Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction

Go down 
+17
A Handful of Wayne
Eyesore
Lari
Orion Crystal Ice
MetallicSeminarian
tohostudios
corplhicks
MetalRob331
chewie
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
thejokeriv
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
Svengo
manny
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Empty
PostSubject: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 8:59 am

There is some controversy brewing as Def Leppard are allegedly looking into legal action against Pop group One Direction due to one of their songs, Midnight Memories, sounding very similar Def Leppard’s, Pour Some Sugar On Me.

“Music lawyers will routinely scour hits like this one to see if there is any evidence that a band has either copied or cleverly mimicked a Def Leppard song,” a source tells The Mirror. “These cases can often take weeks to sort out because we are not talking about peanuts here – the 1D album is selling millions and if the title track goes out as a single it will generate even more money.”

I can't access youtube at work, even if I could I don't think I could stomach listening to One Direction, its bad enough my daughter watches all these Disney shows with wanna be singers. So I can't tell you if they sound that much alike or not

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 9:13 am

Sorry to do this everyone ! You be the judge !

Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 9:23 am

Heard it on the radio the other day and it's an obvious rip on that song. It didn't sound like there were any direct samples in there from that track but everything including the vocal and instrument effects are obviously meant to sound like it.
Probably there will just be a threat of a lawsuit and some settlement money thrown by the band, (or more likely by their "owner" Simon Cowell), at Def Leppard.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 10:37 am

Translation: Def Leppard Discovers Easy Retirement Plan Wink

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 11:50 am

FF, that's what I was thinking. Really? Lawyers scour?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 12:01 pm

Yep, that's a pretty obvious ripoff.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Translation: Def Leppard Discovers Easy Retirement Plan Wink

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 1:30 pm

Quote :
FF, that's what I was thinking.

As soon as they heard that One Direction song, Joe Elliot was like "Cha-CHING! You hear that boys? No more package tours with Arnel Pineda's Journey or one-fifth of the original Foreigner for us!!"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Similiar, but probably changed just enough to skirt a lawsuit. Simon Cowell is more business savvy than that.

And I have to admit, that's the first One Direction song I've ever heard and it was way more rockin' than expected. I was thinking more danceable-New Kids on the Block stuff. I didnt think there would be a guitar within 50 miles of that recording session. Smile 

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 1:43 pm

I've heard this one as bumper music to a show that I listen to. It's not hard to hear WHO they ripped off here on the intro:

They could have a few lawsuits aimed at them if other artists wanted to sue them. But like MG says, it might just be changed enough to avoid one.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 2:18 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Similiar, but probably changed just enough to skirt a lawsuit. Simon Cowell is more business savvy than that.

And I have to admit, that's the first One Direction song I've ever heard and it was way more rockin' than expected. I was thinking more danceable-New Kids on the Block stuff. I didnt think there would be a guitar within 50 miles of that recording session. Smile 

Im with you.. If I was forced to listen to this song, I wouldnt mind it... I mean that chorus was catchy!!!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Been hearing a lot of these lately:

Red Hot Chili Peppers rips off Tom Petty
Jonas Bros rips off Jason Mraz
Coldplay rips off Joe Satriani
Lady Antebellum rips off Alan Parsons Project

And like this, they're all extremely obvious, even though a note or two was changed here and there.

Then again, anyone here see Mr. Holland's Opus...?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 5:47 pm

chewie wrote:
I've heard this one as bumper music to a show that I listen to. It's not hard to hear WHO they ripped off here on the intro:

They could have a few lawsuits aimed at them if other artists wanted to sue them. But like MG says, it might just be changed enough to avoid one.

Yeah, of all the One Direction ripoffs I think that one is the most obvious. They also have a song that's a pretty blatant ripoff of The Clash's Should I Stay Or Should I Go.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 6:01 pm

I'm waiting for them to rip-off Cannibal Corpse's "Hammer Smashed Face."
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Laughing very hard 

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 6:08 pm

WTF? Are they kidding? Sounds like their song how? Go sue every fourth-rate sleaze band who also had/have the *guitar stab* *snare hit* trick in the chorus. Dorks.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 6:14 pm

How about that. I actually listened to a One Direction song (I clicked on the youtube link), and it didn't sound as terrible as I thought it would. They actually use real instruments? It's still like a vocal group though, or what?

It wasn't as good as Def Leppard (and they weren't that great to begin with), but it wasn't the hideous abomination I was expecting it to be.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 6:40 pm

Lari wrote:
How about that. I actually listened to a One Direction song (I clicked on the youtube link), and it didn't sound as terrible as I thought it would. They actually use real instruments? It's still like a vocal group though, or what?

It wasn't as good as Def Leppard (and they weren't that great to begin with), but it wasn't the hideous abomination I was expecting it to be.

As "boy bands" go, I find these guys less objectionable than Nsync, New Kids, Jonas Brothers or the like.  From what I've heard at least some of their songs have rock guitars in them.  If forced at gunpoint to choose to listen to One Direction or something like Black Eyed Peas, I actually think I'd pick One Direction.

I still think they're ripping off riffs from other, more popular and way better bands but as OCI pointed out, they're not alone in doing that.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Are people claiming that entire song sounds like "Pour Some Sugar On Me," or just the chorus? The chorus riffs actually sound like samples of the Leppard tune, but I don't hear much similarity other than the music in the chorus.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Are people claiming that entire song sounds like "Pour Some Sugar On Me," or just the chorus? The chorus riffs actually sound like samples of the Leppard tune, but I don't hear much similarity other than the music in the chorus.

Yeah, the verses don't really sound much at all like the Leps' tune. It's all in the chorus.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 7:41 pm

Mid (Pour) Night (Some) Mem (Sugar) or (on) ies (me) is rly the only rip off here.. After they say "midnight memories, I wanna sing "in the name of love"  Laughing very hard Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 7:42 pm

I see the similarity but does it sound like Pour Some Sugar On Me? I don't really think so. I think there are more songs out there that could really be a bigger rip off than this. Really tho, with all of the bazillion songs that are in the world, how could there possibly be an original song? Theres always going to be a song that sounds like another song especially when you come to pop music because its all about making a hit song and being on the radio. The more familiar sounding you make something the more likely it will catch on to people a lot faster.

I really think bands need to stop worrying about this crap. They should actually be happy that what they did in the past inspired people. If it was a complete and total copy and paste job then thats a different story but something like this is stupid. Lady Gaga got away with completely copying a Madonna song.

I couldn't even tell you who one direction was until reading this and I'm not for them in any way but Def Leppard better just go back to making better songs than worry about this.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Quote :
I couldn't even tell you who one direction was until reading this and I'm not for them in any way but Def Leppard better just go back to making better songs than worry about this.
Amen to that!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 7:50 pm

The last Leppard album was really good.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 2:37 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
WTF? Are they kidding? Sounds like their song how? Go sue every fourth-rate sleaze band who also had/have the *guitar stab* *snare hit* trick in the chorus. Dorks.

This! And since when was anything that Def Leppard has ever done in any way original? I'm pretty sure if you took a microscope to their back catalogue, there are dozens of bands who could sue them, but they probably wouldn't have the financial muscle to do it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction   Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard thinking of suing One Direction
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next