Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite live albums...besides the basics

Go down 
+23
A Handful of Wayne
Louder
Fat Freddy
RAIDwarden
jstate
QuothTheRaven
manny
BearOnUnicycle
MoonChild
journeyman
tohostudios
Lari
Boris2008
bass63
ultmetal
jettafiend
metalken
thejokeriv
chewie
exact33
Orion Crystal Ice
corplhicks
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 12:28 am

journeyman wrote:

Not to derail the thread, but talking about "live", I've been a little disappointed by the way bands seem to think its cool to use pre-recorded stuff instead of figuring out a way to do it LIVE (I've got the album already and don't really feel the need for you to push play for me). Hendrix figured out a way to play all along the watchtower even though it was physically impossible for him to play it exactly the way it is on the album. I think it is just pure laziness myself and get turned of when I see it. I paid money to see the band play, not a listening party with accompaniment.

I admit I ride the fence on this one.

What I do embrace fully is overdubs on live albums. I like to call them 'enhancements.' It's a trust issue, really: I have to trust the band kicked ass that/those night(s) and the overdubs are there to bring that out. Call it ignorance is bliss, but I'm totally fine with it. I'm also totally fine of live albums with no overdubs (Made in Japan is my all-time fav).

What I DON'T like is Van Halen's two shitty live videos. The hell, man. Especially Right Here Right Now (which was taken from the Selland Arena here in Fresno) which was culled from two different nights SPLICED TOGETHER. I got so sick of seeing Sammy's spandex change colors every other shot.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 2:58 am

Almost all that I like are already listed.

Alive in Athens by Iced Earth.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 7:32 am

Scorpions Tokyo Tapes and World Wide Live
Rainbow On Stage (on of my very first albums ever - didn't like Dio's voice at that time)
Speaking of Dio - love several live CD's and DVD's reissued not that long ago

I have to mention I've never cared for live albums indeed. Usually I love the version of a song I heard first and have a hard time listening to any different one for some reason, and more often than not it is studio original. Without video backing up they seem useless.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 7:48 am

journeyman wrote:
Iron Maiden - Maiden Japan
Iron Maiden - Beast Over Hammersmith
Whitesnake - live in the heart of the city
Scorpions - World Wide Live
Great White - recovery live (the one from the 80's)
Many of the ones already listed also.

Love live albums and in many cases better than the studio versions. I like live albums so much I guess because I love concerts.

Not to derail the thread, but talking about "live", I've been a little disappointed by the way bands seem to think its cool to use pre-recorded stuff instead of figuring out a way to do it LIVE (I've got the album already and don't really feel the need for you to push play for me). Hendrix figured out a way to play all along the watchtower even though it was physically impossible for him to play it exactly the way it is on the album. I think it is just pure laziness myself and get turned of when I see it. I paid money to see the band play, not a listening party with accompaniment.

I think that it depends on how it's done. DTP (who I have already mentioned on this thread) pretty much have to use backing tracks because of how the songs are constructed, (that or clone Anneke and take a full orchestra and choir on tour with them, I don't think that they are that wealthy), but everyone knows this and there are also excellent musicians on display too. If a band is using pre recorded stuff to be lazy or they are just not as good as they have been made to sound on the record it is pretty sucky.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 8:40 am

I love live albums, too many to name but my favorites:

AC/DC-If You Want Blood
UFO- Strangers in the Night
Jimi Hendrix- Band of Gypsys
Sex Pistols- Filthy Lucre Live
Black Sabbath- Live Evil
Deep Purple- Made in Japan
Deep Purple- In Concert
Rush- All the World's a Stage
AC/DC- Live
KISS- Alive
and list could go on and on and on and...
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 9:24 am

Even though its not metal (too be fair, several albums mentioned aren't either Wink  ) I have to mention one of my personal favorites, Journey-Captured. I know several of you here don't like them, but Journey, and this record in particular got a lot of turntable time during my high school years. It's the last time we got to hear the 70s version of the band before Jonathan Cain took over keys and that classic rock and roll sound changed. Many of the hits rocked a little harder than the studio versions and Steve Perry's liberties and expansions of the vocal lines show his versatility. I don't know (and don't really care) if there were overdubs done. This album is 70s Journey at its best. *steps off soapbox*

I also enjoyed Kansas-Two For The Show in addition to many of the essentials already listed.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 11:02 am

Captured is such a great live record.

One I've always loved is Samson's Live At Reading '81.

I'm also a big fan of Tesla's Five Man Acoustical Jam.

Because it was really my first exposure to the Rolling Stones Still Life is also a favorite. Going To A Go-Go tops my Stones song list.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 11:39 am

QuothTheRaven wrote:
Even though its not metal (too be fair, several albums mentioned aren't either Wink  ) I have to mention one of my personal favorites, Journey-Captured. I know several of you here don't like them, but Journey, and this record in particular got a lot of turntable time during my high school years. It's the last time we got to hear the 70s version of the band before Jonathan Cain took over keys and that classic rock and roll sound changed. Many of the hits rocked a little harder than the studio versions and Steve Perry's liberties and expansions of the vocal lines show his versatility. I don't know (and don't really care) if there were overdubs done. This album is 70s Journey at its best. *steps off soapbox*

I also enjoyed Kansas-Two For The Show in addition to many of the essentials already listed.

Gotta agree with on Journey. Great album. As is the Kansas album. The 30th anniversary version is top notch.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 12:09 pm

bass63 wrote:
QuothTheRaven wrote:

Gotta agree with on Journey. Great album. As is the Kansas album. The 30th anniversary version is top notch.

Yeah That 30th anniversary is a definite get!!!! Kerry say there are NO overdubs and after listening to many Kansas live bootlegs, I believe him.
Back to top Go down
RAIDwarden
Metal novice
Metal novice
RAIDwarden

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 12:11 pm

Live After Death is horrible, I don't understand why people like that one. Bruce sounds like he's gotta take the meanest dump for the duration of the whole show. Live in Ullevi is the best one next to Rock in Rio for Maiden
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 12:58 pm

More classics

Rainbow - On Stage
Black Sabbath - Live Evil
Ozzy Osbourne - Speak Of The Devil
Ozzy Osbourne - Tribute
Whitesnake - Live..In The Heart Of The City
Angel - Live Without A Net
Aerosmith - Live Bootleg
Aerosmith - A Little South Of Sanity
Deep Purple - Made In Japan
Riot - Riot Live
Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo
Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
Y & T - Open Fire
Starz - Live In Action
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 1:28 pm

bass63 wrote:
More classics
Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
Y & T - Open Fire

How could I forget those two!!!!! Y&T is so kick ass live!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Some of my faves:
Raven Live at the Inferno
W.A.S.P. Double Live Assassins
Savatage Ghost In The Ruins
Overkill Wrecking Everything (which is particularly epic on DVD)
Gamma Ray Skeletons in the Closet

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 8:23 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
journeyman wrote:

Love live albums and in many cases better than the studio versions. I like live albums so much I guess because I love concerts.

I think that it depends on how it's done. DTP (who I have already mentioned on this thread) pretty much have to use backing tracks because of how the songs are constructed, (that or clone Anneke and take a full orchestra and choir on tour with them, I don't think that they are that wealthy), but everyone knows this and there are also excellent musicians on display too. If a band is using pre recorded stuff to be lazy or they are just not as good as they have been made to sound on the record it is pretty sucky.
As an example of what I mean, Black Label Society on the Gigantor tour, when they did Concrete Jungle, the whole beginning wasn't played by the band, but a pre-recorded thing. I would much rather hear an arrangement of the song that they could actually play.

I have no problem with fixing up a live recording because watching a show and seeing the flubs or misses are easier to understand when your part of it and not so when listening to a recording. However their is a line when a live recording turns into a re-record. Sometimes songs take on a whole different vibe live and that's why I dig them.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 10:58 pm

chewie wrote:
bass63 wrote:
More classics
Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
Y & T - Open Fire

How could I forget those two!!!!! Y&T is so kick ass live!!!!!

Have you heard Y & T's latest live album? Live At The Mystc. Jaw dropping stuff. Double cd. Well worth the $12 at Amazon. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 1:13 am

Boris2008 wrote:
journeyman wrote:

I think that it depends on how it's done. DTP (who I have already mentioned on this thread) pretty much have to use backing tracks because of how the songs are constructed, (that or clone Anneke and take a full orchestra and choir on tour with them, I don't think that they are that wealthy),
or just re-arrange the songs.

I'd love to see a band like Nightwish perform all their symphonic stuff arranged for just the band that is on stage.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 2:50 am

How could I forget Yesterday & Today Live! One of my first live albums, major intense.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 8:01 am

RAIDwarden wrote:
Live After Death is horrible, I don't understand why people like that one. Bruce sounds like he's gotta take the meanest dump for the duration of the whole show. Live in Ullevi is the best one next to Rock in Rio for Maiden

Bruce sounds fine and the album sounds great - killer album (and a great video), minimal (if any) overdubs, love the mix with Dave in the left channel and Adrian in the right.

If you are talking about Ullevi 2005, that isn't an official release - it's a boot of a Nordic TV broadcast... I wish they could clean it up, give it a good mix and officially release it. Fantastic show!

Rock In Rio is better than Live After Death..... as is En Vivo (IMHO), but LAD is still a KILLER release and THE seminal live album of the 80's.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 8:45 am

thejokeriv wrote:
RAIDwarden wrote:

Bruce sounds fine and the album sounds great - killer album (and a great video), minimal (if any) overdubs, love the mix with Dave in the left channel and Adrian in the right.

If you are talking about Ullevi 2005, that isn't an official release - it's a boot of a Nordic TV broadcast... I wish they could clean it up, give it a good mix and officially release it. Fantastic show!

Rock In Rio is better than Live After Death..... as is En Vivo (IMHO), but LAD is still a KILLER release and THE seminal live album of the 80's.

Even though I don't really like live albums, Live After Death got immeasurable plays from the gang I hung around with back in the day so I have a great connection with it.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Speaking of Maiden, maybe you guys can help me out. It seems with every live Maiden album, Nicko can't seem to keep things together during Two Minutes to Midnight. Whenever they reach the pre-chorus, the tempo seems to go out of whack. Is it just me?
Back to top Go down
Louder
Metal student
Metal student
Louder

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 9:33 pm

I'm not a live album kinda guy usually, but I love Triumph's Stages.  I got it when I was first getting into Rock and Metal and just about wore it out.

ETA: How'd I manage to forget Gary Moore's We Want Moore?

Last edited by Louder on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 10:26 pm

Helloween- I Want Out Live
Pink Cream 69- Live In Karlsruhe
Blind Guardian- Tokyo Tales
Def Leppard- Mirror Ball
Evergrey- A Night To Remember
Flotsam and Jetsam- Once In A Deathtime
Gamma Ray- Alive '95
Iced Earth- Alive In Athens
The Killers- Live From Royal Albert Hall
king Diamond- In Concert '87
King Diamond- Deadly Lullabyes
Kiss- Alive III
Metallica- Live Shit
Ozzy- Live and Loud
Queensryche-Live Evolution

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 10:34 pm

Pink Floyd-Live In Pompeii
J. Geils Band-Live: Blow Your Face Out
J. Geils Band-Full Huse
Climax Blues Band-FM Live
Chicago At Carnegie Hall AKA Chicago IV
Queen-Live Killers
John Lee Hooker-Alone 1 & 2
John Lee Hooker-Bedroom Boogie
Neil Young-Live At Massey Hall 1971
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 10:45 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
RAIDwarden wrote:

LAD is still a KILLER release and THE seminal live album of the 80's.

Laughing very hard  Now I know that you are a big fan and won't be swayed on this, but still!
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 10:45 pm

James Brown-Live At The Apollo
Townes Van Zandt-A Gentle Evening With Townes Van Zandt
Townes Van Zandt-Live At The Old Quarter, Houston, Texas
Santana-Lotus
Otis Rush-All Your Love I Miss Loving: Live At The Wise Fool's Pub
Fleetwood Mac-Blues Jam In Chicago Vols. 1 & 2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite live albums...besides the basics   Favorite live albums...besides the basics - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite live albums...besides the basics
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next