Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?

Go down 
+23
DakotaRogers
candlemass
Thrasher73
Gilbert
metalhead777
BearOnUnicycle
Fat Freddy
fingers
Witchfinder
Shawn Of Fire
chewie
bass63
Citanul
Troublezone
thejokeriv
Boris2008
MetalRob331
Orion Crystal Ice
exact33
tohostudios
corplhicks
krokus
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 12:21 pm

Still enjoying hail to the king as the first day it came out.

This album annihilates.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 4:29 pm

Thread....resurrected!

At work we take turns creating our workout of the day, and the creator also gets to control the music. My Captain is into metal as well, but more on the metalcore side of things and we meet in the middle with Thrash or traditional metal.

So, during his last few "days"  two bands kept popping up and I'd ask "Who's that? They're good!" That kept happening over and over. Band #1 was Amon Amarth. I now own some. Don't know why I haven't loved them for years. I love their sound.

Band #2 is...Avenged Sevenfold. I'd heard some songs before, but didn't know who the band was. Some of the "deeper" tracks were good as well, and I've decided to take the plunge.

So, I came to trusty HoM to research further and...the horror! The hate! Besides a few defenders, I've rarely run across a band so hated. I don't get it. I like a lot of what I'm hearing.

Anyhow, just popped in to say "hi!"
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 4:49 pm

The "hate," for me, is based on the fact that these guys have no musical integrity; they just followed the trends, jumped on whatever bandwagon the mainstream was pulling at the time. And to make it all worse, many tracks on their latest album are borderline plagiarized.

But really, I just think they lack heart and it shows in their music. It does nothing for me.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 4:56 pm

Hmm...Ok, that's cool.

I've been checking them out on youtube, and on one of the albums I do hear them worshipping at the altar of Metallica, but I still liked it. I go with Toho's thoughts on that. A good imitation is still good.

On a side note, my 14yo was sitting beside me, looked up from what she was doing and said "they're good." Since her current obsession is The Sword, I took that as high praise.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 5:52 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Hmm...Ok, that's cool.

I've been checking them out on youtube, and on one of the albums I do hear them worshipping at the altar of Metallica, but I still liked it. I go with Toho's thoughts on that. A good imitation is still good.

On a side note, my 14yo was sitting beside me, looked up from what she was doing and said "they're good." Since her current obsession is The Sword, I took that as high praise.

If she likes The Sword, may I suggest Valkyrie?

It's like they have the same singer.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 5:56 pm

Whoa! You nailed that comparison. Sounds a lot like him. Not a bad song at all.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 6:13 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Whoa! You nailed that comparison. Sounds a lot like him. Not a bad song at all.

Yeah, they're a great band. Been around a bit longer than The Sword, so it's just a coincidence, not a copycat type of thing. Both bands are great.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 6:40 pm

Scott,
I really think it's cool that you and your teenage daughter can intelligently discuss bands.  I would have loved to do that with my mom or dad but unfortunately while I was listening to Jethro Tull, Queen, Rush and Kiss in my teenage years, my parents were "grooving" to George Beverly Shea.

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 7:06 pm

Yeah, I think most of us bumped heads with our parents. I try to let her like what she likes, and when some of that is what I like? Bonus! She likes some of her Mom's stuff, and some of her own stuff.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 10:36 pm

My mother got me into music, in a sense. She used to jam 80s rock all the time. Def Leppard's Pyromania was the first that really caught my attention. That was my introduction to the band. Hysteria was then the first album I ever owned. She also took me to see them on that tour, my first concert.

She wasn't a huge music fan, but she dug that stuff, so it was cool for me. Later she went through a Michael Bolton phase, then Luther Vandross, then Josh Groban, and a bunch of crap in between all those. Lately it's Il Divo, some terrible opera crap. She still digs 80s rock and stuff like it, but that's where our mutual musical tastes begin and end. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 10:45 pm

My mum likes The Dubliners, Van Morrison, Tammy Wynette & Dolly Parton

and so do I!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 12:02 am

Neither of my parents are fans of metal but they do like a lot of the artists I listen to. My mom on the MHR/AOR stuff as she listened to a lot of pop radio in the 80s/early 90s and my dad on a lot of the classic rock stuff (though I do remember him also listening to a lot of old country and big band music). My mom lost me when she started to listen to (what was then called young) country. A lot of that had to do with her second husband, Larry. My dad could never stand that version of country. I have managed to get my mom into TSO for the Christmas stuff and even the non-holiday stuff. I never convinced my dad to listen to anything though he actually had some praise when I played Amorphis-Black Winter Day to him. Wasn't crazy about the vocals but he said the music was very pleasant.

As for the topic at hand, I don't know enough about these guys to form any real opinion. I heard them do a Iron Maiden cover and while I thought they handled the music well, the vocals ruined it for me. After that I never really sought them out.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 8:14 am

I have mixed feelings on this band, I own only album by them 'City of Evil' which I enjoy, and I admit it took me a while to warm up to them.

I saw a clip of them performing live at the Download 2014 and I have to admit, was very impressed. Also noticed a few their tunes a bit like Metallica.

One thing that is unusual about their career, is how their record label allowed them to evolve. Not typical of today's music climate.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 10:45 am

go get hail to the king. you will be amazed at how metal they sound now.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 11:03 am

Gilbert wrote:
go get hail to the king. you will be amazed at how much like metallica's black album they sound now.

Fixed it for ya.... LOL!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 1:17 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
go get hail to the king. you will be amazed at how much like metallica's black album they sound now.

Fixed it for ya.... LOL!!!!!!

headbanger 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 2:47 pm

Amazing band. They are as metal as you can get. Best lyrics, riffs, and vocals.

I love mainstream radio.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 3:44 pm

I think that "Requiem" song sounds like Iced Earth...

PostSubject: Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?   AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AVENGED SEVENFOLD. What do you guys think about this band?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3