Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Obscure covers?

Go down 
+16
Citanul
MetalGuy71
SAHB Healer
jettafiend
Orion Crystal Ice
bgsully
Leatherface
Gryphon-kl
James B.
kmorg
Witchfinder
Temple of Blood
metalheaded
Boris2008
Fat Freddy
TheGreatDuck
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 12:14 pm

When bands cover songs from other artists, those are usually the big bands everyone knows about (well, at least among the fans of the genre), such as Kiss, Sabbath, Aerosmith, Zepp, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Uriah Heep, Nazareth, Scorpions, Maiden, Priest, Dio, Ozzy, AC/DC etc.

So, I was wondering, does anyone know of any bands that recorded or performed covers from lesser known bands, or, even better, released entire albums of such covers?

Off the top of my head, I know Hammerfall covered Stormwitch on their covers album, and Possessor did a Nasty Savage track on their latest EP. Does anyone know of any other instances where the band chose to cover a song by a lesser known band?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37868

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 12:55 pm

Helloween's METAL JUKEBOX was a pretty eclectic collection of stuff. They covered well known songs like Bowie's "Space Oddity" and Faith No More's "From Out of Nowhere" as well as fairly obscure tracks like Babe Ruth's "Mexican," the Alex Harvey Band's "Faith Healer" and Mahogany Rush's "Juggernaut".

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Sat May 11, 2013 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 2:05 pm

Metallica started their career as an obscure covers band, they just didn't tell the fans that they were covers!

Hexvessel (with Rosie from Purson) have just covered Yoko Ono's Women of Salem and it grinds the original to dust. I don't know if this counts as Yoko Ono is one of the most famous women in the history of Rock music, but not really for her music.

I suppose Megadeth covering Howlin Wolf (Willie Dixon, Jeff Beck, I'll not argue.) was pretty off the wall. (particularly at the time!)

Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Dark At Dawn - Out In The Fields (Gary Moore cover)

I suppose that one's fairly obscure since they are criminally unknown, it seems.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 3:51 pm

CAULDRON BORN is covering HEAVY LOAD on our next album.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7631

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Powergod did two albums of all covers. Ult reviewed them here: http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/powergod.htm

Loads of obscure bands and great covers on those two releases. They even did a cover of Hear N Aid - Stars!

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Iron Maiden covering Women In Uniform, a song so obscure, I forget who had the original.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37868

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 5:46 pm

kmorg wrote:
Iron Maiden covering Women In Uniform, a song so obscure, I forget who had the original.

An Australian band called "Skyhooks"

...I like the Maiden version better.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Sat May 11, 2013 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 6:49 pm

Tesla doing Ph. D's "Little Susie's On The Up"

Here is the orignal....

Here Is The cover...

Great White doing Angel City's (The Angels) "Face The Day"

Here is the cover....

The original....

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1346

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 12:20 am

Cauldron covered Black 'n Blue's "Chains Around Heaven".
Adrenaline Mob covered Badlands's "High Wire".
Judas Priest covered Spooky Tooth's "Better by You, Better Than Me", although I don't know how obscure Spooky Tooth were at the time.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19226

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 6:03 am

Flotsam and Jetsam covered Lard's "Fork Boy".
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 7:06 am

Entombed covering Roky Erickson.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 10:31 am

Place of Skulls - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (The Animals cover)

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 10:37 am

metalheaded wrote:
Dark At Dawn - Out In The Fields (Gary Moore cover)

I suppose that one's fairly obscure since they are criminally unknown, it seems.

their 'Don't Pay The Ferryman' cover (Chris DeBurgh) is even better!!

Dark At Dawn has also covered 'Deliver Us From Evil' by Warlord..not a ton of Warlord covers out there, not of that song. A lot of people are closed minded about his vocals though, typical..

Onward - Clockwork Toy (Loudness)...no YouTube link for this one but it's very good.

The Chasm covering Italian thrashers Bulldozer...

Antimatter covering Mr. White by Trouble, pretty obscure..

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 11:04 am

October 31 also covered Warlord's "Child of the Damned"

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 12:11 am

Here is a message board that that has a multi-page discussion on rare covers. It's a pretty informative read.

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t15434-killer-covers-vol-8675309
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 2:25 am

Not obscure but an interesting choice- Lion's Share covered City Boy's "The Day The Earth Caught Fire". Not very metal, but good!!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 7:42 am

Jorn covered the same City Boy tune.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 7:43 am

jettafiend wrote:
Here is a message board that that has a multi-page discussion on rare covers. It's a pretty informative read.

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t15434-killer-covers-vol-8675309

Yeah, those are killer covers. Here we discuss rare ones. Learn the difference!

just kidding

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 10:09 am

Quote :
So, I was wondering, does anyone know of any bands that recorded or performed covers from lesser known bands, or, even better, released entire albums of such covers?

The Hellacopters (somewhat obsure themselves) released their final album Head Off in 2008, which is a whole album of covers consisting of other obscure garage rock/punk bands.

Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 11:12 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Helloween's METAL JUKEBOX was a pretty eclectic collection of stuff. They covered well known songs like Bowie's "Space Oddity" and Faith No More's "From Out of Nowhere" as well as fairly obscure tracks like Babe Ruth's "Mexican," the Alex Harvey Band's "Faith Healer" and Mahogany Rush's "Juggernaut".

How obscure is the Alex Harvey Band? I'm not familiar with them, but I have two other covers of Faith Healer, by Fish and The Cult, so that suggests that they couldn't have been too obscure. Maybe they were bigger in the UK and Europe than they were in the US.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 11:20 am

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 11:26 am

For a band that have been covered as much as Sabbath, they haven't done many, but they did do this.

I don't know how big Crow were in the U.S but they were pretty obscure here, a great song though and I prefer this to Sabbath's version listening to music
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Guns & Roses doing Ain't It Fun by Rocket From The Tombs via The Dead Boys. Rollins Band also do a version.

Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 6:53 pm

Citanul wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

How obscure is the Alex Harvey Band? I'm not familiar with them, but I have two other covers of Faith Healer, by Fish and The Cult, so that suggests that they couldn't have been too obscure. Maybe they were bigger in the UK and Europe than they were in the US.

Not obscure at all in my world obviously (my handle on this board is based on their Faith Healer song), but for younger people maybe. They were once considered one of the top live acts in the UK. Britney Fox also covered SAHB's Midnight Moses.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Obscure covers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure covers?   Obscure covers? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Obscure covers?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next