Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Purchase Break

Go down 
+16
jstate
A Handful of Wayne
DallasBlack
nevermore
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
exact33
Lovecraft
chewie
manny
SAHB Healer
corplhicks
MetallicSeminarian
Fat Freddy
Runicen
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Purchase Break - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 7:50 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Plus, I finally got over the "must have the physical copy" mentality and downloads are significantly cheaper than CDs most of the time.

When I do start getting music again, I will have to go that route (as catching up to all I'm missing-Judas Priest, Overkill, Accept, Vanishing Point, H.E.A.T., Stryper, etc.-will get expensive with physical copies) but even being cheaper, right now I can't fit it into my budget (especially when I get another vehicle), plus I just don't get around to listening to music much anymore (except familiar favorites that I blast before going into work).

The temptation is still strong to buy CDs as I almost purchased the new Priest several weeks ago and almost got the new Overkill today when picking up a replacement MP3 player (I figured with adding over $100 on my credit card, what's another $12). I reminded myself that I would probably not listen to it anytime soon and resisted.

I will probably get another job (part-time) this fall and depending on whether I can listen to music at this job and how much more income it will provide, I may be finally able to purchase again...

...Or if I win the lottery Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 12:13 am

I've slowed down a lot... well, not in the last few weeks or so but as a whole I really slowed down. Lately I've just bought stuff by the bands who are my main listens. Thankfully this time of the year is kind of slow so I haven't really had much to get, but lately a lot of bands have been doing the indigogo thing or pledgemusic or whatever else site there is. If I see a band I really like doing something on those sites and I'm able to get something autographed I usually jump on it right away.

I've seriously really been needing to pay off bills now even more so that I got married haha, so I really have toned the music buying down. Mostly the reason why I haven't really been posting too much on here and I also havent been adding my recent purchases. This way I figure I won't feel like I'm competing with other people. Hahaha

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 12:17 am

Thanks for reminding me PDR. When I said I can either get another job or win the lottery I forgot that I always have another option. Marry someone who makes good money Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 12:21 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Thanks for reminding me PDR. When I said I can either get another job or win the lottery I forgot that I always have another option. Marry someone who makes good money Very Happy.

lol! Oh and its PRD!!! I should really change my name by now. There is no more Phoenix Reign hahaha

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 1:44 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

lol! Oh and its PRD!!! I should really change my name by now. There is no more Phoenix Reign hahaha

Give me a break, 'R' and 'D' are too close together insane.  Why not just use your real name, Wayne Noon is a neat name.

Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 9:11 am

I'm just not finding the bargains like I was. That's the primary thing driving my lack of purchases. Also I'm in a state of wanting to listen to the stuff I already have. Just time to live with the collection I have for a bit and not worry about adding to it. Plus the things I really really want has narrowed considerably.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 9:31 am

I'm dyin' to get the new Priest and Overkill discs but I just ain't got the scratch right now so they're gonna have to wait. Stuff like that used to bug the hell out of me (I was always "that guy" running to the store on the release date so I could get the coveted First Day Copy!) but I've learned to let it go over the past few years.

By the time I get the next infusion into my PayPal account the new Accept should also be out and I can snag all three in one shot.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 3:59 pm

I have a weird relationship with collecting because I'm always casting around for that next "GOTCHA" moment in music. I love finding a new band, latching on to their stuff and taking in EVERYTHING they ever committed to tape. Unfortunately, that habit has a tendency to lead to huge stacks of albums and CDs I haven't even given an inaugural spin to.

Ultimately, I want to get to the point where, instead of ordering 10 cds, I order 2 and actually spend some time with them. You know, "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" and all that. Elvis Costello actually did an interview with Joni Mitchell where he was talking about how his first experiences with her stuff were so rich because he could only afford to buy an album at a time and had to really SIT with the thing. As he made more money, he just bought and bought and bought and lost that connection. I think there's something to be said for willpower.

Speaking of, I just betrayed my total lack of that by violating the moratorium on buying new stuff courtesy of a big collection of used metal that came up at the store my friend works in. This is the double-edged knife of having friends who work in awesome establishments.

The spirit was willing... Actually, who am I kidding? The spirit was totally ready to chuck that business given the first excuse.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2014 1:30 pm

I am a lot more judicious in my purchases. I have also been going back through my collection and ripping what i have - it is a lot of fun and get to hear stuff i have not heard in awhile. I am almost finished ripping my collection though J.

exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2014 6:45 pm

now almost done ripping though K.

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2014 9:38 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Give me a break, 'R' and 'D' are too close together insane.  Why not just use your real name, Wayne Noon is a neat name.

Hahaha I'm afraid to change it then no one would know who I was and block me

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2014 9:42 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I'm dyin' to get the new Priest and Overkill discs but I just ain't got the scratch right now so they're gonna have to wait. Stuff like that used to bug the hell out of me (I was always "that guy" running to the store on the release date so I could get the coveted First Day Copy!) but I've learned to let it go over the past few years.

By the time I get the next infusion into my PayPal account the new Accept should also be out and I can snag all three in one shot.

The first week things are released they are cheaper. At least at Best Buy, if your lucky enough to have a Best Buy that carries what you want. Last week I just went to get the new overkill and the deluxe was 11.99. I wasn't going to buy anything else but I saw fozzy for 9.99 and grabbed that too. I also put them on my Best Buy card so it wasn't like I spent the money that day lol. Also nice to build up points and occasionally get a $5 credit. My last credit went towards the Priest album.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2014 9:49 pm

Runicen wrote:
I have a weird relationship with collecting because I'm always casting around for that next "GOTCHA" moment in music.  I love finding a new band, latching on to their stuff and taking in EVERYTHING they ever committed to tape.  Unfortunately, that habit has a tendency to lead to huge stacks of albums and CDs I haven't even given an inaugural spin to.  

Ultimately, I want to get to the point where, instead of ordering 10 cds, I order 2 and actually spend some time with them.  You know, "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" and all that.  Elvis Costello actually did an interview with Joni Mitchell where he was talking about how his first experiences with her stuff were so rich because he could only afford to buy an album at a time and had to really SIT with the thing.  As he made more money, he just bought and bought and bought and lost that connection.  I think there's something to be said for willpower.

Speaking of, I just betrayed my total lack of that by violating the moratorium on buying new stuff courtesy of a big collection of used metal that came up at the store my friend works in.  This is the double-edged knife of having friends who work in awesome establishments.

The spirit was willing...  Actually, who am I kidding?  The spirit was totally ready to chuck that business given the first excuse.   Laughing 

I feel the same way. There was a time I was buying a bunch of albums at one time. The only good thing about that was, at the time I was in a band and every week when we would have practice I would bring those cds with me. I had about an hour drive so sometimes I could get an album in or two on the way there and back. I haven't been in a band for at least 3 years and I'm not driving anywhere that far alone anymore at the moment so that time I had listening to just one or two albums are gone. Especially now with my ipod. I basically have my whole collection on my ipod, except for live albums. I ran out of room and something had to go and it was the live stuff. The Ipod really killed my listening habits as well because now I have my whole collection right there and I can just shuffle everything or skip songs or whatever. A lot of times if I don't feel like listening to what comes up on my ipod I'll just keep hitting skip until I finally get to something lol. Some times I could just keep hitting skip the whole ride and not listen to a single thing lol.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2014 9:56 pm

exact33 wrote:
now almost done ripping though K.

How long have you been doing it for?

Last Monday, I went and bought a new 160gb Ipod because the one I had just totally erased everything off of it for no reason at all. I've been having problems with it to begin with but that was the last straw. After I left work I went and got a new one. I still haven't used my new one yet because I have to re-rip everything all over again. Thankfully I have everything as MP3's so all I have to do is just rip them in a smaller file size so I can get all my stuff on the ipod. I'm almost done with P but I still have a ways to go. I think S and T have the most bands so once I get done with those It'll be done pretty quick but I'm still probably looking at not til the end of this week. I've been doing this every day too since last Monday. Day and night. haven't shut my computer off once lol. Even after doing this I notice some albums are missing so I'm going to have to re burn them from cd. Hopefully there isn't too many missing tho.

i really kick myself in the butt tho because I already had this done and I just saved those smaller files, but I needed the space on my external hard drive so I had to erase them and it was only a few weeks ago hahaha. I really wish there was a faster way to do this.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 1:20 pm

I don't know that I could rip my collection alphabetically. I've been in the middle of a long-standing project to make sure I listen to everything I own at least twice before just moving it into "the collection" and allowing it to be something that pulls up on a shuffle.

Of course, I'm also on my SECOND working iPod classic. One is an older 120gb and the other is a new 160gb. In my defense, I'm ripping everything in lossless now, so they fill up a lot faster.  Rolling Eyes 

In some ways, my buying habits are formed by the fact that there really aren't any local music retailers to speak of, so I'm driving close to an hour or more to get to any place that has a decent selection - either my shop in Baltimore or one in Ephrata in-state (i.e. where my friend works and I get into untold trouble being on the "first call" list when cool stuff comes in  Smile ). That makes going to buy music more of an "event" than just popping down the street for a new release.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2017 1:18 am

I picked up over 250 cds during the last two years, and to be honest, i haven't listened to them properly.

So i need to focus on those.

I will be in europe again within the next few weeks, so i will buy some more items (as there is no metal around here!). Then it is a looooong break. Until the end of summer at least.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2017 11:49 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
When I take a break from buying music, it's usually due to lack of funds. Very Happy

same here, i havent bought a cd in about a year now
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Addy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
When I take a break from buying music, it's usually due to lack of funds. Very Happy

Wow! I couldn't even last a month without acquiring a new album.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2017 2:13 pm

nevermore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Me too!

Mine has been the opposite really. I work at a place that is highly seasonally variable and has about 4 times as many employees at the peak time of year (last 3 months of the year) as it does earlier on in the year and I'm basically a more senior manager for the last half of the year and earn quite a lot more money. The downside to this is I actually have to earn this money and this eats into my music discovery time angry

So now I'm back to being a happy lazy pauper Very Happy I'll have more time to catch up with music but I have to be honest, my music room is looking a bit full and it does look like a colossal waste of money. I try to tell myself that it's an investment and I'll sell it before retirement hits but deep down I know that this is highly unlikely.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks to my semi-weekly scrounging stops at Goodwill and other thrift shops, I acquired more CDs in 2016 than I did in the previous two years combined. I was actually kind of shocked when I counted them all up at the end of the year to post in the "Your 2016 Haul" thread, and saw the final number, I had no idea I'd bought so many! Haha.

We're ten days into 2017 and I haven't bought any CDs yet...but I'm actually fine with taking a break for a little while, cuz there are still a few 2016 pickups that I haven't given a full listen to. That's actually a nice "problem" to have, though. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2017 10:09 pm

I am definitely going to slow down this year.  Many CD's I have bought in the last year or so, that I have spun only once than get filed away.  I would like to enjoy my collection a bit more, and I am sure I will buy more in a couple of months.

Do have a couple of things in the mail and will eventually pick up the new Metallica, but aside from that, til at least March I will either minimally or nothing.

Last edited by manny on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2017 10:17 pm

I've been pretty much subsisting off my existing collection for a couple of years now.  Since I started working from home full-time, I seldom spend more than 10 minutes at a time in my car and that's where I used to do most of my CD listening when I had a 20 minute commute to and from work.

Most of the new music I buy now is by established artists that I love like Sulo/Diamond Dogs or Ginger/Wildhearts.  

I've spent a lot of time over the past couple of years putting together "Best Of" comps combing through the 3500 or so CDs I already have.  

I'm saving a TON of money compared to my old buying habits.  Smile

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 5:18 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Addy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Wow! I couldn't even last a month without acquiring a new album.

Priorities changed for me, when i was single that's what i spent my money on, that and DVD movies. Now I have a wife and a daughter I need to support. Cost of living is high, Believe me I have a list of albums id like to get. I havent had any kind of spending funds since before Thanksgiving or maybe Halloween would be closer to accurate
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 11:23 am

I'm trying to slow down but I keep finding bargains at the local thrift shop. For less than $2 bucks a pop, I can't leave them behind. greedy

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 7:27 am

On my initial trip to paris last November, i came back with 42 cds and a metal church dvd. I said to myself that i will definitely not buy a lot more on my upcoming trip (which was last week) promising myself i would only buy a couple of cds i had spotted on my first trip... of course i came back with 46 cds. Help me. I am sick...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Purchase Break
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next