Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM

Go down 
+23
mc666
akeldama
iamrockerfun
glassprison
Boris2008
ultmetal
jettafiend
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
metalinmyveins
ZombieHavoc
manny
Witchfinder
thejokeriv
Shawn Of Fire
MetallicSeminarian
journeyman
stepcousin
MoonChild
Troublezone
corplhicks
brokentulsa
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 8:00 am

I never really got Fair Warning back in the day. It was always my least fave of the Roth era for some reason. The only 2 songs I enjoyed off it were Unchained and Mean Street. However over the years the other songs just started clicking for me and I now think it 's one of their better records
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 8:33 am

My top 3:

Van Halen II

Bottom 3:

Van Halen III
Diver Down
A Different Kind of Truth

Still, I would take Van Halen's worst album over plenty of bands' best albums.

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 9:13 am

10 years ago, if someone asked me if I liked Roth-era or Hagar-era better, it would've been Roth without question. I've grown quite fond of the Hagar records in recent years, and would now probably say I like that stuff better.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 9:47 am

I do like Diver Down - while not as good as what came before, still a fun album. I remember reading interviews with Eddie that he felt Diver Down was an FU to Ed from the label for Fair Warning (which didn't sell as well as the previous 3 and the record label blamed it on Eddie being Eddie) Easily the "weakest" of the DLR albums, but still enjoyable in my book.

Hager era - OU812 is the weakest, with F.U.C.K. being the strongest. Balance is pretty darn good too. And for the record I do like 5150.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 9:57 am

I think the Hagar era is every bit as strong as the Roth era. They're different bands really but both are incredible, I think.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 10:20 am

007 wrote:
I think the Hagar era is every bit as strong as the Roth era. They're different bands really but both are incredible, I think.

Yes!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 10:24 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
007 wrote:

Yes!

Agreed. I got into them with the Best of vol. 1, so I was introduced to both eras side by side.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 10:44 am

everythin after 1st release.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 6:07 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Everybody wants to shit on 'III' when, in fact, it's a strong musical record. It never had a chance since A- the whole world saw DLR come out w/ VH on MTV and made everyone want that and B- much of it didn't sound like then-recent VH. It's a deep record musically and lyrically, filled w/ some of Eddie's and Alex's best playing ever. A couple of the songs were a little weird ("Once" and "How Many Say I") but IMO that speaks to the diversity within Eddie's musical arsenal. Should Eddie have attempted to sing? Probably not. Were a couple of the songs a little long? Yeah. But 'III' is far from a throw away record.

I agree. Sure, 'How Many Say I' blows goats but I like the rest of the album except the "I Dream Of Genie" theme getting ripped of in 'Ballot Or The Bullet'.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 6:09 pm

This is taken from Mitch Malloy's brief stint in the band. The song later became 'That's Why I Love You' which was recorded for III and left off most releases other than the Japanese release of III.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 9:53 pm

^^Ahhh yes. The Pepsi song.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 10:00 pm

corplhicks wrote:

I don't get it...
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 11:05 pm

akeldama wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I don't get it...

I've always thought this would make for the ideal Pepsi commercial theme over Right Now, especially with Mitch's voice.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 11:10 pm

They are all pretty bad after 1984, which wasn't terrific itself.

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 11:33 pm

mc666 wrote:
They are all pretty bad after 1984, which wasn't terrific itself.

Exactly how I feel.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 6:54 am

akeldama wrote:
This is taken from Mitch Malloy's brief stint in the band. The song later became 'That's Why I Love You' which was recorded for III and left off most releases other than the Japanese release of III.

I like this. Can only wonder how it would have turned out if Mitch did an album with them.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 10:37 am

journeyman wrote:
akeldama wrote:

I like this. Can only wonder how it would have turned out if Mitch did an album with them.

VH appearing on MTV w/ DLR eliminated ANY chance of them succeeding with any other singer at that point...if they were not planning on bringing him back, they never should have done that.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 10:43 am

Who's Mitch Malloy again? And when was he in the band?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 10:44 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Exactly! Aliens must have abducted me when he was in the band.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 10:47 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Yeah, I used to be a massive VH fan over a decade ago and read everything I could about them. Never remember hearing about this guy.  surprised
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 10:58 am

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Yeah, I used to be a massive VH fan over a decade ago and read everything I could about them. Never remember hearing about this guy.  surprised

Mitch was tried out and "hired" prior to VH appearing w/ DLR on the MTV awards when Best Of Vol1 came out. If you believe the story, he went out, stayed a few days, and they made him official...he was "in" the band. Then the MTV thing happened. Mitch knew he stood no chance, so after he went back to Nashville, he wrote them a letter and withdrew from the position.

What's funny is, Gary Cherone tells the same story about him being "in" the band when he saw them w/ DLR on MTV...so there's TWO guys who both think they're "IN" the band when that happened...someone somewhere isn't quite "remembering" things correctly.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 11:07 am

I've never heard of him, but he's apparently got a few solo albums out. Wikipedia sums up his brief stint in VH thusly...

Quote :
In the summer of 1996, Mitch Malloy, on the recommendation of Desmond Child, auditioned for Van Halen by recording a few tracks at 5150 Studios with the band. On day three of his audition, Malloy recounted that Eddie said, "well, you are an amazing singer, you look great and you are one of the nicest guys I have ever met, we just talked it over and congratulations, you are in the band." However Van Halen manager Ray Danniels was unable to sign Malloy to a management contract (Malloy already had a manager), and Danniels encouraged the band to pass over Malloy in favor of a singer he already had under contract, Gary Cherone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Malloy

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 11:11 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I've never heard of him, but he's apparently got a few solo albums out. Wikipedia sums up his brief stint in VH thusly...

Quote :
In the summer of 1996, Mitch Malloy, on the recommendation of Desmond Child, auditioned for Van Halen by recording a few tracks at 5150 Studios with the band. On day three of his audition, Malloy recounted that Eddie said, "well, you are an amazing singer, you look great and you are one of the nicest guys I have ever met, we just talked it over and congratulations, you are in the band." However Van Halen manager Ray Danniels was unable to sign Malloy to a management contract (Malloy already had a manager), and Danniels encouraged the band to pass over Malloy in favor of a singer he already had under contract, Gary Cherone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Malloy

Which adds another wrinkle...Malloy says HE turned THEM down. Add that to the timeline where both he AND Cherone got the same speech "great singer, nicest guy ever, blah blah blah" and BOTH say they were IN the band at the same time, and the whole thing is just weird.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 11:56 am

I've heard that story before and it's odd. He couldn't get signed to VH because he already had a manager? Fire his butt and sign up. Mitch has made a living talking about being the ghost VH singer though.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 12:01 pm

I know that if EDDIE FREAKIN' VAN HALEN wanted ME in HIS band, I'd fire whomever I had to in order to make it happen....critics be damned! LOL!

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next