Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?

Go down 
+15
dirtracin1
jettafiend
Orion Crystal Ice
mc666
James B.
bass63
BearOnUnicycle
manny
MetallicSeminarian
Dark Horseman
Lari
QuothTheRaven
MetalRob331
Boris2008
Chrome Locust
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 6:22 pm

I like listening to it and enjoyed playing it with other musicians. If I wouldn't of had that outlet as a youngster and even later on in middle age for that matter, I'd a snapped and done something stupid.

The best coping mechanism my life ever had....period

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Happy [quote="James B."]I like listening to it and enjoyed playing it with other musicians.  If I wouldn't of had that outlet as a youngster and even later on in middle age for that matter, I'd a snapped and done something stupid.

The best coping mechanism my life ever had....period

[/quote Happy Happy Best post ever. motherf*cker just nailed it to the bone. So, what is the excuse for assholes blaming their environment, turning to violent crime? James nailed it. Metal saves a brother's ass, not cause violence or crime. headbanger Nice one, JB.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 6:39 pm

It doesn't grab me by the face, but it's ok I guess.

Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 6:41 pm

It grabbed me by the face once! It was a bit unpleasant to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 6:42 pm

mc666 wrote:
It doesn't grab me by the face, but it's ok I guess.

So stick to Justin Bieber so Laughing very hard Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 6:48 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:

Pure metal heads, those cats.

Was it these cats?

What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Tumblr11
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 6:52 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Chrome Locust wrote:

Was it these cats?

What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Tumblr11

One of the greatest photos EVER.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 7:17 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Chrome Locust wrote:

Was it these cats?

That's them OMG, where did you get that??????????? I can't stop laughing - Christ, Ive already pasted that to favs.

Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 7:22 pm

I'm still laughing - God bless you. The cats all being AC/DC - its too much Laughing very hard Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 11:05 pm

Rock might be about rebellion in any basic and fleeting form, but metal is about pure discontent; rebellion that matures into a revolution of the mind. Heavy metal is a romantic manifesto in the grand tradition of Don Quixote - recognizing the madness and stagnation in seeing life merely as it is, rather than how it should be. That is at once the singular root of why metal is important, loved, misunderstood, and most importantly, hated.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 12:28 am

bass63 wrote:
manny wrote:
Because for most people music is something to have in the background, something to do the dishes by. Not just metal, but music in general is something that has meaning for us, its part of life's soundtrack, and it was love that never abandoned us. I personally feel we are the lucky ones, who feel just as passionate over music as when we were kids

Took the words right out of my mouth     What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 775710

Exactly!
Back to top Go down
dirtracin1
Metal student
Metal student
dirtracin1

Number of posts : 140

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 4:14 pm

I totally agree with and feel the same about everything that has been said so far. About violence, seems to me rap (excuse me, hip hop, lol) seems to cause alot of that. Just a couple days ago there was a Lil Wayne concert in Charlotte, and after the show, a man in his early 20's was stabbed and killed and a woman was also hurt in that same  incident. Of all the shows I have seen in Charlotte, I have never heard of anything at any of the metal shows I've attended.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Rock might be about rebellion in any basic and fleeting form, but metal is about pure discontent; rebellion that matures into a revolution of the mind. Heavy metal is a romantic manifesto in the grand tradition of Don Quixote - recognizing the madness and stagnation in seeing life merely as it is, rather than how it should be. That is at once the singular root of why metal is important, loved, misunderstood, and most importantly, hated.

Wow! I didn't see that coming, not on this thread. lol! 
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 4:27 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Chrome Locust wrote:

Was it these cats?

That's them OMG, where did you get that??????????? I can't stop laughing - Christ, Ive already pasted that to favs.  

bah. Cats cannot compare to TheKing:

What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 The_King_ACDC

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

This is awesome, and very very true.

EDIT: Dude I hope you don't mind but I just quoted you on Facebook. With 9 out of 10 of my 'friends' hating heavy metal, including my mother, I just had to hope that some of them would read this.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 7:00 pm

When I was younger I think it was the energy and power of the music that got my attention. Then over the years I've invested so much time in listening to metal that my ear has become attuned to it, I hear nuances and influences in metal that I don't hear in other types of music that I don't follow as closely. It's a language that I understand. When I hear a new song now it's not just the song, it's a whole history that I hear leading up to it.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 7:39 pm

I just enjoy it.

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:40 pm

I took a long break from metal--about three years--to discover other genres, and also I needed something with a heavy intellectual bent at the time. I mean, it's not like anyone metal is writing lyrics like Dylan. I think it was just a change in pace that I needed since it was metal and jazz for so many years (I did give up all my CDs at one point because I wanted to become a worship leader and listened only to worship artists; good thing I came to my senses). But I ended up coming back to metal. I can't explain why. It's the higher octane fuel, I guess. And it's so confident. Like a heavy shot of testosterone. Best of all, it keeps me calm in anxious times. Other genres, even jazz, don't do that for me.
Back to top Go down
ozzman
Metal novice
Metal novice
ozzman

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 2:50 pm

S.D. wrote:
Best-selling Music artists in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists_in_the_United_States

10. (tie) AC/DC and Barbara Streisand

That is an obvious tie!  I mean, Hell every time I by a AC/DC cd I truck over and get a cd by  Mrs. Streisand, Doesn't everybody?  lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 3:13 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I took a long break from metal--about three years--to discover other genres...

I did the same thing, but for 10 years.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 3:19 pm

S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I'm guessing it'll be something like that for me in the near future.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 7:56 pm

[quote="S.D."]
corplhicks wrote:

[/quote

i like it all. That is my problem.

Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 8:25 pm

exact33 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

[/quote

Me too! I also took a 10 year break, I love metal but I could never be tribal about it, there is simply too much great music for me to tie myself to a genre or time period.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 8:28 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

Me too! I also took a 10 year break, I love metal but I could never be tribal about it, there is simply too much great music for me to tie myself to a genre or time period.

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 8:34 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
exact33 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

[/quote

i love metal too but i dont get all mushy over it. Its good music but i dont see the transcendental nature of it or the poetic refrains expressed.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?   What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is it about heavy metal that grabs us by the face, and never lets go?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next