Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band

Go down 
+17
Citanul
Hadley
corplhicks
Temple of Blood
Vexer6
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Chairman_Smith
brokentulsa
bass63
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
bgsully
thejokeriv
ultmetal
MetallicSeminarian
ZombieHavoc
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Empty
PostSubject: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 10:34 am

So we had the thread about solo records/side bands that were better than the original band.

What about the ones where the band rules, and then the guy does a new band or solo record and it sucks terribly?

Gene Simmons comes right to mind for me. Peter Criss too, mostly. Some of his stuff was ok, like on Criss Cat #1 (aside from the dumb as hell title).

Also, Tommy Lee's Methods of Mayhem or whatever...so bad.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 11:42 am

If it counts, I didn't care for Mick Carlisle's Cybergrind, even though I love the stuff he did in mortification.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 11:43 am

I didn't care much for Rob Halford's TWO project.

Gene Simmons solos stuff isn't bad. Peter Criss has always been an R&B and 50's crooner type of guy. Stuff like Sinatra is his bag. People expect because he was in Kiss that his solo stuff will be heavy/hard rock. That's not really his style outside of Kiss. I'm not a big fan of it myself. Criss Cat #1 wasn't bad and was Peter's attempt to please the Kiss fans. His last solo album was all ballads, which I guess he expected would also please Kiss fans, but did not. He was working on a new solo album of rock songs but I think he stopped it for whatever reason. He talks about it some in his autobiography.

Nobody better say GEOFF TATE! His stuff solo stuff is AMAZING!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 11:58 am

ultmetal wrote:

Nobody better say GEOFF TATE! His stuff solo stuff is AMAZING!

The Vest is really an alien that has come to earth in the form of Geoff Tate and force-feeding the world pure horsecrap! Horrid solo albums (O:MC II, American Soldier, DTC, K&T, FU)
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 12:25 pm

I didn't like David Zaffiro's solo stuff, but loved his work with Bloodgood.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Quote :
Some of his stuff was ok, like on Criss Cat #1 (aside from the dumb as hell title).

Ugh. Really? I bought that CD after meeting Peter at a KISS Expo in 1994. He was a hell of a nice guy, it was cool to talk to him and get his autograph, but DAMN that CD was godawful.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 1:10 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Some of his stuff was ok, like on Criss Cat #1 (aside from the dumb as hell title).

Ugh. Really? I bought that CD after meeting Peter at a KISS Expo in 1994. He was a hell of a nice guy, it was cool to talk to him and get his autograph, but DAMN that CD was godawful.

Well, I said it was only "ok"...and that it is really just comparative to the rest of his solo output.

To be honest, I don't really care for much that any of the original KISS members have done outside of KISS, aside from Ace. I love Ace's solo stuff and FC stuff.

I never understood why so many people like Paul's "Live to Win". Don't like that at all. I do, however, like the Dudes of Wrath song he was involved in from the Shocker sountrack, if that counts.

And I love Vinnie Vincent Invasion, but as I said, original members, so.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Steve Harris - British Lion - pure garbage.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 1:19 pm

Marc Tremmonti's solo band outside of Alter Bridge
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 2:02 pm

Quote :
I never understood why so many people like Paul's "Live to Win". Don't like that at all.

Me neither. When I first heard it I sez "It's been 28 years since your last solo album and THIS is the best you can come up with? Insufficient data, Starchild." Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 2:13 pm

Dee Snider on Broadway  Embarassed
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 2:15 pm

Evey Bret Michaels solo album. sick
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Scott Waters - Dis 1 4 My Homies

Dude what were you thinking? Stick to Ultimatum, you're not a rapper!

Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Second on that Steve Harris album. I was surprised how bad it was.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Chairman_Smith wrote:
Scott Waters - Dis 1 4 My Homies

Dude what were you thinking?  Stick to Ultimatum, you're not a rapper!

Laughing 

I would so buy this.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 3:23 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Second on that Steve Harris album. I was surprised how bad it was.

Same here. Very very dissapointed.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Tommy Lee - Supernova
Jason Newstead - Supernova
Gilby Clarke - Supernova
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm

I thought TWO was an interesting side-project, but I can see why people didn't warm up to it.

There aren't any solo albums that come to mind that I outright dislike, but I do recall being somewhat dissapointed by Jack Russell's solo albums, they weren't bad, just not particularly memorable.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Jon Bon Jovi's solo album sucked harder than Bon Jovi! Which was something of an achievement really.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 9:40 pm

All of them!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 9:48 pm

Fourth on British Lion.

There's a lot to mention, really. Many side projects sucked more than others. Most of DLR's catalog. Soundgarden>Audioslave. Blackmore's Night. MD45. Robert Sweet's Love Trash. Anything George Lynch has done. I'd take the Runaways over Lita Ford any day. Not much of a fan of Whitecross, but they sure were kickass compared to King James. I know we have some A-Mob fans here, but I thought it was horrible, although Portnoy's scoring points with Winery Dogs. Izzy's solo album. Timo Tolkki. The list goes on.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 pm

I was going to mention Blackmore's Night, then I realised that I hadn't actually heard any of it! (that's how convinced I am that it's going to suck! lol! )
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 10:13 pm

A controversial one because I know that a lot of you love this, but I'm just not sure about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qNOWn4wYCs

Woof Woof! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 10:15 pm

I downloaded a few Blackmore's Night songs off iTunes many years ago out of curiosity, the music wasn't bad per se, but it was definitely not at all what I was expecting it to be. Though i'm pretty sure most of you on here won't like it one bit
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 11:11 pm

Blackmore's Night is very well done and pretty slick in fact, but it's fricking goofy and just not rock or metal music. I understand why the guy went in that direction, but it has almost nothing to do with his roots except that slight neo-classical flair.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band   Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Solo/side project/post-projects that suck way more than the original band
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next