Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)

Go down 
+11
snooloui
Thrasher73
Witchfinder
Eyesore
journeyman
Lari
tohostudios
jstate
corplhicks
BearOnUnicycle
ZombieHavoc
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 1:55 pm

Most of the bands posted, I wouldn't consider "lost gems." They may not have been huge, but bands like Dangerous Toys, Kik Tracee, Junkyard, and so on were relatively popular.

This is what I consider a lost gem.

Such an amazing band. Their only studio album was this one, which I pulled from a $2 used bin way back in the 90s. That last track, "Untitled," is one of my all-time favorite songs.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 2:41 pm

Lot's of good stuff posted here. What I was going for was more stuff by bands that either a) never got got major label deals or b) if they did, the stuff got shelved without release when the genre was fading away.

But it doesn't matter. A lot of bands have been listed that, even though they may have had a release on MCA or Geffen or whoever, they still weren't given a real shot, since some of those labels would not promote any of this stuff after its release.

Dangerous Toys, though, I feel made it as much as you could without being one of the big boys. Both "Teas'n Pleas'n" and "Scared" spent a good amount of time on Dial MTV countdowns and such. That album did get a pretty good push. Their second even got a relatively good push, considering. I saw ads for that plastered in every music mag at the time.

If we are talking bands with major label records that still never made it huge, my all time favorite is Pretty Boy Floyd. I spent from 1990 to 2000something searching for an album as infectios as Leather Boyz, and I've never come close to finding one. That one is perfection to me.

But definitely, Child's Play, Shotgun Messiah, et al., were good bands that any fan of the genre should check out.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 2:45 pm

Here is one of my favourite glam songs:

How about some Electric Boys? Pretty famous I guess, but I wanted to post the song because it's great headbanger 

Last edited by snooloui on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Man. I'm also going to need to throw Big Bang Babies into the mix here. I don't know if they ever got any sort of label release, but Perris put out a collection from their two albums, and it is great bubble gum glam. Not the weird, almost pop punk "bubble gum glam" of today, but just fun PBF-ish stuff.

Big Bang Babies' Kerri Kelli went on to be in PBF in the 90s, and was in a million other related bands. He played on Alice Cooper's Along Came A Spider album as well.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Here is another great album that got a re-release in recent years:

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 3:26 pm

Lari wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
I could add a ton of bands to this list:

Electric Angels
Childs Play
The Throbs
Spread Eagle
Smashed Gladys

...to name a few.
Name dropping bands doesn't help quite as much as you'd think. How about impressions? Or a song you particularly like?

I'm interested in this thread.
I can't speak for what draws Toho to these bands, but I can give you my impressions.

Electric Angels is essential and were sorely overlooked. They fall inline with like, Badlands maybe, some of the non-glam bands but still part of the whole deal. It's just, like, rock n' roll. "Head Above Water" is a particular fave of mine.

Child's Play same as above. They weren't glammed out, but just good ol' rock n' roll.

I'm not too into The Throbs or Smashed Gladys.

Spread Eagle sounded like a heavier version of Skid Row, to me. They were heavier than most of their peers. Not glam at all. Excellent band.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 3:26 pm

Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 3:27 pm

Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Ok..these 2 bands are not metal but have an edge and are both bands I love and wish would have gone somewhere...

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 5:42 pm

I love TPOH and I'm An Adult Now is the song that got me into them.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 5:43 pm

How could I forget Kings Of The Sun???? They had a major label deal but got almost no push at all.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 5:47 pm

And for a true "lost gem" there's The Soho Roses (Ramones meets Hanoi Rocks):

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 5:49 pm

And then there was Soul Kitchen.

Asphalt Ballet anyone?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 6:45 pm

I forgot all about soho roses...cool band.
Here is one that should have went somewhere in America especially...
220 Volt
Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 8:13 pm

Love this thread, I've only heard of close to two handfulls of them.  A lot of bands I'm learning of.  headbanger 

I know a post was made about Love/Hate at the begining of the month, and they had several albums, and were a hit on MTV with Black out, and a few others, but, O hell maybe they aren't quite a lost gem then scratch   But I don't think they went as far as they could have.  Bad timing, or band trouble.  Maybe a bit of both.  Won't post the vid since most of us know them.
Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 8:14 pm

Tyketto
Wildside
Vain
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 8:29 pm

I see toho beat me to Kings of the Sun but he neglected to post their most well known song....

Beyond that, how'zabout some Princess Pang...

...or Circus Of Power?

...or Cycle Sluts From Hell?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 4:02 am

Little Caesar

D.A.D

GlJ

I don't remember if Tyketto was mentioned yet?

Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 8:59 am

So much great stuff in this thread that it depresses me that more of these bands didn't break big.  Also the thread needs more Baton Rouge and Every Mother's Nightmare love.  Those two actually did get promoted pretty well (metalshop play and lots of ads) but it was probably a little late in the game for them to catch on.  Also a lot of my friends didn't take too well to the southern rock tinges in EMN.  To me that made them great.

Here are three others I think qualify....

Two-Bit Thief - Another Sad Story (on Combat records no less)

Outlaw Blood - s/t (on the doomed Atco Records)

9.0 - Too Far Gone (whole album is great but I've always loved this ballad)
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 9:07 am

Good call on Circus of Power, FF!

Howz about a little Brass Kitten

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 9:11 am

Banshee
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 9:15 am

Two-Bit Thief were an interesting, almost atypical band. I enoyed their CD.

Soho Roses definitely needs love. I feel they had a hard time finding an audience because their stuff is more powerpoppy almost, that the glam crowd may have overlooked it. And their image is way too glam for your average powerpop dude to even consider looking at.

Rock Candy also ruled. I've been wanting that album, but it seems a littke hard to come by.

I'm familiar with the majority of bands listed here, but I am quite pleased to now know about Kidd Blue. I'm listening on Spotify right now, and it's great. Looks like an FnA release. Good stuff.

Another good one is Noize Toys...these dudes put out their album in like 1995, I think. "Fallin in Lust...Again", but they are awesome, straight 80s glam. Hard as hell to find the CD though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)   The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The lost gems of the 80s/early 90s (for corplhicks)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2