Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iron Maiden: Invaders

Go down 
+29
BearOnUnicycle
Short-Fuse
Glenn Rogers
Lovecraft
Wayne
Gilbert
manny
James B.
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
DakotaRogers
nevermore
Lurideath
jstate
MoonChild
Lari
Required Fields
Leatherface
exact33
DallasBlack
scottmitchell74
glassprison
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
ZombieHavoc
80s Metal Lady
Boris2008
corplhicks
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Iron Maiden: Invaders Empty
PostSubject: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 3:41 pm

So the band and many fans agree that Invaders should not have been the opener or should have been cut from the album. It's somewhat understandable; my first listen to NOTB had me confused as a kid with that first track (but my head blew into pieces after that). And yes, Total Eclipse should have been its replacement. But I tend to think it underrated, as it grew on me and has become one of my favorite Maiden tracks. In fact, it has been the #1 song for decades that I constantly hum, especially the intro. In other words, it's burned in my brain more than anything else, musically. Anyway, my question here is who hates it, who loves it, and who "meh's" it.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 3:54 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Number of the Beast. It's okay, like half of the record (admittedly the other half is great)
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 4:12 pm

I'm in the meh category.  It's a rather weak track, as was "Gangland," compared to the rest of the album (well, I'm not crazy about "The Prisoner," but that's another thread, LOL). It is catchy, though, so I can understand it sticking in your brain. I do like the bass during the verses. I guess it's the notes after Dickinson sings "Invaders!" that seem a little cheesy. It's a fast, energetic track, so I can see why it was chosen as the opener.

Just listened to "Total Eclipse." Very nice, but I think it's a bit slow in parts to be an opening track. It would have made an excellent replacement for "Gangland," though, IMO.

Last edited by 80s Metal Lady on Fri May 02, 2014 4:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 4:13 pm

I like it. I never knew it was an issue for anyone. Great opener, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 4:19 pm

Always liked the song and don't have any issues with it. I always though that track sounded like it was written for Killers. Invaders has never been played live - the band isn't a big fan of the track. It's a better song than Gangland - which the band had to choose between Gangland and Total Eclipse. One would be a B side and the other on the album. Gangland never was played live, but total eclipse was. Saw and interview with Adrian Smith and he basically said they made the wrong call on that one.

Invaders - cool song.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 4:39 pm

Never really thought about it much. (Shrugs) It's OK I guess. There are far better tracks on NOTB, of course.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 5:17 pm

It's not anywhere close to being one of my favorite Maiden songs, but there are certainly worse ones.

In short, I only listen to it when I'm listening to the full album; never on its own.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 6:27 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
 I always though that track sounded like it was written for Killers.

Good point, it does have that vibe.. In fact, I'd venture to add that Paul would actually sound pretty cool behind this track.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 6:32 pm

Invaders is by no means good enough to be on Killers!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 6:42 pm

I like Invaders. I never really had an issue with it. And strangely, I think I've only heard Total Eclipse 2 or 3 times so I don't feel as strongly about it being on the album.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 6:45 pm

I like it and don't have a problem with which album it's on or where on that album.

Basically for me Killers - NOTB - POM is one of the best 3 album stretches in metal history.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 6:47 pm

I have no problem with that song, then again I don't really hate anything Maiden has ever done. I freakin' like Holy Smoke for crying out loud!
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 7:27 pm

I enjoy it. I think it is pretty catchy.

Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 11:16 pm

It's okay.  Not my favorite by Maiden, but okay.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 11:46 pm

I like the song, and think it ranks around the middle in terms of strongest to weakest tracks. Children of the Damned and Hallowed Be Thy Name are the two best songs from it (and two of the best Iron Maiden songs of all time); Gangland is the weakest track, overall.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 1:03 am

Invaders is a nice, fast and enjoyable track. Works as an opener. What really is the problem is the chorus. The song is great all-around until it his the chorus, and then it divides people - some hate it because they expect something that's not there, I personally think it's not at all an important part of that particular song. Just like with Judas Priest's Breaking the Law. There's a chorus there, but the song is still all about the verses.

And Total Eclipse would suck as an album opener. Run to the Hills or Gangland would be better as the opener. Something to set the tone.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 3:14 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
I like it. I never knew it was an issue for anyone. Great opener, in my opinion.

Same opinion here as well.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 8:45 am

I guess since I've lived with it and loved it for so long I can't imagine a different song order or track list than what exists on NOTB. Years back I picked up a Maiden greatest hits package and it drove me crazy hearing songs not as they were placed on the albums. For me it is all about those albums in their entirety.

Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 12:12 pm

I just listened to "Gangland" again and its not as bad as I was remembering it to be. There are only a handful of Maiden songs that I can say I don't like at all (at least from the non-Blaze albums). Chief among them would be "The Assassin."
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 12:15 pm

I love that song and always have!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 1:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Never really thought about it much. (Shrugs) It's OK I guess. There are far better tracks on NOTB, of course.

I agree.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 3:48 pm

I thought Sadus did a decent job adapting the song to their American thrash style:

Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 5:52 pm

"Invaders" is catchy as f***. One of my favorites off that album.

glassprison wrote:
I thought Sadus did a decent job adapting the song to their American thrash style:

Yeah, we all enjoyed Sadus' WWE theme song compilation. Didn't know they covered "Invaders" though.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 7:30 pm

Great song. Not sure what the issue is. Definitely don't think it should have been cut from the album.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 10:21 pm

Amazing song. Great way to start the album. Short and punchy.

Love the vocal melody during the verses. This song is the greatest inspiration for John Arch's vocal style.

I'm shocked that there are MAIDEN fans who wouldn't like it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden: Invaders   Iron Maiden: Invaders Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iron Maiden: Invaders
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next