Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is HEAVY METAL

Go down 
+16
SAHB Healer
juanmiguel
kmorg
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
TH Joe
Metal Misfit
mc666
KissinMaiden
Wargod
iamrockerfun
Lurideath
Thrasher73
sovdat
ultmetal
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

What is HEAVY METAL - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is HEAVY METAL   What is HEAVY METAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2007 7:00 pm

As I undersatnd it, the term 'heavy metal' was a derogatory term used by elitist music critics. Many of the bands from that era (late 60's early 70's) actualy tried to distance themselves from that term, prefering to be called 'rock and roll' or simply 'rock'. So who was the first band to embrace the term 'heavy metal' and proudly say, "We are a heavy metal band'? It is my understanding that the first band to do so was Judas Priest. Can anyone confirm this?
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28442

What is HEAVY METAL - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is HEAVY METAL   What is HEAVY METAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2007 8:37 pm

ultmetal: I don't really think anyone would deny bands like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest were metal, really.

But as far as some of the bands go, I definitely don't believe Aerosmith or Led Zeppelin ever said they were a metal band. If there is an interview that indicates where they said so, when was it?

Sabbath were the first metal band.
Acts such as Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, etc. were not really metal bands, but did pave the way for what would eventually become heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

What is HEAVY METAL
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2