Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....

Go down 
+41
Dave the Boss
ZombieHavoc
Rami Airola
MoonChild
kropotkin
Louder
Lovecraft
MetalGuy71
iamrockerfun
Nomadic Drifter
mikeinfla
mlotek
bass63
manny
stormspell
SAHB Healer
brokentulsa
James B.
Boris2008
Lurideath
SideShowDisaSter
Short-Fuse
Glower
Lari
metalhead777
Runicen
Leatherface
choosemetal
assault_attack
thejokeriv
Troublezone
Gilbert
Witchfinder
Icy Grave
corplhicks
Temple of Blood
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
MetallicSeminarian
Big Rich
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 9:17 am

Ah, got one!

Mr. Bungle's self-titled album!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 10:01 am

Why do people keep saying "appetite for destruction" ?

It's a great album, but it isn't the first one they put out.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 3:09 pm

Tygers of Pan Tang - Wildcat.

And on the other side of the musical spectrum Asia and Night Ranger.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 3:30 pm

kiss
led zeppelin
ozzy
sabbath
GnR
iron maiden
poison
warrant
steve stevens atomic playboys
halford
body count
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 3:32 pm

James B. wrote:

The original Live Like a Suicide was an ep, limited to 10,000 vinyl copies, so noone counts that. Appetite was their first full album and label debut. After they hit big, Live Like a Suicide was repackaged with acoustic songs and called Lies.

Do you have some other album that we don't know about? Razz 

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 4:32 pm

Nomadic Drifter wrote:
Tygers of Pan Tang - Wildcat..

GOOD CALL. Why didn't I think of that?
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 5:09 pm

I'd go with Reverend's ep. Such a strong debut.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 6:05 pm

James B. wrote:

So what is their first album?
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

Number of posts : 120

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 6:15 pm

Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Llas-red

Live Like A Suicide EP

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 6:44 pm

Then what was their first EP?
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 6:58 pm

Lari wrote:
Then what was their first EP?

That's it. Their first EP was Live Like A Suicide.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 7:56 pm

So which is it? Album or EP?
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 8:04 pm

Lovecraft wrote:

Live Like A Suicide EP

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Big Rich wrote:

Lari wrote:
James B. wrote:

So what is their first album?
Lovecraft wrote:
Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Llas-red

Live Like A Suicide EP

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 8:43 pm

Since we're talking albums, Helloween for sure. It's the only one of theirs that I've ever really enjoyed.
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 8:44 pm

An album is a collection of songs; a maxi-single is technically an album, a 4 song EP is also an album. There are no rules that indicate how many songs it must contain.

The term EP and LP existed solely to designate that one is shorter than the other, but they are both still albums.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 9:14 pm

Lovecraft wrote:
An album is a collection of songs; a maxi-single is technically an album, a 4 song EP is also an album.  There are no rules that indicate how many songs it must contain.  

The term EP and LP existed solely to designate that one is shorter than the other, but they are both still albums.  

Agreed, but of course I'm implying full-length albums.
Back to top Go down
Louder
Metal student
Metal student
Louder

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 9:58 pm

Galactic Cowboys
Vinnie Moore
Aldo Nova
Scaterd Few
Yngwie Malmsteen
Tourniquet

Last edited by Louder on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kropotkin
Metal novice
Metal novice
kropotkin

Number of posts : 55

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 10:22 pm

Vicious Rumors
Dream Theater
King Crimson
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Q'ryche
Unruly Child
Psychotic Waltz
Pink Cream 69
Ferngully(Ger)
Memento Mori
Solitude Aeturnus
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 5:01 am

I'm probably going to be alone on this one, but.

Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Piper01-b
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 5:32 am

GnR - Appetite for Destruction.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 6:16 am

Lovecraft wrote:
An album is a collection of songs; a maxi-single is technically an album, a 4 song EP is also an album.  There are no rules that indicate how many songs it must contain.  
25 minutes.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 1:20 pm

Every EP I own is the same size as an album with the exception of Steve Vai "Flex-able left overs" and Hirax "Blasted in Bangkok" (both 10") and Hirax "El Diablo Negro" (which is a 7 inch). I might have a few more ?   I have albums with 12 songs that are shorter in elapsed time than EP's with 4 or 5.  So EP or album is the same to me.  I took the premise of first album being first release.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 1:38 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
James B. wrote:

The original Live Like a Suicide was an ep, limited to 10,000 vinyl copies, so noone counts that. Appetite was their first full album and label debut. After they hit big, Live Like a Suicide was repackaged with acoustic songs and called Lies.

Do you have some other album that we don't know about? Razz 

#'s pressed, length of time, or the label it came out on doesn't negate that it was G n R's first release.   Say it came out in 2006 instead of 1986 and never was put on vinyl ?  Would that change the dynamics of the debate any ?  So with everyone being so technical when the original post wasn't so precise is kinda funny.  So by using everybody's premise that album is an album, stuff not ever released on vinyl shouldn't count either. First release is first release.  I bought it (Live Like A Suicide) at Tower Records  and not from the trunk of a band members car in the parking lot behind Gazzari's (Done that too headbanger )

If people disagree, n big deal.  But we have to be consistant.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 1:46 pm

To the letter of the law, James is right. Apparently an EP is considered an album if it clocks in at 25 minutes (which it doesn't at 13 mins) or contains four songs (which it does). If it was released now it would be packaged as a Cd single.

I'm still keeping Appetite on my list because two original songs, two covers and 13 minutes of music doesn't reflect my idea of an album  Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 19976

Incidentally Motorhead's Golden Years EP had four songs, was a good minute + longer than the Guns EP and was pressed as a 7" so that's an album too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs....   Bands whose first album was your favorite of theirs.... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next