Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition

Go down 
+23
Getizzyback
Vexer6
ultmetal
brokentulsa
HellRaiser
A Handful of Wayne
metalinmyveins
martinsane
chewie
Troublezone
manny
ZombieHavoc
Citanul
MoonChild
MetallicSeminarian
Eyesore
corplhicks
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 9:19 am

manny wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
File this one under "least essential reissue"

LOL!!! My brother keeps trying to convince me that it's a good album "once you get used to it..." I still don't like it

I am friends with your brother on FB and I agree with him Leo, underrated Def Leppard platter, just ignore the title track!

He's been trying to convince me it's a great album since it was released..... I have given it a chance over the years and it doesn't click with me..... never could get into this one!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 11:22 am

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
After the Hysteria album and Steve Clark's death, I lost interest. Maybe if they allowed Viv Campbell to play more and contribute to the music, it would make a difference.

Well, since you lost interest you are apparently unaware that Campbell has contributed plenty.

Really? I heard him complain not that long ago about Phil getting to play all the good stuff, and I'm sure also has the final say about what makes it on the albums. With Vivian's renewed interest in his old Dio guitar style, I would welcome some of that energy and flair into DL's sound.

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 11:30 am

Phil gets the most solos live because they mostly play pre-Viv material. But Viv has contributed to every album he's been a part of.

Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 11:31 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
File this one under "least essential reissue"

LOL!!! My brother keeps trying to convince me that it's a good album "once you get used to it..." I still don't like it

lol! 

Famous lasts words, "you'll really like it once you get used to it..."
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 9:06 pm

The biggest problem with this album from day one were the two back to back singles that the band released. When I saw the video for "Slang" shortly after its release, I nearly threw up. I had decided that there was no way this album would have any redeeming value. Then I saw the video for "Work It Out" a few months later, and was sure I had made the right decision in staying away from this monstrosity. It wasn't until a few years ago on this very site where a few people championed this album, stating how it really wasn't that bad, so I finally decided to give it a fair shake.

First off, it's not Def Leppard's worst album, as that award goes out to "X", which is a steaming pile. In fact, "Slang" might even be better than "Songs From the Sparkle Lounge"? "Pearl of Euphoria" is the one amazing song on this album, and is unmatched, though I do also enjoy the tracks "Turn To Dust", "Deliver Me", "Truth?" & "Gift of Flesh". The other five songs on this album I don't really care for at all, especially the aforementioned singles, which I believe are terrible representations of an average album.

Will I go out and get the Deluxe Edition? Hell no, but this album doesn't suck as much people think. I still can't believe "High 'N Dry" hasn't gotten a deluxe edition. That's an absolute travesty!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 12:38 am

Exactly. High N Dry is much more deserving.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 12:49 am

Dark Horseman wrote:

Not much of a fan here, but this makes complete sense. Are there deluxe editions of Pyromania and Adrenalize as well?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 1:23 am

corplhicks wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

Not much of a fan here, but this makes complete sense. Are there deluxe editions of Pyromania and Adrenalize as well?

Yes. And Hysteria.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 2:01 am

Eyesore wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

Yes. And Hysteria.

Oh yeah, Hysteria.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 2:38 pm

'X' is an album chock full of world class songwriting. It's actually DL's most "AOR" album...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 2:52 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
'X' is an album chock full of world class songwriting. It's actually DL's most "AOR" album...

But aside from a few songs, it doesn't sound right. It's like band almost being able to pull off Def Leppard. There's something missing.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 2:54 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

But aside from a few songs, it doesn't sound right. It's like band almost being able to pull off Def Leppard. There's something missing.

It's the ultimate sh!t sandwich. You have "Now" and the phenomenal "Scar", with a huge turd in between.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 2:55 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Not for me. All it may be lacking from my perspective is maybe beefier guitars...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 4:25 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Not for me. All it may be lacking from my perspective is maybe beefier guitars...

For me, most songs sound like they were meant for top 40 pop stars and guitars were added as an afterthought. Obviously all the outside songwriters played a role in that, but something about the album doesn't sit right with me either way. And trust me, they're my favorite band; I'd love to love that album. =(
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 6:07 pm

I wish they would do a deluxe of "on through the night" and "high n dry" already, but I can see they want to save the best for last  Smile 

Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 1:42 am

I'll get this 'cause I'm a Def Leppard nut, and there's quite a bit here I don't have, but among all the bonus stuff, there's a couple of b-sides missing from this era:  'When Saturday Comes' and 'Jimmy's Theme' -- they were also used in a British soccer movie, I think.
Always liked 'When Saturday Comes...'

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 2:04 am

HellRaiser wrote:
I'll get this 'cause I'm a Def Leppard nut, and there's quite a bit here I don't have, but among all the bonus stuff, there's a couple of b-sides missing from this era: 'When Saturday Comes' and 'Jimmy's Theme' -- they were also used in a British soccer movie, I think.

Yup. Good tunes. "Led Boots" and "Cause We Ended As Lovers" would probably have been better choices than rough mixes of other songs. Then again, I haven't heard the rough mixes and both songs are really not Def Leppard songs at all; they're Jeff Beck covers that Viv and Phil contributed to the Jeffology tribute album.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 3:05 am

So it looks like most of these songs aren't completely "unreleased." Most that appear to be unheard songs are just early versions of other songs. Unheard in these particular versions, but not entirely new to fans. "Raise Your Love" is an early version of "Slang," for instance.

Amazon has samples up, so you can go there and check it all out.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 2:33 am

I wish on through the night would get a deluxe release...maybe add the ep and early demo tracks plus some early live material...high n dry also deserves a deluxe release
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 5:41 am

Out today.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 11:34 am

brokentulsa wrote:
I wish on through the night would get a deluxe release...maybe add the ep and early demo tracks plus some early live material...high n dry also deserves a deluxe release

Yes, This!!!!!

and add First Strike. It would be nice to have an official bootleg version.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 2:17 pm

Gave it a fresh spin. It's not a great album, but I still think it's better than the overly produced crap like "Adrenalize" and "Hysteria". At least it sounds like a rock band, even if it is a modern rock band.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 10:06 pm

Eyesore wrote:
HellRaiser wrote:
I'll get this 'cause I'm a Def Leppard nut, and there's quite a bit here I don't have, but among all the bonus stuff, there's a couple of b-sides missing from this era:  'When Saturday Comes' and 'Jimmy's Theme' -- they were also used in a British soccer movie, I think.

Yup. Good tunes. "Led Boots" and "Cause We Ended As Lovers" would probably have been better choices than rough mixes of other songs. Then again, I haven't heard the rough mixes and both songs are really not Def Leppard songs at all; they're Jeff Beck covers that Viv and Phil contributed to the Jeffology tribute album.

These four songs are included as bonus tracks on the iTunes version, along with a few others.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 4:59 am

Didn't like Slang much the first time I listened to it, but now I can appreciate it a bit more. I've also softened my stance on X, and I do sort of like it now. I initially thought it was a poor attempt at imitating pop-punk groups like Simple Plan and Matchbox 20, but now I can appreciate what they were trying to do there.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 2:09 am

http://www.wlup.com/defslang

Cool little interview with Joe, Phil and Viv, where they discuss a bunch of stuff about Slang.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition   Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard's SLANG Deluxe Edition
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next