Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?

Go down 
+17
ElectricEye93
bass63
Troublezone
Dark Horseman
MetalRob331
Lari
manny
corplhicks
ultmetal
James B.
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
MoonChild
krokus
Boris2008
Mglaffas81
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Empty
PostSubject: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 7:02 am

Title says it all
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 7:05 am

Both are important but Priest without Rob never interested me.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:15 am

Without Rob was a bigger impact. It was a end of a era for JUDAS PRIEST.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:16 am

For me, Priest is Tipton-Downing, so definitely without KK it is not fun as much. Sad

Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  KKDowningGlennTipton1JudasPriest_15
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:23 am

Halford - was bummed when KK left, but Richie did a great job playing the part of KK
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:25 am

I was most bummed to hear about Halford splitting the band, of course... but I didn't mind Jugulator at all. Priest had been out of commission for so long that I was simply glad to see something new with their name on it!

Yeah, Owens wasn't Rob, and I'm sure deep down he knew he was in a losing position, but he gave it the ol' college try anyway.

Haven't heard what they sound like with the KK clone so I can't judge.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:38 am

To me, the vocalist is the identity of the band. I thought Halford leaving was going to be the death knell for the band but they did find a capable replacement in Owens and put out a killer release in Jugulator. However, it still wasn't quite the same.

Although KK leaving is a bummer, I don't think it'll be as noticeable. (I have yet to hear the replacement play)
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 10:44 am

KK's replacement on the sample of "Epitaph" played on VH1 classic sounded good to me. Had the tone and vibe down pretty decent and seemed to be able to take off a lil quicker than KK. I wasn't sad when either split, a man has to do what a man has to do.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 11:27 am

Wasn't mad at either really. Halford leaving just gave me two bands to enjoy. Love his stuff with Fight.

KK leaving is a bummer, especially this late in their career. Watching that Epitaph DVD, geez, you'd be hard pressed to even notice that KK isn't there. It's less noticeable than Tommy Thayer playing Ace and he's in makeup and costume.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 11:35 am

ultmetal wrote:
Wasn't mad at either really. Halford leaving just gave me two bands to enjoy. Love his stuff with Fight.

KK leaving is a bummer, especially this late in their career. Watching that Epitaph DVD, geez, you'd be hard pressed to even notice that KK isn't there. It's less noticeable than Tommy Thayer playing Ace and he's in makeup and costume.

Yep - pretty much! When I saw the Epitaph show in NJ, everyone I was with all commented about what a great job Richie did. They really let him be out front and be himself. Even gave him a solo (I guess Glenn needed a break! lol!)
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Richie done good. I think he's really earned his spot in the band. Isn't he on the upcoming record? That'll be cool.

Owens is a killer singer and they couldn't have found a better replacement for Rob. Only problem I had, judging from hundreds of youtube videos and others who were able to see him in concert, was his stage presence. He was a bit of a goof.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 1:19 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2WvIE2kl9k

This is freakin' killer! And the sound quality is amazing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 1:21 pm

Priest didn't exist while Rob wasn't in the band. I was working at a CD store at the time the Ripper-led version of Priest released their first record, my co-workers and I jammed the album (after laughing non-stop for 15 minutes about Priest hiring a guy named "Ripper") and turned it off after a few songs.

Some bands can survive a change in lead singer...Priest ISN'T one of them.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 2:05 pm

Richie Faulkner is definitely a good guitarist, I have seen him live with Lauren Harris band, opening for Iron Maiden.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 2:06 pm

IMO Ripper Owens is a talented vocalist, and bought 'Jugulator' but I never grew to love the album. I did enjoy Halford's solo band and Fight, but not as much as I loved the Priest.

I can accept a change in a band, the problem with Halford-Less Judas Priest is the material just was not as good as their classic albums.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 4:33 pm

I wasn't sad at all. Obviously I was sad Rob had left and now KK, but by the time of the show I was excited to see the new Priest. I loved Jugulator and thought the band had a good thing going and was looking forward to Owens fronting the band for a long, long time. New direction, new sound, pretty cool.

I also like Richie Faulkner. I remember seeing him live when he played with Lauryn Harris, and thought he was awesome! Reminded me of Zakk Wylde. So seeing Priest with Faulkner was certainly something to be excited over.

This is not to dismiss Rob or KK, I've seen both of them multiple times with Priest and it's all good to me. Probably the best band ever, and it was never just about one man.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Jugulator is my favorite Priest album, so that tells you how I feel.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 5:32 pm

I'm a Ripper fanboy and I find that Jugulator rips holes in the paint.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Ritchie is more than capable as a replacement, but it just isn't the same... KK had a certain stage presence. Also, I was all for Rob returning to Priest for a long time. But after the two albums they did since he came back did nothing for me, I don't care either way...
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 5:52 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Ritchie is more than capable as a replacement, but it just isn't the same... KK had a certain stage presence. Also, I was all for Rob returning to Priest for a long time. But after the two albums they did since he came back did nothing for me, I don't care either way...
That's fodder for another poll - Jugulator/Demolition vs Angel/Nostradamus
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 6:29 pm

Definatly without Rob. You can't replace him.
Back to top Go down
ElectricEye93
Metal novice
Metal novice
ElectricEye93

Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Both their successors were brilliant but I think the loss was more felt with Rob. Tim was as good if not better on a technical level but Rob had a lot more character both in his voice and his stage presence.

As for KK and Ritchie I'm going to commit some serious heavy metal blasphemy and say based on the Epitaph DVD I actually prefer Ritchie. He's an amazing guitarist and in my opinion breathed new life into the band.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 8:49 pm

I wasn't sad to see either go.  Rob thought JP were a dinosaur rock band and wanted to do something more current to appeal to American "hard music" audiences.  Of course, he failed miserably and was forced into the inevitable reunion with JP.  When he came back he brought better lyrics and vocal melodies with him.

The new guitarist is amazing and I am glad he is with them.  He brings a lot to their live show and now JP finally has a "shredder" guitarist.  Now they have a guitar duo of one great songwriter/tasteful lead guitarist and one shredder.  This should make for a really interesting team on their future recordings.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 2:36 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Both are important but Priest without Rob never interested me.
THIS

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 12:06 pm

I bet, and I hate to say this, but if people didn't know it was JP with Ripper they'd have liked it more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?    Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Were you more sad to see Priest without Rob or KK?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next