Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band

Go down 
+17
Citanul
Hadley
corplhicks
Temple of Blood
Vexer6
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Chairman_Smith
brokentulsa
bass63
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
bgsully
thejokeriv
ultmetal
MetallicSeminarian
ZombieHavoc
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 1:08 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Jon Bon Jovi's solo album sucked harder than Bon Jovi! Which was something of an achievement really.

Which one? I really liked Blaze of Glory, but never heard much from his second solo album (Destination Unknown).
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 2:58 am

Vexer6 wrote:
I downloaded a few Blackmore's Night songs off iTunes many years ago out of curiosity, the music wasn't bad per se, but it was definitely not at all what I was expecting it to be. Though i'm pretty sure most of you on here won't like it one bit

I have one Blackmore's Night album which I did enjoy, although not enough to convince me to ever get another one.

I wouldn't go as far to say that they sucked, but I don't think that any of the Queen member's solo albums are as good as the band's output. By a similar token, Roger Waters wasn't as good as Pink Floyd but neither was post-Waters Floyd as good as pre-Waters Floyd.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 5:09 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
I never understood why so many people like Paul's "Live to Win". Don't like that at all.

Me neither. When I first heard it I sez "It's been 28 years since your last solo album and THIS is the best you can come up with? Insufficient data, Starchild." Laughing very hard

I bought his solo album recently and I was like WTF!!!!
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 11:42 am

I enjoyed "Live To Win", at least more so then Gene Simmons "Assh*le"
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 12:01 pm

manny wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
I never understood why so many people like Paul's "Live to Win". Don't like that at all.

Me neither. When I first heard it I sez "It's been 28 years since your last solo album and THIS is the best you can come up with? Insufficient data, Starchild." Laughing very hard

I like it - it's not great, but not a terrible listen. Live To Win is probably the best track on the album.

That said - Live To Win is 100 times better than any of Peter Criss' solos albums..... and better than Gene's stuff... can't touch Ace's albums though
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 1:15 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
manny wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I like it - it's not great, but not a terrible listen. Live To Win is probably the best track on the album.

That said - Live To Win is 100 times better than any of Peter Criss' solos albums..... and better than Gene's stuff... can't touch Ace's albums though

I was disappointed with Paul's album, I guess it to be more KISS-like, like his 1978 solo album, did not expect modern rock influences.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 1:26 pm

manny wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
manny wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I was disappointed with Paul's album, I guess it to be more KISS-like, like his 1978 solo album, did not expect modern rock influences.

Makes sense to me! I had read interviews prior to the album where he said not to expect a KISS-like record, so my expectation were different... had I listened expecting something for KISS or his solo album like, I would have been disappointed....
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 6:09 pm

I think that Lulu counts as a side project. I vote Lulu!!
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 7:46 pm

I like most of Sammy Hagar's solo stuff, but Red Voodoo wasnt very good. It was mainly bar band music without any hard rock influence at all. He did redeem himself with Ten13 though.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 8:02 pm

While some of David Lee Roth's solo stuff is ok nothing compares to his work with Van Halen imo.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I think that Lulu counts as a side project. I vote Lulu!!

We have a winner.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 11:44 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I was going to mention Blackmore's Night, then I realised that I hadn't actually heard any of it! (that's how convinced I am that it's going to suck!  lol! )

I would just like to say that now I have heard some Blackmore's Night I would like to completely retract my previous statement. it doesn't suck at all, in fact (given the right mood) it's pretty darn good!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 12:29 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
While some of David Lee Roth's solo stuff is ok nothing compares to his work with Van Halen imo.

Eat 'Em And Smile was one of the best Roth albums and IMO is better than anything VH did without Dave, and better than some of the stuff they did with Dave.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 12:31 pm

ultmetal wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:

Eat 'Em And Smile was one of the best Roth albums and IMO is better than anything VH did without Dave, and better than some of the stuff they did with Dave.
Personally I thought "Skyscraper" was superior.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 1:04 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:

Personally I thought "Skyscraper" was superior.

Skyscraper was good too, but Eat 'Em and Smile was Dave hell-bent to prove something and out-do his former bandmaters. Great tour as well. Caught them at the War Memorial in Rochester, NY.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 2:03 pm

ultmetal wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:

This is very true; I'm a diehard VH nut yet I say Eat 'Em was a better record than 1984.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 8:10 pm

Phil Anselmo pretty much stank it up on everything after Pantera IMO. Sure Down had a few good songs but for that lineup I think it was TERRIBLE!!

Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 2:23 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
Dee Snider on Broadway  Embarassed

i love that album. the cheese factor alone makes the album so much fun to listen to.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Legend Seven are a fantastic hard rock band from Amarillo, TX that unfortunately were another casualty of the grunge wave after only 2 albums.

And then lead singer Andy Denton went solo...

lame
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 2:47 pm

I didn't even play the solo track. His album art says everything.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 2:50 pm

Of course, who can forget about this atrocity...

especially after this solid metal album...

Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 2:51 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I didn't even play the solo track. His album art says everything.

Exactly!!!
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 3:03 pm

Halo were a hard rock band from Atlanta that were accidentally discovered by Bob Hartman. They were signed to Pakaderm records where John and Dino Elefante proceeded to ruin the band.

So from this...

To this... (the only solid rocker on the album, the rest sounds like 80's REO Wimpwagon or Sister Christian era Night Ranger)

And then lead singer Scott Springer went solo...

Great lyrics, but the music is just cookie-cutter pop. OUCH! what could have been... Another case of 2 albums and done.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 5:08 pm

That first clip is pretty solid. Why have I never heard of these guys?

It's unfortunate that this happened to a great many Christian straight- or pop-metal bands. The AOR sound was huge with the Christian industry and the style of music in the church was getting very poppy so the bands were following suit--all "in the name of Jesus." I mean, c'mon.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Bob Welsh was better in Fleetwood Mac than in Paris or solo. 'Sentimental Lady' was better on the Mac album Bare Trees.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next