Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

$layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?

Go down 
+22
jstate
sovdat
Gilbert
Witchfinder
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
Eyesore
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
MoonChild
metalinmyveins
James B.
ZombieHavoc
Thrasher73
Troublezone
mc666
mlotek
Lurideath
Boris2008
ElectricEye93
BearOnUnicycle
Temple of Blood
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

$layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Empty
PostSubject: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 5:22 pm

Do you think Lombardo was greedy or that the other guys were at fault? I think it's pretty clear that Lombardo was being paid peanuts and as soon as he started asking about it they kicked him out. They don't appreciate how badly they needed him, especially now that Hanneman is gone.

On a side note, what is your favorite $layer album? I am enjoying "World Painted Green" right now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 5:29 pm

I honestly don't give a shit, Slayer died with Hanneman as far as I'm concerned.

Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 5:36 pm

From what I've read, it seems King kicked him out because he can do whatever he wants to. Couldn't care less as I detest all things Slayer.
Back to top Go down
ElectricEye93
Metal novice
Metal novice
ElectricEye93

Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 5:40 pm

Who cares? A bunch of rich rock stars fighting over money.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 6:25 pm

ElectricEye93 wrote:
Who cares? A bunch of rich rock stars fighting over money.

$layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? 25679 
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 6:33 pm

You think Lombardo is rich?
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 6:35 pm

I think you are right Temple. I think he wasn't getting what he deserved and asked about it and they flipped.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 6:56 pm

Lombardo got screwed.
Kind of glad I sold off/traded my Slayer albums and t-shirts in the 1980s and now downloaded all of it for free, but I am going to buy the Jeff Hanneman bootleg since Slayer won't get that money I hope.
They have enough fans to support them and their greedy ways.
http://shop-hellsheadbangers.com/slayer-seeds-of-horor-the-jeff-hanneman-demos-1985.asp
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 7:17 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
You think Lombardo is rich?

It's not so much that I think he's rich (he might be, I have no idea) It's more that I really don't care. The Lombardo/King love/hate thing has been going on since 1987 and I'm bored.

I might have had a bit more interest in Slayer with him, but to be honest, I doubt it. I don't think that any of them still really have their hearts in it and it has just come down to cold hard cash.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 7:24 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I don't think that any of them still really have their hearts in it and it has just come down to cold hard cash.

I think there are a lot of other bands you could dump into that same category.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 7:48 pm

S.D. wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
I don't think that any of them still really have their hearts in it and it has just come down to cold hard cash.

I think there are a lot of other bands you could dump into that same category.

And I do!!  lol! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 8:27 pm

Yeah, I'm sure *cough*Metallica*cough* isn't one of them.  Razz 
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 8:56 pm

When Lombardo came back, he was pretty much just a hired hand getting a paycheck as Gary & Paul are now. I think he was hurt because he thought he was an equal partner. Perhaps if he had stayed with them from the beginning rather than going back & forth.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 8:59 pm

I'm not sure he should be an equal partner, but paid the same as Gary? Come on! He's the best musician in the whole band and the best drummer in all of thrash.

He claims to have only made $67K in 2011. That hardly sounds rich to me.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 9:10 pm

Slayer's music has been declining with every album since Divine Intervention. The only thing Slayer had going for it was when they were still playing live with Dave and Jeff. Both are gone now! I know I'll check out the next album (out of curiosity), but I'm not expecting much. It's just gonna be another Kerry King album... And to me, his songwriting isn't as dynamic as Jeff's.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 9:45 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Slayer's music has been declining with every album since Divine Intervention. The only thing Slayer had going for it was when they were still playing live with Dave and Jeff. Both are gone now! I know I'll check out the next album (out of curiosity), but I'm not expecting much. It's just gonna be another Kerry King album... And to me, his songwriting isn't as dynamic as Jeff's.

I would rank World Painted Blood, Christ Illusion and Diabolus In Musica (Jeff wrote all but 1 song) higher than Divine Intervention, that's my least favorite Slayer album and it really just sounded like they were on autopilot.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 1:36 am

Lombardo was what made me a Slayer fan.Without him I could care less.As far as the whole drama goes,I dont doubt he was getting screwed.

Favorite album has always been South of Heaven
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 4:51 am

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 11:27 am

S.D. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I would rank World Painted Blood, Christ Illusion and Diabolus In Musica (Jeff wrote all but 1 song) higher than Divine Intervention, that's my least favorite Slayer album and it really just sounded like they were on autopilot.  

I like all three of those albums, especially DiM, but Divine Intervention, to my ears, rips. It's probably my favorite album after Seasons and South of Heaven.

As for the band issues...I know nothing about it, so no opinion. Dave Lombardo seems like a cooler dude than Kerry King, but, you know, I don't know either of them personally so.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Painkiller wrote:
Slayer shouldn't have abandoned the style of Hell Awaits. When they left Metal Blade Records, it was all downhill from there.

Reign in Blood is overrated and unmemorable (save for the first and last tracks). Darkness Descends, Obsessed by Cruelty, and Pleasure to Kill are way better.

I'm really not sure what style they abandoned after Hell Awaits? Sure I think that Hell Awaits was a better album than Reign in Blood, but I do think that people love to run RIB down because it was such a hugely popular record. As much as I love Sodom, Obsessed by Cruelty, better than Reign in Blood? Please!!! Shocked 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 12:21 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 1:18 pm

Painkiller wrote:
Reign in Blood is overrated and unmemorable (save for the first and last tracks). Darkness Descends, Obsessed by Cruelty, and Pleasure to Kill are way better.

Totally agree that "Reign in Blood" is WAYYYYYY overrated and that "Darkness Descends" is far better!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 1:24 pm

Reign In Blood isn't overrated.  They also didn't really change stylistically very much between Hell Awaits and RIB, they just got a little more proficient as a group and had a much better recording budget to play with.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 1:35 pm

Sounds like Slayer's management might have been running off with most of their money.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/slayer-paid-lombardo-just800-per-show/

The band only made $400,000 out of the $4.4 million they earned in 2011.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 1:39 pm

S.D. wrote:
Reign In Blood isn't overrated.  They also didn't really change stylistically very much between Hell Awaits and RIB, they just got a little more proficient as a group and had a much better recording budget to play with.

The only difference to my ears is that Hell Awaits had more variation in terms of tempo, songs like the brilliant At Dawn they Sleep whereas RIB was an exercise in sheer speed.

I've got to say that I saw a lot of the major thrash bands in '86/'87 and NOTHING was as intense as a Slayer show.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: $layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?   $layer controversy with Lombardo ...  Your take? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

$layer controversy with Lombardo ... Your take?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next