Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction

Go down 
+17
A Handful of Wayne
Eyesore
Lari
Orion Crystal Ice
MetallicSeminarian
tohostudios
corplhicks
MetalRob331
chewie
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
thejokeriv
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
Svengo
manny
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 9:20 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
WTF? Are they kidding? Sounds like their song how? Go sue every fourth-rate sleaze band who also had/have the *guitar stab* *snare hit* trick in the chorus. Dorks.

This! And since when was anything that Def Leppard has ever done in any way original? I'm pretty sure if you took a microscope to their back catalogue, there are dozens of bands who could sue them, but they probably wouldn't have the financial muscle to do it.

I'm sorry, but when you hear a "new" song and want to sing the lyrics to one of the most popular songs of all time, it's a pretty blatant theft. One doesn't need to "take a microscope" to this song.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 12:44 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
I'm waiting for them to rip-off Cannibal Corpse's "Hammer Smashed Face."

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Eyesore wrote:
The last Leppard album was really good.

It was embarrassing to listen to. I thought X was better and that album wasn't even that good.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 8:23 pm

I can't decide which song is worse...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
The last Leppard album was really good.

It was embarrassing to listen to. I thought X was better and that album wasn't even that good.

It blows X away, man.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Similar, and a lame/lazy move by the song's wrtiers, but to my ears it isn't close enough to sue, but what do I know?  surprised 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Looks like it's not going to happen anyway. From http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5847711/def-leppard-denies-itll-take-legal-action-against-one-direction-for-similar:

"Despite a previous report, according to Billboard, Def Leppard will not be taking legal action against pop group One Direction for plagiarism.

While guitarist Phil Collen says One Direction’s Midnight Memories and Def Leppard’s Pour Some Sugar On Me are 'very similar in structure,' but otherwise, are not alike.

Adds guitarist Vivian Campbell, 'The chords are one-four-five. Those are the blues. You don’t get more basic than that. I think what’s more reminiscent of the Leppard thing is the production, the sound, the vocals, the reverb and the way it’s assembled. That is very flattering that all of a sudden these kids think it’s a cool sound. I think a lot of people of their generation aren’t going to connect their music to ours.'"
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 11:15 am

"I think a lot of people of their generation aren’t going to connect their music to ours.'"

If DL still played that kind of music, maybe they would, and then they could have a suit.  Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 1:25 am

tohostudios wrote:
chewie wrote:
I've heard this one as bumper music to a show that I listen to. It's not hard to hear WHO they ripped off here on the intro:

They could have a few lawsuits aimed at them if other artists wanted to sue them. But like MG says, it might just be changed enough to avoid one.

Yeah, of all the One Direction ripoffs I think that one is the most obvious.  They also have a song that's a pretty blatant ripoff of The Clash's Should I Stay Or Should I Go.

When asked about it Pete Townshend said he wouldn't sue because he stole it from someone else too.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 11:30 am

Just for gits & shiggles, I brought this topic up over the holidays to my 16-year old niece who is a huge One Direction fan. She knew of Def Leppard, but didn't know the song 'Pour Some Sugar on Me'.

Pfft. Kids.  Razz 

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2