Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Lesson in Power/Thrash

Go down 
+23
Gilbert
rajah
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
jstate
jettafiend
James B.
Thrasher73
SideShowDisaSter
sovdat
allthingsmetal
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
Orion Crystal Ice
80s Metal Lady
BearOnUnicycle
Boris2008
mc666
corplhicks
Temple of Blood
MetallicSeminarian
Lari
DakotaRogers
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 8:51 am

Too long with no mention of Testament - Practice What You Preach.

Can't go wrong with any of the above recommendations though.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 9:21 am

If it hasn't been mentioned, I'll throw in the first couple Savatage albums. I severely dislike their rock opera/proggy whatever stuff they are more known for, but I love the first couple records.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 10:24 am

The latest band I've got a boner for is Enforcer from Sweden. All 3 of their albums are gold. Traditional 80's metal sound, bordering on thrash with great vocals.

http://www.amazon.com/Enforcer/e/B003LTWCUI/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1391441030&sr=1-1

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 10:55 am

Maybe something like Risk - The Daily Horror News and Headhunter will work too.
Back to top Go down
rajah
Metal student
Metal student
rajah

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 10:58 am

I'm not real good with categories, not sure what power/thrash is. But I would recommend, Overkill, Testament, Exodus, Metal Church, Megadeth, Metallica, Death Angel, Flotsam and Jetsam, Helloween and Iced Earth.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 12:01 pm

Power-thrash along with Speed Metal and US Power Metal are very difficult to define. I think power-thrash is the most amorphous of the three. To me, it always meant very heavy traditional metal bands that flirted with thrash on some songs. Metal Church being the quintessential example. Most of the bands mentioned in this thread really don't fit that description, but then again, that's only my opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 12:16 pm

He's asking for stuff that sounds like a cross between USPM and thrash, not one or the other.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 12:17 pm

Isn't Power/Thrash the cycle between rinse and spin on any standard washing machine?
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:43 pm

A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 647664 
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Have you heard POWERMAD - Absolute Power?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 3:05 pm

S.D. wrote:
Isn't Power/Thrash the cycle between rinse and spin on any standard washing machine?  

Dude, I wish. That would be one badass washer.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 12:34 am

DakotaRogers wrote:

80s Metal Lady wrote:
Nuclear Assault--Game Over/The Plague, Third World Genocide.
Exodus--Pleasures of the Flesh, Impact Is Imminent.

[image]

You don't like the choices or you don't think they fit the power/thrash category?
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 2:38 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
You don't like the choices or you don't think they fit the power/thrash category?

Definitely the first time I've heard Exodus referred to as such. I could understand Nuclear Assault, but they're more along the lines of crossover to me.  surprised

Temple of Blood wrote:
Have you heard POWERMAD - Absolute Power?

Just a few songs. Surprised I haven't picked it up yet, considering how similar they sound to Think This-era Toxik.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 9:45 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:
80s Metal Lady wrote:

Definitely the first time I've heard Exodus referred to as such. I could understand Nuclear Assault, but they're more along the lines of crossover to me.  surprised

I've always thought of Exodus as thrash. I guess I'm unclear when thrash becomes power/thrash. I guess I was thinking it as thrash (fast, harsh, loud) and power (accessible, catchy at times, clean vocals, no growling/screaming, etc.).
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 10:05 pm

I'm confused myself. Are we talking USPM? Or are we talking thrash music with power metal tendencies (which would include Overkill like Boris said)? So far I'm seeing a lot of USPM names and only a few thrash names.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 10:35 pm

I looked up Meliah Rage on Wikipedia, and it gives them the genre "power/thrash." I never thought of them as thrash. I was wrong. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a link for "power/thrash," just "power" and "thrash" separately. Would have liked to see a page with a definition and list of bands.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 10:49 pm

corplhicks wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Dude, I wish. That would be one badass washer.

....All of my invention inspiration is impractical, useless, expensive, and usually all three. Sad
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 4:44 am

corplhicks wrote:
I'm confused myself. Are we talking USPM? Or are we talking thrash music with power metal tendencies (which would include Overkill like Boris said)? So far I'm seeing a lot of USPM names and only a few thrash names.

USPM crossed with thrash.

Early OVERKILL has some power metal tendencies at times but latter ... not really.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 12:05 pm

The reason there is confusion is because IT'S A BULLSHIT TERM, just like 80% of all sub genres.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 12:27 pm

I don't really have a problem with breaking stuff down into sub genres, because it usually makes it a little easier to quickly compare and what not in a suggestion discussion. Obviously, as the case in this thread, when the exact parameters of the sub genre are unclear--well it defeats the 'easy' thing.

But without sub genres, someone might be like, hey, you should check out As I Lay Dying, they are metal. Then I would be like, oh cool, I like Iron Maiden and they are metal too. Then I would listen to As I Lay Dying and be like damn, man, this sucks and is not like Iron Maiden at all.

I feel like the very definition of power/thrash is Sanctuary if that helps anyone at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 12:35 pm

That's why I do this crazy thing called listening...it's amazing how much more accurate that is than some anonymous dude on the internet saying "YOU MUST HEAR THIS BLACKENED CATFISH POLKA THRASH DEATH PROG CORE GRIND FUSION album!"

For the record, I don't have a problem with ALL sub genres, I just don't think we need 100 of them.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 12:44 pm

S.D. wrote:
That's why I do this crazy thing called listening...it's amazing how much more accurate that is than some anonymous dude on the internet saying "YOU MUST HEAR THIS BLACKENED CATFISH POLKA THRASH DEATH PROG CORE GRIND FUSION album!"

For the record, I don't have a problem with ALL sub genres, I just don't think we need 100 of them.

In a perfect world, I would have unlimited time and financial resources to purchase and listen to any music that was recommended to me.  Since none of us have unlimited time/money, categorization can help narrow down the selection process.  Obviously, all of these descriptions are lacking and imperfect in some way - I am, after all, trying to describe music with mere words.

Yes, some of these sub-genres are getting totally out of hand.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 12:57 pm

I like some Blackened catfish polka thrash death prog core grind fusion, but people are always recommending Blackened monkfish polka death thrash prog core grind fusion instead!!  angry 

Seriously though, I think that all of this breaking down each band into a micro genre does more harm than good. I would much rather have someone say this is cool and spend 90 seconds on the internet seeing if I agree rather than missing out on a great record because i might have preconceived and false notions of what that genre is all about (I have been guilty of that with black metal in the past)

It's only music.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 1:16 pm

I prefer bands being compared to bands i.e. "they sound a like Nightwish meets Flogging Molly with a hint of Megadeth."
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 1:18 pm

..............weelllllllllp if you guys can think of a better way to quickly rec somebody some bands which are in the same family as others they like....be my guest...

I would argue that people do the subgenre stuff more these days because listeners have become wusses and aren't allowed to listen to something that has X or Y element... so they too need the tags to know what to blindly avoid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Lesson in Power/Thrash    A Lesson in Power/Thrash  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Lesson in Power/Thrash
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next