Lives is poppier and less rocking than Permanent Vacation.

I like all Aerosmith.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 4:18 pm

I'm a big Aerosmith fan, but I can easily divide them into 2 separate entities, the "classic" era and..."beyond the classic era". Both can be quite enjoyable depending on the mood I'm in. The classic era gets more play time overall, but I can find myself wanting to hear 90's-era stuff too and not have a problem with it.

Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 4:27 pm

I think in the 80's with MTV  and radio play it was a good idea for older bands from the 70"s I.E. Heart, Cheap Trick to have outside people compose hit songs for them..   You had a name & a hit keeps you in the limelight .. Makes you money , Keeps your career alive.   But to keep your old fan base & artistic dignity you still need to write the other 8-10 songs on the cd..

That did not always happen..
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 5:05 pm

manny wrote:
You have to remember that when Aerosmith's first album was released it was labeled metal as where the rest of their 70's discography.

If they had come out today, that term would not have been used to label them. The term metal at the time was still being formulated and cross section of bands that had nothing in common would get labeled metal, mostly bands critics hated such as... you guessed it Aerosmith.

This!

Aerosmith were one of the poster-boys for heavy metal in the 1970's. If you are trying to apply a modern definition of what metal has become, then no Aerosmith are not heavy metal. But the fact remains, they were one of the bands commonly referred to as "heavy metal" by a generation of fans in the 70's, by the media and even by the record company.

The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Scan007-1

And their heavy 70's sound ended with Rock in a Hard Place, or arguably Done With Mirrors. With Permanent Vacation the outside songwriters, ballads and slicker production were all in place. I still love those albums too, but the change in sound/style was definitely apparent.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 5:08 pm

Speaking of Aerosmith, Tyler and Perry just put out that re-recording of "Dream On" for the Boston Strong thing. The video was released a while ago, but you can nab it digitally now. Only costs 99 cents. Pretty cool version.

Doesn't touch the original, of course, but it's cool.
Back to top Go down
Harold Benson
Metal novice
Metal novice
Harold Benson

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 6:04 pm

ultmetal wrote:
manny wrote:

This!

Aerosmith were one of the poster-boys for heavy metal in the 1970's. If you are trying to apply a modern definition of what metal has become, then no Aerosmith are not heavy metal. But the fact remains, they were one of the bands commonly referred to as "heavy metal" by a generation of fans in the 70's, by the media and even by the record company.

The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Scan007-1

And their heavy 70's sound ended with Rock in a Hard Place, or arguably Done With Mirrors. With Permanent Vacation the outside songwriters, ballads and slicker production were all in place. I still love those albums too, but the change in sound/style was definitely apparent.

Well I actually listened to very few of their 80´s material. But I´m expecting great stuff from both "Rock in a Hard Place" and "Done With Mirrors" ...
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 6:12 pm

Quote :
they came here to my country and they where not even willing to play Classic 70´s stuff

What tour was this? On all recent tours that I can think of they've had quite a varied setlist, with material from most eras represented. I can't remember any tour where they didn't play any "classic era" songs.
Back to top Go down
Harold Benson
Metal novice
Metal novice
Harold Benson

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 6:24 pm

I actually read that in a newspaper: "Aerosmith show: lots of ballads and no "hard rock""
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Yes, I've seen Aerosmith 10x or more and they always played a mix with a lot of old and new stuff mixed together.

The last show they played was...

Back in the Saddle
Eat the Rich
Love in an Elevator
Cryin'
Livin' on the Edge
Monkey on My Back
Kings and Queens
Toys in the Attic
Rag Doll
The Peter Gunn Theme (Henry Mancini cover)
Stop Messin' Around (Fleetwood Mac cover)
Big Ten Inch Record
Lord of the Thighs
I Don't Want to Miss a Thing
No More No More
Dude (Looks Like a Lady)
Walk This Way
Dream On
Sweet Emotion

Metal novice
Metal novice
Harold Benson

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 6:28 pm

The so called "Aerosmith fans" over here I know only know about their ... "hits" ... ya know that horrible mellow stuff MTV played all the time back in the 90´s ...
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 6:34 pm

For me, all Aerosmith is good Aerosmith.

Although I could live without ever hearing Dream On or Dude (Looks Like a Lady) again.
Back to top Go down
Harold Benson
Metal novice
Metal novice
Harold Benson

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 6:41 pm

I think "Dude looks like a lady" is a great song !!! I don´t blame / condemn the "hipsters" I know for saying Aerosmith is a "pop-commercial" band if everything they heard from them is: Crazy ... Crying ... Hole in My Soul ... Angel ... I don´t Wanna Miss a Thing ... Full Circle ... Pink ... Girls of Summer ... couldn´t think of anything less "rock" than such songs ... In fact I need to show these hipsters classic Aerosmith material all the time to "prove´em" I´m not a "pop fan" and that Aerosmith was a band that defined Hard Rock along with Ted Nugent and other ones.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 6:51 pm

Harold Benson wrote:
I actually read that in a newspaper: "Aerosmith show: lots of ballads and no "hard rock""

Suspect 
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 7:09 pm

You might want to check the setlist rather than going off of vague headlines. If you type "Aerosmith" and your country name into setlist.fm I'm sure you can find out the details.

Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 7:16 pm

Those first four lps - were outstanding - back to back to back to back
How many bands have done that ? Perhaps it's because I'm from Boston LOL -
My older brother transformed me from little kid into The Beatles
to teenager listening to Toys In The Attic lp -
OOOoohhhhh I really enjoyed " Walk this Way " book - I laughed out loud etc
knew their history - all my life - but how the puzzle pieces came together with the book -
Saw them in concert way too late - but the originals were all together !
Toxic Twins - for sure -
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 7:18 pm

I really like their 70s and 80s material. I am not much of a fan of their newer stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 7:53 pm

I remember being absolutely floored when I saw them on the "Pump" tour and they busted into "Seasons of Wither" from "Get Your Wings"...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih   The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The "Classic Era" of Aerosmtih
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next