Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Deep Purple Lineup

Go down 
+24
ElectricEye93
Vexer6
nevermore
Troublezone
bass63
Witchfinder
chewie
thejokeriv
bgsully
stepcousin
BearOnUnicycle
MoonChild
Temple of Blood
Gryphon-kl
James B.
ultmetal
Dark Horseman
exact33
Lari
journeyman
MetallicSeminarian
manny
Boris2008
corplhicks
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Which is the best DP lineup?
Mk I
Best Deep Purple Lineup Vote_lcap3%Best Deep Purple Lineup Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Mk II
Best Deep Purple Lineup Vote_lcap88%Best Deep Purple Lineup Vote_rcap
 88% [ 29 ]
Mk III
 3% [ 1 ]
Mk IV
 3% [ 1 ]
Mk V
Best Deep Purple Lineup Vote_lcap0%Best Deep Purple Lineup Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Mk VI
 3% [ 1 ]
Mk VII
Best Deep Purple Lineup Vote_lcap0%Best Deep Purple Lineup Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 33

AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Best Deep Purple Lineup Empty
PostSubject: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 6:29 pm

Here's a reference for clarity of which lineup is which

So a while ago on TMS they did a throwdown regarding the best DP lineup. David Coverdale was the guest. It seemed Mk III won not only the throwdown among the hosts/guests, but also with the cheering crowd, if memory serves me right. Now, I love Burn. It's one of my all-time favorite LP's of the 70's. But over Mark II? I'm wanting to see if others feel the same way or if they were just buttering up Coverdale (if I'm not mistaken Hughes was there as well as guest musician). I honestly can't in my mind justify any song on Burn being better than Black Knight, Speed King, Child in Time, Maybe I'm a Leo, Highway Star, Demon's Eye, etc. So obviously I'm voting for Mk II.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 6:53 pm

Burn is my favorite DP song ever, I freaking love that song! But overall, nope Mk II hands down.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 7:13 pm

Mark II followed closely by Mark VII (Morse, Lord) and Mark VIII (Morse, Airey).

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 7:31 pm

Mark II but a wide margin, I loved all versions of Deep Purple but Mark II is still the best
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Mark II, easily. Love the mark III stuff, as well.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 8:52 pm

MK II then III, IV, VII, VIII, V

MK II is way above any other version.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6330

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 8:56 pm

It has to be Gillan and Blackmore
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 9:02 pm

While I will always love the Blackmore era stuff I've been a BIG fan of the Steve Morse lineup since Purpendicular came out almost 20 years ago. I saw Mark VIII on the Bananas tour and they were fantastic.

People that ignore their recent material because Blackmore hasn't been involved for over 20 years have missed out on some really great music and probably the tightest live band they've ever been.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 9:08 pm

I am still working on getting all the material from DP but so far i like the recent stuff and the Burn era.

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 9:39 pm

Love Burn, amazing stuff but II is their best era.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 9:57 pm

S.D. wrote:
While I will always love the Blackmore era stuff I've been a BIG fan of the Steve Morse lineup since Purpendicular came out almost 20 years ago.  I saw Mark VIII on the Bananas tour and they were fantastic.  

People that ignore their recent material because Blackmore hasn't been involved for over 20 years have missed out on some really great music and probably the tightest live band they've ever been.  

I used to have "bananas." It was a really solid record.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 9:58 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:

I used to have "bananas." It was a really solid record.

Overall it is the weakest album they've done since 1995 but it still has some really good songs on it.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 10:01 pm

II! Gillan rules.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 10:12 pm

Too bad the Tommy, Glen and David line up never got the chance to gel

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1346

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 10:46 pm

Mark II. Not even close.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 10:51 pm

Of course I would be willing to bet the number of people that actually own more DP than Machine Head (or a Greatest Hits collection) are very few on this board. So I'm not the least bit surprised that Mark II gets all the votes.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 11:01 pm

S.D. wrote:
Of course I would be willing to bet the number of people that actually own more DP than Machine Head (or a Greatest Hits collection) are very few on this board.  So I'm not the least bit surprised that Mark II gets all the votes.  

I own:

Fireball
Machine Head
Burn
Stormbringer
Perfect Strangers
The house of blue light

I used to own (before I moved)

In rock
Made in Japan
Salves and masters
The battle rages on
Bananas
A couple of hits collections

Easily an all-time favorite band for me.
Back to top Go down
Gryphon-kl
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1346

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 11:07 pm

S.D. wrote:
Of course I would be willing to bet the number of people that actually own more DP than Machine Head (or a Greatest Hits collection) are very few on this board.  So I'm not the least bit surprised that Mark II gets all the votes.  

Shades of
Deep Purple
Best of
Fireball
Machine Head
Burn
When We Rock, We Rock and When We Roll, We Roll
Deepest Purple
Perfect Strangers
House of Blue Light

I've also heard songs from the Joe Lynn Turner and current line-ups, though not enough to really judge them yet.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 12:07 am

S.D. wrote:
While I will always love the Blackmore era stuff I've been a BIG fan of the Steve Morse lineup since Purpendicular came out almost 20 years ago.  I saw Mark VIII on the Bananas tour and they were fantastic.  

This is absolutely true. I just recently got into post-Mk III material and it blew me away; of course I remember hearing the band with Morse for the first time and thought he was the perfect replacement.

Right now I own everything up through Mk III. Looking forward to investing in Now What soon.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 12:29 am

I didn't even know there was doubt about which lineup was best. Smile
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 12:34 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
I didn't even know there was doubt about which lineup was best.  Smile

That's the interesting thing here; in the ep of That Metal Show I was referencing you'd think Mk III were the quintessential lineup of all-time. They were so homogeneously exponential in their praise for Burn, audience included, that I felt like I was in an alternate universe. From what I can deduce, they were truly buttering up Coverdale and Hughes, just completely kissing ass. So I didn't know there was a doubt either.

Of course, those throwdowns were pretty stupid to begin with on the show. Queen vs Queensryche? C'mon.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 12:43 am

I think Steve is a perfect fit for Deep Purple. Don is also a great fit, but I find that I miss Jon more than I thought I would. Almost every album from Deep Purple is different and that includes MK II all the way to present. Even the reunion MK II has a different vibe and rightly so, considering the decade or so many of them were off doing their own thing. That is the one thing I really like about Deep Purple, they don't have any pt. 1 and pt. 2 albums. Every one is it's own thing, which some like and some don't. The MK II years were pure magic, yet every album since has been good if not equally cool in its own way.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 2:30 am

MKII - no second thoughts.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 2:31 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
I didn't even know there was doubt about which lineup was best.  Smile

headbanger 
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 5:54 am

The one who created Perfect Strangers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Deep Purple Lineup   Best Deep Purple Lineup Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Deep Purple Lineup
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next