Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Films of 2014: Summer

Go down 
+9
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
Boris2008
iamrockerfun
tohostudios
Witchfinder
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 4:25 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Yeah Captain America is looking pretty good so far. As for my initial wtf regarding the Russo's handling, critic James Berardenelli has this to say:

"The most obvious asset possessed by The Winter Soldier is that it isn't plagued by the rampant sameness that characterizes so many superhero movies. The decision to hand the reins to brothers Joe and Anthony Russo, whose resume consists primarily of TV work, is an indication that Marvel wanted to achieve a different aesthetic for The Winter Soldier. The Russos' deftness of touch is most evident in the quieter, character-oriented scenes. The action sequences, although capably handled, unfold without distinction."

As usual, the "critics" need something to criticize... The action scenes were well done and the fights were cool.... The film was excellent and worth seeing in the theater.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 4:45 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Yeah Captain America is looking pretty good so far. As for my initial wtf regarding the Russo's handling, critic James Berardenelli has this to say:

"The most obvious asset possessed by The Winter Soldier is that it isn't plagued by the rampant sameness that characterizes so many superhero movies. The decision to hand the reins to brothers Joe and Anthony Russo, whose resume consists primarily of TV work, is an indication that Marvel wanted to achieve a different aesthetic for The Winter Soldier. The Russos' deftness of touch is most evident in the quieter, character-oriented scenes. The action sequences, although capably handled, unfold without distinction."

As usual, the "critics" need something to criticize... The action scenes were well done and the fights were cool.... The film was excellent and worth seeing in the theater.

I think what he's saying is just that the Russo's strengths are evident in the quieter scenes moreso than the action scenes, which is fine with me. He did say the action scenes are capably handled, which is all I ever ask for in a comic book movie.

Based on his review of the movie and what you wrote earlier, this is the first film I'll be seeing in the theater since Gravity (I rarely go to the theater anymore unless it looks spectacular).
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 6:42 pm

Michael Sweet of Stryper has suddenly found himself caught up in the whoop de doo over "Noah" - he mentioned on his FB that he was going to take his wife to see it, which prompted a flood (pun not intended) of "MICHAEL HOW DARE YOU SUPPORT HOLLYWOOD'S WAR ON CHRISTIANITY! I'M NEVER LISTENING TO STRYPER AGAIN! SHAME ON YOU!" responses.

...to his credit Michael merely responded to them by saying "OK, have a nice life." Haha

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 8:34 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Michael Sweet of Stryper has suddenly found himself caught up in the whoop de doo over "Noah" - he mentioned on his FB that he was going to take his wife to  see it, which prompted a flood (pun not intended) of "MICHAEL HOW DARE YOU SUPPORT HOLLYWOOD'S WAR ON CHRISTIANITY! I'M NEVER LISTENING TO STRYPER AGAIN! SHAME ON YOU!" responses.

...to his credit Michael merely responded to them by saying "OK, have a nice life." Haha

Saw this too. His reaction was priceless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 11:03 pm

I have the next two days off from work and I plan on going to see both of the Scarlett Johansson films that opened this weekend.

Captain America

and the avant-garde sci-fi flick Under The Skin.  It looks like a total mindf*ck and I'm always up for one of those.  

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 12:57 am

Under the Skin looks great. Big fan of the director.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 1:12 am

corplhicks wrote:

Sexy Beast is awesome.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 2:17 am

S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Sexy Beast is awesome.

Hell yes it is! Kingsley shines in that one.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:21 am

corplhicks wrote:
S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Sexy Beast is awesome.

Hell yes it is! Kingsley shines in that one.

They all shine in that one. I like Scarlett and will check this out. But not at the cinema.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 4:16 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

But!

Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 10001354_915117601851027_1367442460910095712_n

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 3:44 pm

Regarding Under the Skin w/Scarlett Johanssen [sp], Berardenelli's review came out today, and it sounds like my type of movie:

"Let me begin by stating that I cannot recommend Under the Skin to audiences in search of a mainstream movie experience. This film, a cryptic adaptation of Michel Faber's novel, is all about mood and setting. It's as existential as a sci-fi/horror film can possibly be. It requires that the viewer slip into a meditative mood and remain there for more than 90 minutes. The film has the capacity to hypnotize but only for those willing to go where director Jonathan Glazer (Sexy Beast) wants to take them. It's slow moving and contemplative. The horror elements are slight. There are no "boo!" moments. The special effects are limited and rather primitive. Those who fall under Glazer's spell will applaud Under the Skin as visionary. Those who don't will find it dull, opaque, and largely a waste of time. It's easy for me to see both viewpoints although my personal perspective is closer to the former than the latter."
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 4:58 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Michael Sweet of Stryper has suddenly found himself caught up in the whoop de doo over "Noah" - he mentioned on his FB that he was going to take his wife to  see it, which prompted a flood (pun not intended) of "MICHAEL HOW DARE YOU SUPPORT HOLLYWOOD'S WAR ON CHRISTIANITY! I'M NEVER LISTENING TO STRYPER AGAIN! SHAME ON YOU!" responses.

My 14 year old niece said she saw the movie and said it was horrible and she's strictly atheist (I really don't think she's truly atheist, her boyfriend is and you know how teenage girls are about "cute" guys). If this movie was Godless I'm sure her reaction would be different.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 12:17 pm

Teaser for Sharknado 2: The Second One, premiering on SyFy at the end of July.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 12:22 pm

Looking forward to How To Train Your Dragon 2 (out tomorrow) and Guardians Of The Galaxy.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 10:14 am

Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Edge-of-tomorrow-emily-blunt-636-380
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 6:49 am

I know it isn't summer any more but I was just wondering if anyone else was looking forward to this?

I know I am. The hype around this is enormous but I think it looks seriously interesting. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 1:53 pm

I read about it in the LA Weekly, could be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Films of 2014: Summer
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5