Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson

Go down 
+20
Svengo
Lari
DallasBlack
corplhicks
tohostudios
Eyesore
Troublezone
Hadley
Orion Crystal Ice
thejokeriv
cruedevil71
Witchfinder
bass63
nevermore
MetalRob331
bgsully
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
cruedevil71
Metal student
Metal student
cruedevil71

Number of posts : 104

Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 7:06 pm

Troublezone wrote:
cruedevil71 wrote:
I do enjoy Chris Cornell's version of Billie Jean (not included) but I have absolutely no desire to hear 90% of this. I'm guessing Glover and Pinnick's versions won't suck completely.
Because they're black?
Hahaha, I noticed that after I posted it but no, at least not consciously. I just felt that they would be able to pull it off as effortlessly as Chris "Cracker" Cornell.just kidding 
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 7:43 pm

Nonpoint's version is much better than Chris Cornell's. It's essentially his version, but slower, the vocals "breath" much better. Just a stronger version overall.

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Eyesore wrote:
bgsully wrote:
I've always enjoyed Alien Ant Farm's take on smooth criminal........but I'd have to hear the rest.
Alien Ant Farm is such a great band. It's a shame leading off with that song as their debut major-label single fooled people into thinking they were some goofy band. =(
I heard the song "Movies" well before I heard Smooth Criminal. The cover is ok but they're a much better band than that...
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 7:53 pm

I like the Alien Ant Farm cover but I don't think I'd chance this compilation because A) I'm not that familiar with MJ's music and B) I don't see a lot of bands on it that would cause me to buy.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 2:10 am

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Alien Ant Farm has been milking that one song their whole career.
Not. People are just content with being ignorant and thinking that. =)
Seriously, how many people have heard much else from them?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 2:12 am

I'm just curious to hear the Chuck Billy rendition of Thriller.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 2:44 am

MetalRob331 wrote:

This worked..

Idk this seems so odd I have to hear it Laughing very hard 
No. It does not work. The song is beautiful. Malmsteen is shit. His version is shit. Bad taste of greater extremes than any man has known.

That said, I present the general HOM public with this:

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 3:09 am

corplhicks wrote:
No. It does not work. The song is beautiful. Malmsteen is shit. His version is shit. Bad taste of greater extremes than any man has known.
Come on now, some of his older classic material is great. Yes he became more and more bloated as time went on, but albums like Fire And Ice, Marching Out, Odyssey, Trilogy, and Eclipse are fine metal albums.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 3:32 am

DallasBlack wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Come on now, some of his older classic material is great. Yes he became more and more bloated as time went on, but albums like Fire And Ice, Marching Out, Odyssey, Trilogy, and Eclipse are fine metal albums.
Nope. I had all those CD's. Hated them from the get-go. He's always been bloated to me. Just a personal aversion is all.

Wait. Fire and Ice? Really?
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 9:52 am

tohostudios wrote:
I don't see a lot of bands on it that would cause me to buy.
That pretty much sums it up for me. I will buy tribute albums if its towards a band or person whose music I don't have (as in this case) but those bands don't interest me at all.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 9:54 am

DallasBlack wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Yes. Yngwie is great. Bloated? Maybe... but enjoyable nonetheless
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 2:15 pm

corplhicks wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

This worked..

Idk this seems so odd I have to hear it Laughing very hard 

That said, I present the general HOM public with this:

I like John 5's version but it just sounds like he's playing over a backing track. Yngwie's is much more in his signature style and he even paid some homage to EVH tremelo picking Razz
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 2:23 pm

I actually don't think the John 5 cover is anything to write home about but I do enjoy his respectful homage of the solo.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 2:31 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I actually don't think the John 5 cover is anything to write home about but I do enjoy his respectful homage of the solo.
He did a killer job on that solo..
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 4:17 pm

The lineup isn't very impressive. I mean, Paul DiAnno, Chris Jericho and a bunch of nobodies. Are we supposed to be excited about this?

The one exception I'd like to hear is Doug Aldrich playing the Way You Make Me Feel.

Also, who is playing with Chuck Billy? It doesn't say.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 6:25 pm

John 5's version is commendable. I like his overall accuracy of the song. He is right up there with Satriani these days.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 8:02 pm

John 5 > Malmsteen
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Is there a version of the John 5 cover that includes vocals?
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 11:28 pm

I think it's kinda funny that as soon as the man was dead suddenly tributes abound and every celebrity gives a sound-bite about how great the man was with not too much mention of all the creepiness that surrounded him at one time or another during his life.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 11:53 pm

Svengo wrote:
I think it's kinda funny that as soon as the man was dead suddenly tributes abound and every celebrity gives a sound-bite about how great the man was with not too much mention of all the creepiness that surrounded him at one time or another during his life.
You have half a good point there; it seems his dark side has been brushed aside in favor of a more god-like status. But Jackson was a ground-breaking artist, no doubt about it. Well-crafted, tight pop songs, intense moves, his contributions to MTV...he truly was the King of Pop.
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 12:14 am

corplhicks wrote:
Svengo wrote:
You have half a good point there; it seems his dark side has been brushed aside in favor of a more god-like status. But Jackson was a ground-breaking artist, no doubt about it. Well-crafted, tight pop songs, intense moves, his contributions to MTV...he truly was the King of Pop.
Oh I totally agree with you there, I recognize the man's talent but at least for me that talent doesn't trump all the of the other pretty awful stuff. I still spin his early albums/singles with the Jackson 5 every so often as that stuff is golden and really how I choose to think of him as that super talented kid singing with his brothers before all the craziness that surrounded him after he became a mega-star.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 1:02 am

Svengo wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Svengo wrote:
Oh I totally agree with you there, I recognize the man's talent but at least for me that talent doesn't trump all the of the other pretty awful stuff. I still spin his early albums/singles with the Jackson 5 every so often as that stuff is golden and really how I choose to think of him as that super talented kid singing with his brothers before all the craziness that surrounded him after he became a mega-star.  
Jackson's narcissism really did him in later on, and unfortunately tainted his music as well. I'm with you in that his early work was an accurate portrait of a young artist with a lot of talent to show the world.
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 1:17 am

I feel bad for MJ. Imagine having that monster Joe Jackson for a father. Rumor has it that Joe had MJ's testicles removed before puberty so his voice could stay high. Apparently there is a historical precedent :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrato
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 2:18 am

Yeah that might have made the three children he fathered quite difficult. sigh 
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 9:37 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Yeah that might have made the three children he fathered quite difficult. sigh 
You're assuming that that information is true.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson   Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next