Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Lesson in Power/Thrash

Go down 
+23
Gilbert
rajah
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
jstate
jettafiend
James B.
Thrasher73
SideShowDisaSter
sovdat
allthingsmetal
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
Orion Crystal Ice
80s Metal Lady
BearOnUnicycle
Boris2008
mc666
corplhicks
Temple of Blood
MetallicSeminarian
Lari
DakotaRogers
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Empty
PostSubject: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 4:57 pm

Hey guys, looking to expand the number of power/thrash albums in my collection. And to be honest, I have little to none. Anyways, here's what I got:

Flotsam and Jetsam- Doomsday for the Deceiver
Realm- Endless War/Suiciety (I consider them tech-thrash, but whatever)
Tourniquet- Stop the Bleeding
Helstar- Nosferatu
Agent Steel- Unstoppable Force
Visitör- Visitör
And Artillery, loosely (Maybe their later albums)

Temple of Blood mentioned "No Exit" by Fates Warning, thought that was interesting, so that's one for my list. Iced Earth is essential, but I have no idea which one to go with. And finally, "Into the Mirror Black" by Sanctuary. I'm not sure if it's really power/thrash, but for years now, I've seen it on multiple top thrash album lists, so...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DakotaRogers on Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 5:14 pm

What's power/thrash?

Something like:
Helloween - Walls of Jericho?
Rage - Perfect Man?
Anthrax - Spreading the Disease?

For Iced Earth, well, Night of the Stormrider is a good one...
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 5:24 pm

Lari wrote:
What's power/thrash?

Something like:
Helloween - Walls of Jericho?
Rage - Perfect Man?
Anthrax - Spreading the Disease?

For Iced Earth, well, Night of the Stormrider is a good one...

Yeah, for IE I'd go either NOTS or Burnt Offerings.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 5:37 pm

Lari wrote:
What's power/thrash?

Thrash metal can be pretty much bred with any other genre of metal, like death/thrash, for example. Just a blend of power metal and thrash. This one in particular can sometimes be hard to differentiate between from speed metal. Something like Powermad or Paradox, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 7:24 pm

Try both TEMPLE OF BLOOD albums and look out for our new one!

Also,
BRAINICIDE - demo
INTRUDER - Psycho Savant
TARGET - both albums
ICED EARTH - Night of the Stormrider
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Try both TEMPLE OF BLOOD albums and look out for our new one!

Will do!

Was reading a review for that Target album: "Target above all still manage to overcome the biggest fault of tech thrash (and technical metal in general) by actually being catchy. That’s right, despite being complex as a computer and throwing weird riff after weird riff your way, this album’s still catchier than a cold, without even a single weak song."

Exactly what I'm looking for, but of course it would have to be out of print and $200.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 7:50 pm

^^I take it you're talking about Master Project Genesis. Ebay is a better deal. That album has always gone for an outrageous price on Amazon (used of course). I've seen it on ebay for 40 bucks, free shipping. Whether or not it was a bootleg, however, is anyone's guess.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 8:12 pm

You really need to hear Meliah Rage - Kill to Survive. One of the best power/thrash albums ever imo. Also look into anything by Morgana Lefay, especially Sanctified or Maleficium.

Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 8:14 pm

On the subject of Target, I had a look on eBay here in the U.K and there is a re-release CD set of the first two albums + 1986 demo available for about £20 inc postage. It's a Stormspell release so maybe he's your guy for this (although it's probably long sold out)
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 8:27 pm

TARGET was reissued years ago by Stormspell.  I didn't realize it was so rare these days.  Yeah, there are some catchy songs on there and definitely some well-written riffs.  The second one has a more trained vocalist but both albums are great really.

I think the first 3 METAL CHURCH albums fit this thread and are quality releases.

I assume you've heard both TOXIK albums?

You might enjoy all 3 of the early AGENT STEEL albums a lot although to be super-picky a lot of that is "speed metal", not "thrash.  (Not that those types of things matter to me at all).
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 8:35 pm

Overkill - Feel the Fire

Probably their only album that falls into this catagory

Iron Angel?
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 5:34 am

First two Angel Dust albums.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 7:26 am

This is a very strong new release

Stylistically, this EP is all over the place but some of it fits this category (I'm not sure though, Power Metal always confuses me!)
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 9:04 am

Nuclear Assault--Game Over/The Plague, Third World Genocide.
Exodus--Pleasures of the Flesh, Impact Is Imminent.

mc666 wrote:
You really need to hear Meliah Rage - Kill to Survive. One of the best power/thrash albums ever imo.

I got that on cassette way back in the day (still have it). It was "Pick of Month" or something like that for the Columbia House Record & Tape club. I can still see the ad. I was so intrigued by the album cover, I ordered it just by the recommendation without hearing a song (the way we sometimes bought music back in the day). I didn't regret the purchase. It's power metal, but I never thought of it as thrash.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 9:31 am

Gotta second Realm (I prefer the debut), Tourniquet (same thing, for this style), and the Rage one I would pick would actually be two: 'Black in Mind' for that absolutely lethal guitar tone, and then 'Execution Guaranteed' which is *that* kind of 80's power-thrash where "they don't make 'em like that anymore!".
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 10:36 am

Metal Church
Meliah Rage
Heretic
Reverend
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 11:08 am

I think most bands that get labeled American Power Metal fit.
Liege Lord
Vicious Rumors
Armored Saint
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 3:26 pm

Along with the above mentioned bands/cds I would add Forte to this list.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 4:46 pm

HEATHEN - Breaking the Silence
POWERLORD - The Awakening
MANILLA ROAD - Mystification

@ Target: yup, original CD (Aaarg) is worth $200+ but it's been bootleged and the bootleg looks ALMOST like the original ... Can't miss with Stormspell reissue, another killer release by them.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 5:37 pm

I'll add a few when I get home. At work right now, and can't think of anything off the top of me head....

Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 8:07 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I assume you've heard both TOXIK albums?

Sure have  headbanger 

80s Metal Lady wrote:
Nuclear Assault--Game Over/The Plague, Third World Genocide.
Exodus--Pleasures of the Flesh, Impact Is Imminent.

A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Cosby-confused-face

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 8:11 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:

mc666 wrote:
You really need to hear Meliah Rage - Kill to Survive. One of the best power/thrash albums ever imo.  

I got that on cassette way back in the day (still have it). It was "Pick of Month" or something like that for the Columbia House Record & Tape club. I can still see the ad. I was so intrigued by the album cover, I ordered it just by the recommendation without hearing a song (the way we sometimes bought music back in the day). I didn't regret the purchase. It's power metal, but I never thought of it as thrash.

I did those Columbia House & BMG things back in the day as well . Blind purchases were easy with 12 cassettes for a penny.

There was a definite thrash element to Meliah Rage. Always has been.

Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 12:16 am

I think Helstar would fall into this category.Most of their albums are really good.Also would add;

Reverend-Play God
Heretic
Heathen-Evolution of Chaos
HavocHate- Cycle of Pain
Core Device-Our Fellowship Eternal
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:57 am

Savage Grace

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 4:17 am

Going by what has been posted, I will add:

Sacred Reich
Laaz Rockit

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Lesson in Power/Thrash
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: