Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The better Zep covers?

Go down 
+14
jstate
mikeinfla
assault_attack
mc666
Eyesore
chewie
Orion Crystal Ice
journeyman
deathisgain
corplhicks
Boris2008
Lari
Dark Horseman
18 posters

Bonham or Great White?
Great White
The better Zep covers? Vote_lcap73%The better Zep covers? Vote_rcap
 73% [ 11 ]
Jason Bonham Band
The better Zep covers? Vote_lcap13%The better Zep covers? Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Don't care. It it ain't original it aint't poop.
The better Zep covers? Vote_lcap13%The better Zep covers? Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

The better Zep covers? Empty
PostSubject: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 4:29 pm

Who do you choose?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 5:12 pm

I can't say I'm familiar with either.

But, I have this great heavy metal Led Zep tribute album called The Music Remains the Same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Music_Remains_the_Same:_A_Tribute_to_Led_Zeppelin

Good shit.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 5:47 pm

Probably my favorite Led Zep tribute

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Great White. They brought a great deal of energy to the covers, and that lead guitarist, whatshisname, smokes. Stage was one of my favorite live albums of the 90's for this reason.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 6:41 pm

Can't really say. I've heard maybe one cover by Great White and have never heard any by Bonham. Put me down for Don't care although I won't go as far to say if it's not the original, it's crap.
Back to top Go down
deathisgain
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
deathisgain

Number of posts : 285

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 7:44 pm

Always loved this version of "Communication Breakdown" by Wolfmother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYJak-R2iYI
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathisgain.com
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:31 pm

Between the two choices. Great White. They weren't a Zep cover band, but they did Zep tunes well. An album I picked up a while back called Get the Led out - A Led Zeppelin Salute was really cool. Liked, Moby Dick by Randy Coven and Leslie West. Jimmy Page actually played on the album.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 10:37 pm

I thought W.A.S.P. did a very good version of 'When The Levee Breaks'....Grave Digger had the stones to do 'No Quarter' and actually pulled it off pretty well except that, well, you know, Chris doesn't sound like Robert Plant...
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:26 pm

Kashmir by Kevin Gilbert is pretty different and rockin'.

Kevin Gilbert(Giraffe, Toy Matinee, Tuesday Night Music Club): vocals, bass, acoustic guitar
Russ Parrish(Fight, Danger Kitty, Steel Panther): electric guitar
Nick D'Virgilio(Spocks Beard): drums
Dave Kerzner(Sonik Elementz, Steven Wilson, Sound of Contact): keyboards

Last edited by chewie on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:22 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added video and band info)
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:43 pm

First off, pretty much every band Jason Bonham has been in has been a damn good band. That guy hasn't gotten a fair shake when it comes to his bands.

That said, I'm not sure I've heard a band do Zeppelin better than Great White. In his prime, Jack Russell slayed those tunes.

No contest. Hell, even now Jack's doing Zep pretty well. This is from December.

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 12:51 am

Crowbar did a great version of No Quarter.

assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 1:08 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Probably my favorite Led Zep tribute

I hear it too! But I like it  Smile  Kick ass song....
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 1:40 am

No Quarter is my favorite Zeppelin tune. I dunno something about it, I have always loved that tune. Great White did a good job on it too.

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 1:48 am

Can't forget Kingdom Come either... I know Get It On is the song people seem to remember but this song was just as good and just as Zep sounding.

Recently bought this on iTunes. Forgot all about it and wanted to hear it one day so I bought the single.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 2:00 am

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 4:36 am

I thought this thread was about Great White and Bonham? It's turned into a one-upper thread, where everyone just ignores discussion to post a video no one else has posted.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 7:04 am

I have to go with Great White on this one.  But I'm a big John Bonham fan too.

Quote :
That guy hasn't gotten a fair shake when it comes to his bands.

I remember when Disregard For Timekeeping came out and all my friends hated it.  I mean seriously hated it.  It's greatest offense I think was it was marketed as party metal and it wasn't that at all.  Just to be a rebel I decided if no one else would dig that record than I would.  Came to legitimately love it.  Still do.  As well as all the other stuff Bonham has done.  I feel sorry for him that Zeppelin hasn't gone all in on a reunion because he kills on that Celebration Day show.  I've always dug the way he plays like he has something to prove.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 7:48 am

Eyesore wrote:
First off, pretty much every band Jason Bonham has been in has been a damn good band. That guy hasn't gotten a fair shake when it comes to his bands.

Maybe it was different in the states but in the U.K, I don't think that's true at all. Jason Bonham has always been treated like royalty by the U.K rock press and Airrace got an absolute ton of publicity. Virginia Wolf got a major recording contract and a plumb support gig with the mid 80's vehicle of Robert Plant and Paul Rodgers, he's hardly been ignored! Fact is, no matter how good they may or may not have been, people just didn't dig it enough for a lot of people to buy the records. It certainly wasn't for lack of support.

Don't get me wrong, he's a talented guy, I very much doubt that he would have gotten the gigs with Foreigner, Black Country Communion or UFO if he wasn't. But I'm sure that there are a ton of really talented drummers who would kill for the opportunities in the music biz that Jason has had.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 10:40 am

I'm not huge on either, or Led Zeppelin for that matter.

I think the only LZ cover from either band I've heard is Great White's "Baby I'm Gonna Leave You", which I think was from an Unplugged type of set? They used to play it as a video on MTV somewhat regularly. I didn't like it, and I don't know if I even knew at the time that it was a cover.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 11:12 am

I think Eyesore nails it. I find I listen to the Great White covers more then the originals but i also really enjoy Bonham's stuff.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 4:27 pm

Great White by far. Their version of 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You' is just phenominal.

I've never heard the Bonham albums in their entirety, just a few songs here & there. His In The Name of The Father album was alright, but it usually made me want to listen to the real Led Zeppelin after spinning.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 11:57 pm

Great White

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 12:59 am

Great White.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 3:43 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Maybe it was different in the states but in the U.K, I don't think that's true at all. Jason Bonham has always been treated like royalty by the U.K rock press and Airrace got an absolute ton of publicity. Virginia Wolf got a major recording contract and a plumb support gig with the mid 80's vehicle of Robert Plant and Paul Rodgers, he's hardly been ignored! Fact is, no matter how good they may or may not have been, people just didn't dig it enough for a lot of people to buy the records. It certainly wasn't for lack of support.

Don't get me wrong, he's a talented guy, I very much doubt that he would have gotten the gigs with Foreigner, Black Country Communion or UFO if he wasn't. But I'm sure that there are a ton of really talented drummers who would kill for the opportunities in  the music biz that Jason has had.

Well, his name has surely afforded him opportunities others would have gotten themselves. But he does at least possess some talent.

And yeah, aside from the debut Bonham album, his projects were pretty much ignored over here. Until Black Country Communion, at least, because for some reason Joe Bonamassa became really popular over here in the last five years or so. Dude's used albums cost like $15! Haha.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 10:53 am

I wouldn't pay that much, it's good but not that good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The better Zep covers?   The better Zep covers? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The better Zep covers?
Page 1 of 1