Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record

Go down 
+27
Citanul
DallasBlack
Thelemech
nevermore
brokentulsa
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
exact33
Lovecraft
bass63
MoonChild
Fat Freddy
akeldama
Shawn Of Fire
Headbanger Man
thejokeriv
mikeinfla
mc666
DeathCult
glassprison
Temple of Blood
tohostudios
corplhicks
chewie
MetallicSeminarian
James B.
Witchfinder
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

The Worst of Van Hagar
 The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Vote_lcap0% The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
OU812
 The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Vote_lcap33% The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 33% [ 10 ]
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
 The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Vote_lcap7% The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
Live: Right Here, Right Now
 The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Vote_lcap17% The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 5 ]
Balance
 The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Vote_lcap43% The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 43% [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 30

AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 7:42 pm

I bought Van Halen I
It was the best damn record I ever owned
TG&Y 1978

Two hand tapping guitar technique
Really got me off eruption yeah
Ain't talkin' 'bout love, I'm on fire

Tomorrow may come
Tomorrow may never come again
Can't you hear Jamie cryin'?
She's runnin' with the devil alone, alone

I bought Women and Children First
Fair Warning and Van Halen II
Dance the night away

1984 my favorite record yeah I wore it down
Might as well jump, might as well jump

Is this what you wanted, Sammy Hagar?
Sammy Hagar, is this what you wanted, man?
Dave lost his hairline but you lost your cool buddy
Can't drive 55

I'll never buy your lousy records again, again, again
Never again, never again, never again, never again
Never again, no no no
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 7:45 pm

I am surprised anyone would love 1984 yet hate Van Hagar. The songwriting is similar and similarly poppy. I do understand loving the first 4 and hating Van Hagar.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Balance was the worst...has some very dark songs on it and didn't really hit me as a fun Hagar/van halen record...
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 8:56 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
I am surprised anyone would love 1984 yet hate Van Hagar. The songwriting is similar and similarly poppy. I do understand loving the first 4 and hating Van Hagar.

I'm not a fan of 1984 except for Panama and Hot for Teacher. House of Pain was nothing like the original demo, Jump wore off its novelty, and the rest of the songs are over-polished filler.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 9:30 pm

For me it's Balance.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 9:46 pm

All of them  lol! 

I actually thought F.U.C.K was ok.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 9:47 pm

corplhicks wrote:
MetallicSeminarian wrote:

I'm not a fan of 1984 except for Panama and Hot for Teacher. House of Pain was nothing like the original demo, Jump wore off its novelty, and the rest of the songs are over-polished filler.

See, you're consistent Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 10:36 pm

Balance, though I never hated Van Hagar. Especially F.U.C.K. which IMO is a great album no matter what you naysayers spew about it Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 10:56 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Balance, though I never hated Van Hagar. Especially F.U.C.K. which IMO is a great album no matter what you naysayers spew about it Very Happy.

It is really good (don't know if I'd go as far as great) and seminal for me since it was the first VH album I ever owned (and of course it dominated MTV). But Templeman did a great job with the sonics on that album, and Eddie retired the meandering, mad scientist experimentation that made the previous two albums so out of touch. It was an upfront, honest-to-god sort of record that harkened back to better days. And Right Now has tons of power to it.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:10 am

5150 is my favorite VH album of any era. I cant tell you how many times I watched the Live Without A Net VHS tape from that tour when I was still barely in kindergarten.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 4:09 am

tohostudios wrote:
Where's the "All of them" button?

That wouldn't fit the question. They can't all be the worst unless they're all equally as bad. But in that case they would technically all also be the best. [/pedantry]
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 6:57 am

I am not surprised alot of people picked 'Balance' but I personally loved the album, it had a darker vibe (at least by Van Halen standards) then anything they have released before or since.

I voted 'OU812' its not a terrible album, but its their worst album with Hagar, and their cover of the Little Feat tune 'Apolitical Blues' was a disaster
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 8:52 am

manny wrote:
I am not surprised alot of people picked 'Balance' but I personally loved the album, it had a darker vibe (at least by Van Halen standards) then anything they have released before or since.

I voted 'OU812' its not a terrible album, but its their worst album with Hagar, and their cover of the Little Feat tune 'Apolitical Blues' was a disaster

Agreed on all counts.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 11:14 am

Voted for OU812, but not because it's bad. Probably just the least listened to of the studio albums. I don't have the live album.

I'm surprised by the votes for Balance. I thought that one was great.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 2:40 pm

James B. wrote:
All of them.   I dig solo Sammy and DLR Van Halen, but both together... not so much

Yup.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 2:52 pm

Looks like Balance and OU812 are tied. About what I expected.

As for 5150, I enjoy the singles off the album (Dreams is a guilty pleasure) but the rest of the album, which I suppose is half, is all over the place and not the tight little R&R package they were known for. Most of all, though, I hate Alex's drums. Yuck.
Back to top Go down
Nomadic Drifter
Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 4:03 pm

It's beeen ages since I listened to any of them. (I don't have the live one, so can't make a fair comment)
Anyway, I voted Balance. For me, with that album, there was nothing that really clicked. The other three all are able to capture a moment in time with me that Balance never did. May have to give it another chance since a few of you are defending it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record    The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Worst Hagar-era Van Halen record
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2