Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince

Go down 
+13
metalinmyveins
Fat Freddy
Addy
jstate
shamgar75
thejokeriv
exact33
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalRob331
Boris2008
corplhicks
cruedevil71
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 8:09 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Miley and Sinead are a couple of Froot Loops who deserve each other, IMO...
Laughing very hard 

I don't buy for a minute that anything Sinead did back in the day was anything more than attention grabbing. Artistic statement? BS - ripping up the Pope's picture was just to grab attention, not to "make an artistic statement."
plus doing all this stuff 'in support of Miley' is an attention grab.

metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 8:24 pm

Though I found the letter to Miley to be profound, "Pot meet Kettle"...

Sinead O'Connor's raunchy profile wiped from dating website
May 23, 2013, 5:57 AM EST
Irish singer Sinead O'Connor was dealt a blow in her quest to find love online when she was banned from a dating website for posting sexually explicit messages. The Nothing Compares 2 U hitmaker, who has been married four times, signed up to an Internet dating service to find a new match, but her personal profile was deleted within minutes as it was deemed too racy by site bosses. She tells Ireland's The Sun, "I wrote a profile so sexual it was removed by the people running the site. And trust me, in the past I've written some humdinger profiles but never had one removed. I am very proud. It didn't get removed for about 45 minutes and in that time there were literally over 160 replies. I wrote a very (sexual) account of exactly what the f**k would be happening on my ideal first date." O'Connor was eventually given permission to reactivate her account after she agreed to "clean it up", but the star admits she is still struggling to find a suitable man. She adds, "There's a huge market for any enterprising men out there. Especially of 40 and over. This f**king country is an embarrassment when it comes to catering for the desires of ladies who don't want to be girlfriends or wives. Who nevertheless require regular and above all safe seeing to (sex)."
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 8:47 pm

Tearing up a picture of the pope is a method of dismissing the pluralized sensationalism that arrives at the catholic church's image. Remember where Sinead comes from. Add to that she had problems with her label trying to control her image and going against the grain seemed more than appropriate in her eyes.

From an artistic standpoint it makes sense. Ozzy biting off the head of a bat doesn't.

Jesus Christ, all these generalizations being thrown around with no basis of artistic license. And her letter is nothing but common sense; why call it an attention grab?
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 11:06 pm

corplhicks wrote:

Jesus Christ, all these generalizations being thrown around with no basis of artistic license. And her letter is nothing but common sense; why call it an attention grab?
because it was an open letter! If her intent was really to help Miley, then send the letter privately. She knew by posting the letter so everyone could see that it would generate buzz and gain a share in the spotlight.

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 11:48 pm

exact33 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

because it was an open letter! If her intent was really to help Miley, then send the letter privately. She knew by posting the letter so everyone could see that it would generate buzz and gain a share in the spotlight.
But that's a wild stab. We really don't know her intentions, but the maternal tone of the letter, combined with a decent dose of self-deprecation, doesn't suggest attention-hogging.. I applaud her choice to openly attack the very source of musical deterioration: the industry itself, most of all the major studios. In that vein, this is good shit for any impressionable young girl to read. What Sinead is proposing goes against the very nature of today's culture and parallels a moral tightrope.

Sinead has no spotlight to share. Her music has been of little consequence, peaking only on the indie charts. She hasn't pulled any so-called publicity stunts since ripping up the photo of the pope--which, IMO, was awesome. Everything she did had a point to it, a catharsis, a provocative epiphany, such as the Bob Dylan tribute. She's stood against organized religion, child abuse, sexism, and now the objectification of young women in popular music. I feel like she is deeply misunderstood on this board only because of wild guesses when really no one is familiar with her work at all.

Her music is also brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 1:49 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Laughing very hard 

I don't buy for a minute that anything Sinead did back in the day was anything more than attention grabbing. Artistic statement? BS - ripping up the Pope's picture was just to grab attention, not to "make an artistic statement."
It doesn't really matter what I say as you have attacked Sinead's character from the start. I'm not sure how you can say with any certainty what her motivations were for that ONE incident. I see it completely differently to you but then, I understand the culture that she comes from.

For the record attention seeking is when you invent news to try to drum up interest in a record that would otherwise be something that absolutely no-one would care about like the 'Great Queensryche Feud' Sinead really didn't need to drum up attention in 1992 (she was already appearing on 'Saturday Night Live' and was a major selling artist) the whole controversy hurt her career, but she felt it needed saying so she said it. Criticize her for that if you like but to portray her as an attention seeker is a bit silly.

I think that the reason that it was an open letter was because it wasn't really just aimed at Miley C but all of the other young girls, raised by the system and ruthlessly exploited.

But I'm sure that your not 'buying' that either.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40564

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 7:53 am

corplhicks wrote:
exact33 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

But that's a wild stab. We really don't know her intentions, but the maternal tone of the letter, combined with a decent dose of self-deprecation, doesn't suggest attention-hogging.. I applaud her choice to openly attack the very source of musical deterioration: the industry itself, most of all the major studios. In that vein, this is good shit for any impressionable young girl to read. What Sinead is proposing goes against the very nature of today's culture and parallels a moral tightrope.

Sinead has no spotlight to share. Her music has been of little consequence, peaking only on the indie charts. She hasn't pulled any so-called publicity stunts since ripping up the photo of the pope--which, IMO, was awesome. Everything she did had a point to it, a catharsis, a provocative epiphany, such as the Bob Dylan tribute. She's stood against organized religion, child abuse, sexism, and now the objectification of young women in popular music. I feel like she is deeply misunderstood on this board only because of wild guesses when really no one is familiar with her work at all.

But.....your view ia a wild stab too. No one in this thread really knows her true intentions.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 7:59 am

I like Sinead's music, but she knew back in the day, tearing a pic of the Pope on Saturday Night Live was going to generate a certain amount ink. I don't doubt her sincerity in how she felt about the Catholic Church but tearing up the pic of the Pope on TV is not going to generate an intelligent discussion on the issue.

I am sure her letter is somewhat sincere, but Miley seems to be in control of her career, and not a puppet of anyone, except her own desire for mega superstardom
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 8:10 am

I'm still trying to get my head around the notion of somebody using an internet dating site and getting fixed up with Sinead.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 8:25 am

jstate wrote:
I'm still trying to get my head around the notion of somebody using an internet dating site and getting fixed up with Sinead.  
She had to leave another site after they matched her up with Pope Benedict and he made a lunge for the boobies waay too early in the date!

Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Pope_110

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 8:43 am

Boris2008 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Laughing very hard 

It doesn't really matter what I say as you have attacked Sinead's character  from the start. I'm not sure  how you can say with any certainty what her motivations were for that ONE incident. I see it completely differently to you but then, I understand the culture that she comes from.

For the record attention seeking is when you invent news to try to drum up interest in a record that would otherwise be something that absolutely no-one would care about like the 'Great Queensryche Feud' Sinead really didn't need to drum up attention in 1992 (she was already appearing on 'Saturday Night Live' and was a major selling artist) the whole controversy hurt her career, but she felt it needed saying so she said it. Criticize her for that if you like  but to portray her as an attention seeker is a bit silly.

I think that the reason that it was an open letter was because it wasn't really just aimed at Miley C but all of the other young girls, raised by the system and ruthlessly exploited.

But I'm sure that your not 'buying' that either.
You are correct - I don't buy it. No artistic statement at all - she may hate the Catholic church but it was all about staying in the spotlight and being remembered. She got what she wanted with that action - she would have otherwise faded away as a one hit wonder. She wanted a few more minutes in the spotlight with her "open letter" and she got it. You don't get that famous and not have a bit of narcissism running through your veins.

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 10:11 am

007 wrote:
No one in this thread really knows her true intentions.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 1:54 am

007 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
exact33 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

But.....your view ia a wild stab too. No one in this thread really knows her true intentions.
My opinion is generated from several areas of evidence:

1. the composition and voicing of her letter, which suggests a humble, maternal affection.

2. the context of Sinead's experience with organized religion during a time when...please everyone read this f*cking carefully...the protestant and catholic religions were at a vicious, violent, European war with each other and went to great lengths to demoralize the other side.

3. the causes Sinead has stood for, which are admirable.

4. her actions that are being discussed here...well, let's just say she's not stupid. Everyone knows when you pursue an avant garde image in popular music you get skewered by mainstream listeners. She's already discussed in interviews she knew the inherent risk and most of it was to piss people off, NOT to sell records.

5. her music, most poignantly her lyrics.

That's not a wild stab. Other voices here claiming a false nature seem to be extremely short-sighted with brief flaming diatribes at her character when they know nothing about her in the first place. It's a pretty disgusting display of judgement that has no viable intuition or insight--a wild stab. I believe members here to have more depth than that, so I'm just going to ring this up as a moment of receding clarity. Time to move on.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40564

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 7:53 am

corplhicks wrote:
007 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
exact33 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

My opinion is generated from several areas of evidence:

1. the composition and voicing of her letter, which suggests a humble, maternal affection.

2. the context of Sinead's experience with organized religion during a time when...please everyone read this f*cking carefully...the protestant and catholic religions were at a vicious, violent, European war with each other and went to great lengths to demoralize the other side.

3. the causes Sinead has stood for, which are admirable.

4. her actions that are being discussed here...well, let's just say she's not stupid. Everyone knows when you pursue an avant garde image in popular music you get skewered by mainstream listeners. She's already discussed in interviews she knew the inherent risk and most of it was to piss people off, NOT to sell records.

5. her music, most poignantly her lyrics.

That's not a wild stab. Other voices here claiming a false nature seem to be extremely short-sighted with brief flaming diatribes at her character when they know nothing about her in the first place. It's a pretty disgusting display of judgement that has no viable intuition or insight--a wild stab. I believe members here to have more depth than that, so I'm just going to ring this up as a moment of receding clarity. Time to move on.

Ok we get it, she hates the Catholic church (plenty of people do) and she says she did it mostly to piss people off. I'd say that right there is nothing more than a publicity stunt.But again that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Last edited by 007 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 8:21 am

jstate wrote:
Laughing very hard I'd definitely want my money back.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 9:28 pm

corplhicks wrote:
exact33 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Her music is also brilliant.
I totally disagree but, to be frank, I am not wasting any more time on her. Not worth the discussion and giving her any more attention.

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 6:25 am

So how many extra copies if what album did Sinead sell by tearing up a picture or the pope again?

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 8:31 am

I don't know but I think that the album she made before she did her ace publicity stunt sold 7 million copies.

The one directly after sold 1.5 million.

Still, I'm sure that writing a letter to a half naked tone deaf girl will bring all of those fans flocking back! Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 12:03 pm

Sinead didn't stand up to organized religion, she attacked Catholics. There wasn't any catharsis moment on an American comedy show. Folks don't look to Saturday Night Live for moral grounding. People don't ever decide to come together and discuss differences because of insults. An attention grab, that's all, and it back fired on her. Open letters are merely the act of cowards. As if Sinead really gives a damn about Miley. Really. That open letter was vague and self serving. I'm not Catholic and quite frankly think that much of the heat of late is deserved. I understand the problems of Sinead's homeland and can't image growing up with such turmoil. I don't know Sinead or her music and I'm not presuming to know her intentions, just evaluating her actions. I didn't even know who Miley was until my 9 year old told me, and I still don't want to know, but I need to pay attention to what my kids are watching and listening to.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm Catholic and she never attacked me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Spanish-inquisition-04
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 4:51 pm

S.D. wrote:
Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Spanish-inquisition-04
Monty Python 

PostSubject: Re: Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince   Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Open letter to Miley from Sinead O'con...the bald singer who likes Prince
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2