Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My tastes have wimped out...

Go down 
+29
bass63
Eyesore
Shawn Of Fire
EmoElmo
BearOnUnicycle
krokus
jstate
tohostudios
bgsully
Lari
Sword Of The Heretic
manny
Wurthless
Dark Horseman
exact33
chewie
Lurideath
MetalRob331
MetallicSeminarian
Short-Fuse
Orion Crystal Ice
stepcousin
mc666
journeyman
Boris2008
corplhicks
80s Metal Lady
James B.
Alex Dee Rokket
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

My tastes have wimped out... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Also, I know I said it somewhere in another thread, but my desire to listen to black or death metal pretty much disappeared the day my son was born (close to two years ago).

It was a thing where I was like, living in a world with something as awesome and beautiful as this little guy, there's no room for stuff like Deicide and Morbid Angel for me in that world.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 3:46 pm

I pretty much listen to everything, and years ago when I made a decision that my pop/metal and Southern rock collection had to go, I got rid of my Black Oak Arkansas collection (had all 16 albums, I know nobody needs 16 BOA albums) and minor bands such as Black n Blue, Rough Cutt (all on vinyl), I now regret this.

But I will listen to Bob Dylan, Morbid Angel, Deep Purple and Cyndi Lauper all within the same day and not think twice about it, good music is good music.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Quote :
I got rid of my Black Oak Arkansas collection (had all 16 albums, I know nobody needs 16 BOA albums)
Laughing very hard

I had no idea that there were that many Black Oak Arkansas albums!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 7:12 pm

I think I might like some death metal, but there is a lot going on in that music (some would say a lot of noise), and I think you have to have somewhat educated ears to completely appreciate it. I mean educated to appreciate a certain kind of music. I realized this a few years ago when the last Martin Popoff (2000's) encyclopedia came out, and David Perri had included a CD of mostly extreme and death metal with the book. I thought it would be a good place to start and get a feel for some of that music, but it all sounded the same to me. It was just pointless to listen to. I'm fairly sure that the fault was that I just wasn't familiar enough with the genre to appreciate it. I'm the same way with extreme thrash. I expect that If I took the time I would learn like certain songs (probably the more melo ones), but I'm too busy listening to other music to make the effort.
However I know from experience that the more traditional metal that I prefer to listen to all sounds the same to people who aren't into metal (I know a lot of country fans), because they have told me so. Repeatedly.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 7:51 pm

bass63 wrote:
My taste for music has always been Rock but nothing to heavy. The Thrash/Death/Black Metal that a lot of you listen too on this board is what I call Garbage/Noise. That being said, I know that there are a lot of you that like that stuff. Nothing wrong with that, variety is the spice of life. I'm sure I could get many of you to say why you hate Country music as much as I do. Why do I hang out here? I just love reading you guys & gals thoughts on music. And you do hit upon bands that I do like. Has my taste changed or mellowed through out the years? No I don't think so. I still enjoy Kiss, Cheap Trick, Zeppelin, Deep Purple like I did back in my younger years of the 70's.Once a Rocker, always a Rocker. Everybody just does it different than I do.
That sounds like something I would have posted.  

And I find that now, at the ripe old age of 53, not only have my tastes not mellowed but they've gotten weirder.  I listen to lots of oddball stuff that's all over the place that I never would have given the time of day 20 years ago.  Like Alabama 3.  Impossible to classify (unless you use "crap" as a category. Very Happy ).  And industrial; 2 decades ago I'd have dismissed a band like Ministry as "noise" (which they actually are) but now I hear riffs in that "noise".   And bands like Blessid Union Of Souls, Sonia Dada, The Holmes Brothers have all let me explore the "gospel" side of music.

Age may not necessarily bring wisdom but I think in my case it's definitely brought musical openmindedness.

Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 1:27 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Thought I'd give an update...

I have now sold off pretty much all my 'extreme' metal albums. I think the only ones I have kept are from the more melodic bands like Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, In Flames, Soilwork and the like. I guess the 'softer' sounding extreme metal bands. I have also kept my Immortal albums because I love Immortal especially from Blizzard Beasts onwards and they are easily the one (and only for me) black metal band that have managed to make something cool (for me) of the black metal genre.
Out of curiosity since you said you kept your more melodic stuff. What do you think of Dissection who have like Melodic Black/Death style?

Also since I was just watching one of your vids. Do you still listen to 'new' Darkthrone?
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 4:50 am

choosemetal wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

I have now sold off pretty much all my 'extreme' metal albums. I think the only ones I have kept are from the more melodic bands like Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, In Flames, Soilwork and the like. I guess the 'softer' sounding extreme metal bands. I have also kept my Immortal albums because I love Immortal especially from Blizzard Beasts onwards and they are easily the one (and only for me) black metal band that have managed to make something cool (for me) of the black metal genre.
Out of curiosity since you said you kept your more melodic stuff. What do you think of Dissection who have like Melodic Black/Death style?

Also since I was just watching one of your vids. Do you still listen to 'new' Darkthrone?
I still like the new Darkthrone because it is much closer to early-mid 80s thrash than their black metal albums. As for Melodic Black/Death - I still like some of the more mainstream bands like In Flames, Scar Symmetry and Soilwork. I've never been big on Dissection though.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 8:43 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
I still like the new Darkthrone because it is much closer to early-mid 80s thrash than their black metal albums.
Yeah, agreed--not a huge black metal fan here, but Darkthrone's recent stuff is really, really good.
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 1:01 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
choosemetal wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

I still like the new Darkthrone because it is much closer to early-mid 80s thrash than their black metal albums. As for Melodic Black/Death - I still like some of the more mainstream bands like In Flames, Scar Symmetry and Soilwork. I've never been big on Dissection though.
OK cool. I really like the new Darkthrone way better than their black metal style.
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 4:29 pm

I love it all. Metal is king in my genre preference, and that involves all metal types. I have heavy days, and I have lighter days. Sometimes it's not metal at all, but prog or jazz. In fact, some days I love jazz more than I love metal. Then there's more acoustic music, such as Neil Young or Dylan or even Gordon Lightfoot. And then there's the really soft side of me that enjoy 80's easy listening, such as Christopher Cross' Sailing or Bee Gees' How Deep is Your Love. And then there's today, when I don't want to hear any music at all because it just sounds like noise, which is rare but happens. It's almost like a personalty disorder lol.

As for vox, I prefer melody. I wear quickly from screaming and growling. At the end of the day, it's just one of those Camus moments where you wonder, "well, why the hell aren't they singing in the first place?" If the ability is there, it should be done. Personally, guttural vox are far less threatening, brutal, and intense, than an angry melody. But I still like it all, whether it's Death or Morbid Angel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My tastes have wimped out...
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: