Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?

Go down 
+18
CRIMSONMASK
Short-Fuse
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
joe_metal
Shawn Of Fire
corplhicks
Required Fields
Glower
mc666
brokentulsa
Witchfinder
metalheaded
TheGreatDuck
BearOnUnicycle
Boris2008
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Best Grimmett works?
Grim Reaper
Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Vote_lcap74%Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Vote_rcap
 74% [ 20 ]
Onslaught
Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Vote_lcap19%Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Vote_rcap
 19% [ 5 ]
Lionsheart
Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Vote_lcap4%Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Grimmstine
Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Vote_lcap0%Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
other
Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Vote_lcap3%Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 27

AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Empty
PostSubject: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 6:34 am

A lifer, to be sure. This guy has recorded on dozens of albums, but I never hear anyone mention him.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 6:35 am

I think In Search of Sanity is a Monster album! Wish they could've made that work for at least one more.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 6:41 am

He's an okay singer, never fitted Onslaught. He just wasn't a thrash metal guy.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 6:47 am

Love In Search... But being not a big thrash fan, that might not be compliment to the album. Voted for Grim Reaper - Rock You to Hell is such a great album.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 6:48 am

Actually, he might well be the only NWOBHM vocalist aside from Bruce that I see included among the best metal singers from time to time. Even though some, like DiAnno, Elliott or Byford are better known, of course.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 10:56 am

As ridiculous as it is, his physical looks could be one reason.
Another could be the cheese factor of Grim Reaper's lyrics, as well as Onslaught's lyrical reputation that began with Power From Hell, even though Steve didn't sing on that one.

Definitely an excellent and underrated vocalist, though.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 1:11 pm

Amazing vocalist. One of my all time favorites. In Search of Sanity is the best thing Onslaught ever did. His work with Chateaux is excellent as well - even though he wasn't credited as their lead vocalist - he was. Check it out:

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Amazing vocalist.  One of my all time favorites.  In Search of Sanity is the best thing Onslaught ever did.

In your opinion, I hate it.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 2:41 pm

Grim Reaper!!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Amazing vocalist.  One of my all time favorites.  In Search of Sanity is the best thing Onslaught ever did.

I do too.

Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 3:47 pm

Chateaux - was really cool stuff - - " Run Into The Night " - " Shine On " -
I was going to hit ~ other ~ because Chateaux was just that good -
a gothic - primative - hard driving - early metal sound -
His voice is what brought that vibe out - very unique - as if Dio's younger brother !
Saw Grim Reaper in concert too - he had a broken leg -
a small venue in the 80's - afternoon show - I was amazed -
200 of us - he had a great presence - ha ha great lp art too !
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 5:35 pm

My favorite album he sang on would be Onslaught - In Search of Sanity.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 5:55 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

So which Onslaught is your favorite?

Album one where they ripped off Venom?
Album two where they ripped off Slayer?
Album three where they ripped off Metallica, but with a great vocalist?
 lol! 
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 8:59 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

How about the newer albums where they rip off Exodus? They are all better than In Search of Sanity IMO.

Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 11:00 pm

mc666 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

How about the newer albums where they rip off Exodus? They are all better than In Search of Sanity IMO.

Or the ones where they ripped off Slayer or Venom, they were better too. Steve Grimmet was the record companies choice as was the godawful cover song. In Search of Sanity was the archetypical 'sell out' record and the fans knew it, they got some new fans for about five minutes and then the band was dead. It took over a decade and going back to Sy Keeler (who is a limited singer but much better suited to what Onslaught are about) for them to gain any credibility with their fanbase again.

I don't want to bag on Steve Grimmet or the trad metal style but at that time Thrash was new, young and exciting, his vocals sounded like a throwback and a sellout.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 11:12 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Or the ones where they ripped off Slayer or Venom, they were better too. Steve Grimmet was the record companies choice as was the godawful cover song. In Search of Sanity was the archetypical 'sell out' record and the fans knew it, they got some new fans for about five minutes and then the band was dead. It took over a decade and going back to Sy Keeler (who is a limited singer but much better suited to what Onslaught are about) for them to gain any credibility with their fanbase again.

I don't want to bag on Steve Grimmet or the trad metal style but at that time Thrash was new, young and exciting, his vocals sounded like a throwback and a sellout.

Well it was there best selling album, so the "sellout" worked. I think Grimmet's vocals only added class to that outfit. Just like every other band he's ever been in.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 11:13 pm

Grim Reaper to be sure. And In Search Of Sanity Kicks ass ! You naysayers need to clean out your ears !  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 11:59 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

Well it was there best selling album, so the "sellout" worked.  I think Grimmet's vocals only added class to that outfit.  Just like every other band he's ever been in.

Load has outsold Kill Em All & Ride the Lightning combined, since when were sales any indication of quality?  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 12:49 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Well it was there best selling album, so the "sellout" worked.  I think Grimmet's vocals only added class to that outfit.  Just like every other band he's ever been in.

Load has outsold Kill Em All & Ride the Lightning combined, since when were sales any indication of quality?  lol! 

When did I ever say sales = quality?

Also Load has sold 5 million.  Kill 'Em All and Ride combined have sold 9 million. Ride alone has sold 6 million.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 1:05 am

In Search of Sanity is actually my favorite Onslaught album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 1:10 am

I like him, but I've only heard him in Onslaught and Grim Reaper. I'll have to check out the others.

As for In Search of Sanity, I'm on the fence with that one. I like the songwriting and potential, but the production is lacking. Certainly not their finest hour, but could've been.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 1:41 am

The problem is, while Onslaught are a good band and Grimmett is a good singer, he really isn't suited for the style, which resulted in an album that sucked, and sucked pretty hard at that. It's like if Dave Mustaine sang on a Journey or Foreigner record - while his vocals are suited for thrash, him singing AOR would make a disaster, just like Grimmett singing thrash was.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 9:34 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Also Load has sold 5 million.  Kill 'Em All and Ride combined have sold 9 million.  Ride alone has sold 6 million.  

By the list I saw Kill Em All 4 million Ride 6 million Load 10.3 million worldwide.

http://prasiante-rockupation.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/metallica-discography-with-sales.html

and you were the one who brought sales figures into a conversation about favorite Onslaught albums.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 9:47 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Also Load has sold 5 million.  Kill 'Em All and Ride combined have sold 9 million.  Ride alone has sold 6 million.  

By the list I saw Kill Em All 4 million Ride 6 million Load 10.3 million worldwide.

http://prasiante-rockupation.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/metallica-discography-with-sales.html

and you were the one who brought sales figures into a conversation about favorite Onslaught albums.

My sales are the RIAA sales figures. Again, I never said sales equal quality. What I said was their sellout album worked for them saleswise. It also happens to be my personal favorite of theirs. The two aren't related. Grimmett is an excellent vocalist and he made In Search For Sanity unique. I can't think of any other albums that sound like Metallica with a great lead singer. For me, the combination was amazing.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 9:52 am

Wow ! This is a cool banter - I like it ! The metal essentials LOL -
Can someone post a youtube Onslaught song that they think is good ?
Or the best Lionheart song ? - I'd love to check it out - see if it's worth buying !
" Search For Sanity " sounds like 'they' picked the appropriate title for the project that year -
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?   Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steve Grimmett - underappreciated vox?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next