Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

$layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?

Go down 
+22
jstate
sovdat
Gilbert
Witchfinder
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
Eyesore
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
MoonChild
metalinmyveins
James B.
ZombieHavoc
Thrasher73
Troublezone
mc666
mlotek
Lurideath
Boris2008
ElectricEye93
BearOnUnicycle
Temple of Blood
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

$layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 1:41 pm

I have fond memories of seeing Slayer in the clubs and that is good enough for me.  They are not the Lone Ranger when it comes to being stuck in a rut, lost musically, or becoming a slight semblance of what they once were.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 1:43 pm

S.D. wrote:
Sounds like Slayer's management might have been running off with most of their money.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/slayer-paid-lombardo-just800-per-show/

The band only made $400,000 out of the $4.4 million they earned in 2011.

I've read that King has all kinds of side deals with the management company so he does just fine.

It's not that I don't think Lombardo has been cheated, it's just that I don't care about the business dealings of a band (which are often ludicrously complex) and I think that Slayer is done.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 1:59 pm

S.D. wrote:
Sounds like Slayer's management might have been running off with most of their money.

I probably was not going to be interested in anything going forward after Dave's firing and Jeff's death, but this seals the deal. Due to these revelations, I will never support this group again. Kerry clearly is looking like the bad guy in this situation, and it looks like Tom just turned a blind eye to all of it, and sold out his former band mate. Had Tom just stood up for Dave, Kerry would have probably acquiesced. Hell, Slayer without Jeff and Dave is not really Slayer to me, but without Tom, how would Kerry fill that void? It just wouldn't happen.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 2:30 pm

Corporate loot, they are everywhere! Phew!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 3:41 pm

Eventually Tom will leave, Kerry will hire someone new/cheap and boom, "Kerry King's Slayer" will be coming to a theater near you.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 4:10 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eventually Tom will leave, Kerry will hire someone new/cheap and boom, "Kerry King's Slayer" will be coming to a theater near you.

lol! 

And that would be scary to even listen to the band!!!!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 4:23 pm

I'm with Shawn; I could care less about these clowns since losing Jeff.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 9:00 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Nah. Tom quits and he forms a new band with Anselmo that is unlistenable.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 9:08 pm

S.D. wrote:

More reasons Dave was right that they all needed to hash it out.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Dave Lombardo is a multi-multi-millionaire. It does seem like he was getting screwed by Slayer recently and his digging got him fired, but he's rich.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Nah.  Tom quits and he forms a new band with Anselmo that is unlistenable.

Any album with Anselmo is unlistenable as far as I'm concerned.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 10:36 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Dave Lombardo is a multi-multi-millionaire. It does seem like he was getting screwed by Slayer recently and his digging got him fired, but he's rich.

You know this how? He quit Slayer in 1991.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 7:58 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Laughing very hard 

At this point, it's pretty much Kerry King's Slayer featuring Tom Araya..... I did see the last tour and had a great time at the show
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 8:41 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

You know this how?  He quit Slayer in 1991.  

Yeah, saying he's a "multi-multi-millionaire" seems a bit overstated and assumed.

NONE of our favorite musicians have as much money as we think they do.

But, rich or not, if the blurb about the band only getting $400k to split (and then pay taxes on) out of $4.4 million is true at all, that's still extremely unfair.

I bet King has a stake in management, which is probably why it's set up that way.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 11:41 am

Exactly Shawn!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 1:16 pm

Those numbers seem weird to me.  The band gets only 10%?  Baffling. Seems like shenanigans have occured.  I would definitely ask for a full accounting and recompense.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
ElectricEye93
Metal novice
Metal novice
ElectricEye93

Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 2:05 pm

Let's put it this way, the guy ain't starving.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 2:26 pm

You're not starving either...are you rich?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 2:34 pm

ElectricEye93 wrote:
Let's put it this way, the guy ain't starving.

What does starving have to do with anything? Slayer is an international band, so much of their touring is out of the country. Dave Lombardo is very much a family man, and because of Slayer's touring schedule, he's away from his family for a good portion of the time. If he indeed makes what they stated he made in 2011, he can't even afford to bring his family on the road with him.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 2:47 pm

Well said Mr. veins.

Who said he was starving anyway? That's beside the point.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 3:02 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Well said Mr. veins.

Who said he was starving anyway?  That's beside the point.

Nah, dude above said "well, he ain't starving" and I said "neither are you, are you rich?"

lol! 

$67,000 after taxes is more than I make in a year, but it's far from "rich". I'm sure he still gets some kind of residual from his early days in Slayer, but Slayer isn't exactly a multi-platinum selling act. If he's not touring or doing clinics, he's probably not generating income.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 3:07 pm

Not our business. I miss his drumming with slayer.

I hope slayer will make a good album soon. They nees some real boost.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 3:52 pm

I don't think there is anyway their next album will be good. Can't recall any good songs that were written entirely by Kerry. I think Tom knows this and that is why he is so hesitant about the recording future of the band.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 7:35 am

S.D. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Slayer's music has been declining with every album since Divine Intervention. The only thing Slayer had going for it was when they were still playing live with Dave and Jeff. Both are gone now! I know I'll check out the next album (out of curiosity), but I'm not expecting much. It's just gonna be another Kerry King album... And to me, his songwriting isn't as dynamic as Jeff's.

I would rank World Painted Blood, Christ Illusion and Diabolus In Musica (Jeff wrote all but 1 song) higher than Divine Intervention, that's my least favorite Slayer album and it really just sounded like they were on autopilot.  

I don't agree. I prefer DI over those... And SITA was their best IMO.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 8:24 am

Dave never wrote any music for Slayer (never got credited for any), I'm not sure if he's entitled to any money made from the album sales at all ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

$layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next