Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fight for the Rock?

Go down 
+16
MetalGuy71
Vexer6
ultmetal
MoonChild
TheGreatDuck
powermacho
Fat Freddy
Eyesore
nevermore
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
bass63
manny
James B.
Witchfinder
Runicen
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Fight for the Rock?
Great!
Fight for the Rock? Vote_lcap14%Fight for the Rock? Vote_rcap
 14% [ 3 ]
Meh, It's Ok.
Fight for the Rock? Vote_lcap62%Fight for the Rock? Vote_rcap
 62% [ 13 ]
Not as Bad as I First Thought.
Fight for the Rock? Vote_lcap10%Fight for the Rock? Vote_rcap
 10% [ 2 ]
KILL IT WITH THE FIST OF THE METAL CHILD!
Fight for the Rock? Vote_lcap14%Fight for the Rock? Vote_rcap
 14% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 21

AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Fight for the Rock? Empty
PostSubject: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 8:15 am

Ok, I'm a long-time lurker on here who finally decided to register and I'm going to make my first post the kind of thing that would probably earn a ban on less enlightened forums.

I've been on a huge Savatage/Jon Oliva kick since I was first introduced to their back catalog and I've gotta cop to the fact that I don't get the hate this album receives (other than in historical context).  Granted, it's not exactly Hall of the Mountain King, but "Hard for Love" off of Power of the Night was a lot poppier for its time to these ears.

Hmm..  Second poll idea: How long have you kept a straight face while listening to "Hard for Love?" lol!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 11:31 am

It's got some good tracks on it and some complete crap. I voted meh. It's definitely the Savatage album that I listen to least.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 11:48 am

Reading the liners of the Edel reissue, it sounds like most of the songs had been written to farm out to other bands. Part of me wonders what might have happened if this had actually been carried out as the plan.

I got to see Jon during his Storyteller tour in Pittsburgh and he played "Out on the Streets" with piano as the dominant instrument. It sounded flippin' great!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 12:47 pm

The two covers are good.

I still listen to this from time to time

To me, the songs are well written but for the most part not Savatage songs.  The written for other artists makes sense now that you hear it.  Never knew that.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Its not anymore horrible then say 'Turbo' or 'The Pack Is Back'. It just sounded like a band trying to hard to be something they weren't, mainly a pop metal band.

I have not heard the album in years, may even like it more then I did as a teenager, but its not the ear cancer alot of diehard Savatage fans made it out to be.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 2:32 pm

Jon also said that he and Criss wrote a bunch of songs in the UK while recording, so I don't know what portion of the songs had already been written with that in mind... Grain of salt and all that.

It's kind of a shame, actually. I like what Jon does on his own, but it'd be cool to hear his stuff at work with bands outside of a Sava/TSO type sound. Imagine him writing for a female fronted hard rock band like The Pretty Reckless or for a folkie or something. Might not work, but it'd be interesting to hear.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 3:38 pm

Runicen wrote:
Jon also said that he and Criss wrote a bunch of songs in the UK while recording, so I don't know what portion of the songs had already been written with that in mind...  Grain of salt and all that.  

It's kind of a shame, actually.  I like what Jon does on his own, but it'd be cool to hear his stuff at work with bands outside of a Sava/TSO type sound.  Imagine him writing for a female fronted hard rock band like The Pretty Reckless or for a folkie or something.  Might not work, but it'd be interesting to hear.

You listen to their albums as their career moved along, they were not interested in being lumped in with either thrash or pop metal, they are almost a prog metal bands.

Genre labels certainly did not mean much to them, because their is lot more going on to their music then just standard heavy metal tunes.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 4:33 pm

Okay album, not great just okay
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 4:39 pm

manny wrote:

You listen to their albums as their career moved along, they were not interested in being lumped in with either thrash or pop metal, they are almost a prog metal bands.

Genre labels certainly did not mean much to them, because their is lot more going on to their music then just standard heavy metal tunes.

What really burns is that Jon periodically mentions in interviews how Criss wanted to do a 100% instrumental solo album. THAT would have been a joy to behold.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 4:59 pm

Not as bad as I first thought but Manny was right, it sounds like they're trying to be something they're not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 5:38 pm

The very definition of "phoned-in". Uninspired, lazy, boring album.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 7:54 pm

I voted KILL IT WITH THE FIST OF THE METAL CHILD. I've not heard it, but that sounded the most fun option  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 10:08 pm

I voted "Meh, It's Ok". Overall it's decent. Nothing outstanding about it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 10:59 pm

This one, in my opinion, gets shit one because of when it came out. Coming on the heals of Sirens, Dungeons, and Power of the Night, how could it not have angered fans? Had it come out three years later, though, I don't think we'd be having this conversation.

I'll admit, "Day After Day" is godawful. I don't care if it's a cover people love. It's one of those songs that makes me want to shove a sharpened pencil in each ear. "Out On the Streets" and "Crying for Love" aren't great, but they're good. Beyond that, though, it's hard for me to find a bad song. Even the other cover, "Wishing Well," is solid. Most of the other songs, in my opinion, are excellent, classic kind of Sava tunes.

In fact, for the most part, aside from the softer guitar tone, I don't really hear a big difference here. I know Jon says he dislikes the album because the label pressured him into going a more "pop rock" route, but I think he failed in doing so. How can he and Savatage fans not love "The Edge of Midnight," "Hyde," "Lady in Disguise," "Red Light Paradise," "Fight for the Rock," and "She's Only Rock 'N' Roll?" These are kick-ass songs! And they hold up very strongly against some of the band's best work.

I think Jon's life and experiences surrounding the creation of that album has soured him on it, much like how Jon Schaffer feels about Burnt Offerings. It's a fantastic album yet Schaffer dislikes it. I think Fight for the Rock is a damn good one, too.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 11:12 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I voted KILL IT WITH THE FIST OF THE METAL CHILD. I've not heard it, but that sounded the most fun option  Very Happy 

I had a sneaking suspicion I should have made the "worst" option less cool sounding...

Oh, and massive thumbs up for Eyesore's thoughts on it.

I imagine Jon's dislike for the album has a little to do with the fact that, by his account, while the band was in the UK living off of peanut butter sandwiches, their management apparently bilked them out of something in the neighborhood of $1 mil. I probably wouldn't be feeling too chipper when reminded of those times either. angry 
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 11:40 am

I like "Hyde," "Red Light Paradise" and yes, even the hated cover of Badfinger's "Day After Day" (which, when you think about it, foreshadows much of the piano-centric material that would come later)... the rest is, ehhh. I don't hate it but I don't reach for this album very often either.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 12:57 pm

What Eyesore said is why I voted not as bad as first thought though there are parts that don't seem like Sava'.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 5:00 pm

im a savatage fan that has almost all of the savatage related discographies and even going to fly to progpower this year just to see jop. . their weakest album in my opinion even tough i still enjoy it. "fight for the rock, out on the streets, crying for love, day after day, hyde" are good songs the rest arent memorable
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 5:16 pm

Some of the tracks from this album still sound like something that wouldn't be out of place on Sirens, Power, Dungeons or Hall.
I mean, try finding something this heavy on Turbo or Hysteria:

But then, even Saxon had the awesome epic power metal song Battle Cry on the otherwise mostly boring Rock the Nation's album...
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 4:51 am

nevermore wrote:
I voted "Meh, It's Ok". Overall it's decent. Nothing outstanding about it.

I voted the same.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 8:59 am

TGD, I think the album deserves credit just for including Hyde - a great song with one of those inhuman "how the hell did he sing that" vocals.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 10:17 am

It has it's moments but it is one of the weakest Savatage records IMO.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 11:41 pm

I think it's one of their best, I prefer it to everything that came after Edge Of Thorns.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 1:54 am

Vexer6 wrote:
I think it's one of their best, I prefer it to everything that came after Edge Of Thorns.

You cwazy.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 2:45 am

Eyesore wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

You cwazy.  Laughing 
I just personally felt like the band lost something after Criss Olivia died. I think perhaps it would've been best if they'd called it quits at that point, Criss was an integral part of the group, and without him it sounded like a completely different band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fight for the Rock?   Fight for the Rock? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fight for the Rock?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next