Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Purchase Break

Go down 
+16
jstate
A Handful of Wayne
DallasBlack
nevermore
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
exact33
Lovecraft
chewie
manny
SAHB Healer
corplhicks
MetallicSeminarian
Fat Freddy
Runicen
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 3:13 pm

So, I got a lot of music around my birthday - some gifted and some I bought for myself. All told, I think I acquired some 50 or so new discs for the collection on TOP of the other stuff that I'd picked up but not had a chance to listen to.

In defiance of the voice screaming in the back of my head, I've resolved not to buy any new music until September or October, both to enjoy the stuff I've already got and to get caught up with what had been the ever-growing pile of new arrivals.

Anyone else on here taken a sabbatical just to catch up with their rate of collection?  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 3:17 pm

When I take a break from buying music, it's usually due to lack of funds. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 3:17 pm

I need to. I have a ton of music I haven't gotten around to yet. And still some more on a gift card to use. I'm actually going through my collection right now listening to all the stuff I haven't listened to all the way through yet.

And Freddy's point is applicable, as well.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 3:24 pm

What's been killing me (and I think I mentioned this in another post) is the sheer flood of big "Complete Recordings" box sets hitting the market. It may not be a big deal to pick up a ten disc set if you buy three CDs a month... Another entirely if you pick up three of those boxes and that's just your budget for that paycheck.

Gotta have priorities and all that.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Getting married has stopped me from spending as much on CDs. But then people give me gift cards Smile
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 3:26 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
When I take a break from buying music, it's usually due to lack of funds. Very Happy

What he said !
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 3:26 pm

Woebetide the woman who tried to marry me expecting the love of music to take a back seat.  Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 3:28 pm

Quote :
Getting married has stopped me from spending as much on CDs.

Same here. Frickin family, always needing unnecessary frills like food, clothing, and shelter...who the hell do they think they are, taking money away from my Metal fun??  angry

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 3:29 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Same here. Frickin family, always needing unnecessary frills like food, clothing, and shelter...who the hell do they think they are, taking money away from my Metal fun??  angry

Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 4:01 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

If they were  tr00, they would be sustained by the sonic assault of Slayer CDs.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 5:09 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

This has been me for the past few months. But at least I've been able to catch up with a lot of great albums I've thrown my money at in the past!  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 6:34 am

Just becoming semi-retired and having a fixed income now , I find myself in that boat. But having collected 40 years of old music I find that much of it I have forgotten since, and I have time to rediscover it now. I realize that there is a lot of new music that I am missing, but there will be a lot of great music made after I'm dead too. I do feel that the old music is some of the best music, and probably more to my tastes, so a better investment of my time than continued feverish consuming of the latest thing?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 6:39 am

I do that usually around the holidays, but I limit my spending to maybe $50 a month. That is more out of lack of money then any restraint on my part.

I own enough music and I have been rediscovering old discs, and enjoying my collection more instead of just adding music in my collection, for the sack of getting more live bootlegs etc.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 12:23 pm

manny wrote:
I do that usually around the holidays, but I limit my spending to maybe $50 a month. That is more out of lack of money then any restraint on my part.

I own enough music and I have been rediscovering old discs, and enjoying my collection more instead of just adding music in my collection, for the sack of getting more live bootlegs etc.

50 is my limit as well. If I had a good month with extra jobs (self-employed), I'd up it to 100. Never more than that.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 12:55 pm

corplhicks wrote:
manny wrote:

50 is my limit as well. If I had a good month with extra jobs (self-employed), I'd up it to 100. Never more than that.

Same here, Now that I'm working again I get to the record stores a little more often.
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

Number of posts : 120

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 4:05 pm

I'm taking a break until I get motivated to build a new set of shelves for my LP collection.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 4:10 pm

i wait until there is enough stuff out there for a haul.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 6:02 pm

I have drastically curtailed my music spending habits.  Several years ago it was not uncommon for me to spend between $200 - $400 per month on music.  For the past year or so it's been more like $35-$50 per month.  Part of it is the massive vet bills I've incurred because of Godiva's battle with cancer but I think it's more because I finally realized that I have almost 3500 CDs in my basement and I bet I can't name a single song off of half of them. 

Plus, I finally got over the "must have the physical copy" mentality and downloads are significantly cheaper than CDs most of the time.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 9:27 am

Part of me would love to be able to transition to downloads, but until lossless downloads come down in price to at least be the SAME as the physical CD, I'll keep buying the discs just so I can rip them in high quality myself.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 10:05 am

My music spending kinda comes and goes in waves, depending on how bored I am at work and whether I have money in my Paypal account. I don't have a set limit on what I spend. I just know what I can and can't afford. And I typically bargain shop all my cds. I try to keep a $10 cap on any one cd.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 10:07 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
My music spending kinda comes and goes in waves, depending on how bored I am at work and whether I have money in my Paypal account. I don't have a set limit on what I spend. I just know what I can and can't afford. And I typically bargain shop all my cds. I try to keep a $10 cap on any one cd.

That's my litmus test for box sets. If the total price of the set works out to more than $10 per disc, I tend to pass unless I can really justify the set as collectible or something like that.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 10:11 am

It's getting harder to keep it under $10 these days. I've mostly purchased up all those "filler" discs in bands discographies that I could get for pennies on ebay & Amazon. Finding bargains isn't as easy as it used to be.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 10:16 am

It depends on the rarity of the disc in question. There's a LOT to be said for simply throwing something on your Amazon wishlist and waiting for someone to really undercut all of the other sellers. Something hovering around $50 all of a sudden drops under $10. It's a beautiful thing.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 10:20 am

Runicen wrote:
It depends on the rarity of the disc in question.  There's a LOT to be said for simply throwing something on your Amazon wishlist and waiting for someone to really undercut all of the other sellers.  Something hovering around $50 all of a sudden drops under $10.  It's a beautiful thing.  Smile 

Oh yea. I'm a very, very patient man when it comes to waiting-out a price-drop.  Razz It's how I was finally able to get a copy of Shotgun Messiah's debut without giving up and arm or leg.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 5:34 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Me too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Purchase Break Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purchase Break   Purchase Break Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Purchase Break
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next