Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Lesson in Power/Thrash

Go down 
+23
Gilbert
rajah
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
jstate
jettafiend
James B.
Thrasher73
SideShowDisaSter
sovdat
allthingsmetal
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
Orion Crystal Ice
80s Metal Lady
BearOnUnicycle
Boris2008
mc666
corplhicks
Temple of Blood
MetallicSeminarian
Lari
DakotaRogers
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Hard to believe nobody mentioned:

New Eden - Obscure Master Plan
New Eden - Through the Make Believe

Destiny's End - Breathe Deep the Dark
Destiny's End - Transition

Nevermore could also fall into this category.

Also: Oracle - Selah
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 9:36 pm

Power/Thrash ?
confusing term for me, UNLESS it means bands that are on the borderline ,
like,
EXCITER first 3 LP's, , the first 2 HEXX Lp's, first 2 METAL CHURCH Lp's, Piledriver/The Exalted Piledriver,  HALLOW'S EVE, PURGATORY-Tied To The Trax LP.

I agree with the above posts mentioning -
Laaz Rockit , Savage Grace, Reverend, Heretic, Meliah Rage, Overkill - "Feel the Fire". Nasty Savage

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 10:25 pm

The original definition of Power Metal was exactly what you guys are describing, bands that were heavier/faster than straight-ahead metal but not quite thrash. I was fine with that term…but then all the European Helloween clones somehow adopted that term so now we have to change the term yet again to describe bands we already had a description for.

It's dumb.

For the record, Armored Saint is HEAVY METAL…not power, not thrash, etc. Just plain HEAVY METAL.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 10:29 pm

Those bands are called "flower metal". Smile
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4603

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 10:32 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Those bands are called "flower metal".  Smile

lol! 

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 10:36 pm

S.D. wrote:
The original definition of Power Metal was exactly what you guys are describing, bands that were heavier/faster than straight-ahead metal but not quite thrash.  I was fine with that term…but then all the European Helloween clones somehow adopted that term so now we have to change the term yet again to describe bands we already had a description for.  

It's dumb.  

For the record, Armored Saint is HEAVY METAL…not power, not thrash, etc.  Just plain HEAVY METAL.  

See that's what I've been thinking this whole time. Isn't classic USPM the same thing as borderline thrash? If so we already have a thread from a couple months ago where we brought up all these same names. There's even a master list in there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 11:04 pm

corplhicks wrote:

See that's what I've been thinking this whole time. Isn't classic USPM the same thing as borderline thrash? If so we already have a thread from a couple months ago where we brought up all these same names. There's even a master list in there.

Yes. Exactly.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 11:06 pm

S.D. wrote:
The original definition of Power Metal was exactly what you guys are describing, bands that were heavier/faster than straight-ahead metal but not quite thrash.  I was fine with that term…but then all the European Helloween clones somehow adopted that term so now we have to change the term yet again to describe bands we already had a description for.  

It's dumb.  

For the record, Armored Saint is HEAVY METAL…not power, not thrash, etc.  Just plain HEAVY METAL.

Yep, just as Judas Priest. I hate when people call them speed metal just because of Painkiller.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 11:13 pm

corplhicks wrote:
See that's what I've been thinking this whole time. Isn't classic USPM the same thing as borderline thrash?

No. Unless you're talking about someone like METAL CHURCH.

VICIOUS RUMORS is USPM but has 0 thrash in their sound.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 1:01 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
See that's what I've been thinking this whole time. Isn't classic USPM the same thing as borderline thrash?

No.  Unless you're talking about someone like METAL CHURCH.

VICIOUS RUMORS is USPM but has 0 thrash in their sound.

See, I disagree there. I feel that VR, especially early material like Digital Dictator, had a distinctive thrash feel with overt usage of the diminished fifth--at higher speeds. Yet like Metal Church, a good number of the songs, especially from their s/t on, are midtempo. Even in their s/t, which is arguably more commercial:

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 8:37 am

Thrash isn't just about speed, it's about chromatic dissonance. METAL CHURCH had a lot more of that, even on their debut.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Lesson in Power/Thrash
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4