Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The early Judas Priest albums

Go down 
+43
candlemass
MetalGuy71
Lurideath
jettafiend
BearOnUnicycle
Chrome Locust
SAHB Healer
tul
kmorg
sheets
Gilbert
AchrisK
80s Metal Lady
Vexer6
brokentulsa
jstate
Shawn Of Fire
MEGATRON
stepcousin
Wurthless
journeyman
tohostudios
Lari
thejokeriv
SpectreFate
EvyMetal
Boris2008
ultmetal
Wargod
Dark Horseman
chewie
James B.
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
Orion Crystal Ice
sidmaximus
manny
MetallicSeminarian
MoonChild
stormspell
Alex Dee Rokket
luckymallet
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 3:49 pm

"Wanted dead or alive" reminds me of early black metal, especially lyrically.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:02 pm

If Bon Jovi was releasing albums in the 1970's, those jokes might be funny and actually pertian to what Scott was even talking about. None the less, carry on !

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:07 pm

James B. wrote:
If Bon Jovi was releasing albums in the 1970's, those jokes might be funny and actually pertian to what Scott was even talking about. None the less, carry on !

Thanks for your permission. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:09 pm

To quote Scott:

Quote :

"And Judas Priest is the definition of HEAVY METAL. This is exactly what I rant about constantly with people trying to strip the 1970's bands of their place in heavy metal history by making comments like, "seems like average hard rock music" or "it's just hard rock not heavy metal". Rather, those early bands were the creators of that hard-n-heavy sound. It use to just be American bands like Aerosmith, Ted Nugent and Kiss that people would argue against. Now I see it on discussion boards people saying bands like Saxon, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, UFO, Scorpions, etc. were never heavy metal bands but are "just hard rock". It's history revisionism."

I recognize that it's just my opinion, but songs like "Dissident Aggressor" and "Exciter" define early heavy metal in my mind. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:17 pm

All I know is that they are great albums full stop. I don't care if people want to call it samba influenced dubstep, it doesn't matter to me, they are still great albums
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
James B. wrote:

Your reading comprehension skills suck, I figured at 41 you'd recognize sarcasm, or not ?

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:21 pm

James B. wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
James B. wrote:

Your reading comprehension skills suck, I figured at 41 you'd recognize sarcasm, or not ?

I'm just not in the slightest bit interested.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:32 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

I'm just not in the slightest bit interested.

Then why respond then Laughing very hard

I can give ya a link to the defintion of "interested" but I've already commented on your reading comprehension skills.

If you havn't figured it out yet...I am just joking around with you. So no need to get butt dance hurt.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:37 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
"The Ripper" is the best song of their's.

theirs
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Brian is acting like Eyesore.....nee nar nee nar neeenare !

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:41 pm

James B. wrote:
Brian is acting like Eyesore.....nee nar nee nar neeenare !

No....the misuse of the apostrophe s is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:48 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
"Wanted dead or alive" reminds me of early black metal, especially lyrically.

Actually I hear a bit of proto-death in the riffs. It might be a stretch but Bon Jovi is the reason why the term proto started being used in metal.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:48 pm

Quote :
No....the misuse of the apostrophe s is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

I bet it's a pet peeve of Ken's too Laughing very hard

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Having fun James? lol!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 7:30 pm

manny wrote:
I completely disagree, even 'Rocka Rolla" which showed the band may not been exactly ready for prime time, still has some great songs on it, and the band had a huge winning streak in terms of songwriting, artistic accomplishment from 'Sad Wings of Destiny" to "Defenders of the Faith" very few bands can match the Priest discography during this same era.

This! They were on a HUGE roll. Heck, I even like Turbo (not as much as the albums prior to it). The only Priest albums I don't like are Ram It Down and the Ripper albums.

Also agree with S.D. that Unleashed is the best way to get into the early Priest - listen to Unleashed then explore the studio albums
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 8:10 pm

luckymallet wrote:
Does anyone else agree the early JP albums were pretty weak? Seems like very average hard rock music of its time, really.

Anyone going to defend them?
If you replace "early albums" with "debut album", you'd find quite a lot of people in agreement with you, or at the very least they'd understand the sentiment. Rocka Rolla has its moments, but it's nothing groundbreaking. Folkish, Zeppelinish "hard rock" sounds about right. And not very memorable at that. But already the second album was a 70's heavy metal masterpiece.

And Stained Class... well, that's just one of the greatest metal albums of all time. At least among the very best the 70's had to offer.

Golden age, if you want to find one era of Judas Priest and call it that, probably started around Stained Class and ended with Defenders of the Faith.

My personal top five is:

Stained Class
British Steel
Screaming For Vengeance
Defenders of the Faith
Painkiller

...in order of appearance.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 8:21 pm

Does anyone else agree that "Sin after Sin" is a hugely underrated gem in the Priest catalog?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 8:23 pm

Does anyone else agree that "Sin after Sin" is a hugely underrated gem in the Priest catalog?
My two favorite Priest albums are Sad Wings Of Destiny and Sin After Sin.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Everybody always bags on on Rocka Rolla ... I totally dig that album. Yeah, I know, it's far from the screaming crunchy heavy metal that the band eventually became known for but I've always found it a fascinating listen anyway. They were so young but there was already so much raw talent in the band, you can practically hear it bubbling under the surface, they just hadn't quite found "their" sound yet on that record.

...besides, I love the uber-cheesy "soda bottle cap" cover art and the fact that "Bob" Halford (not "Rob," "Bob!") is credited with "vocals and harmonica" on the back for the first and only time in Priest history. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 8:48 pm

tohostudios wrote:
My two favorite Priest albums are Sad Wings Of Destiny and Sin After Sin.

Absolutely! Sin After Sin is brilliant! The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 11840

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 8:53 pm

I thought Rocka Rolla was the worst Priest album all the way until Demolition came out.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 9:52 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
manny wrote:
I completely disagree, even 'Rocka Rolla" which showed the band may not been exactly ready for prime time, still has some great songs on it, and the band had a huge winning streak in terms of songwriting, artistic accomplishment from 'Sad Wings of Destiny" to "Defenders of the Faith" very few bands can match the Priest discography during this same era.

This! They were on a HUGE roll. Heck, I even like Turbo (not as much as the albums prior to it). The only Priest albums I don't like are Ram It Down and the Ripper albums.

Also agree with S.D. that Unleashed is the best way to get into the early Priest - listen to Unleashed then explore the studio albums

My thoughts exactly. Early Priest is very interesting and the last album I really liked was Painkiller. Unleashed has got to be on the list of top live albums.
Back to top Go down
luckymallet
Metal novice
Metal novice
luckymallet

Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 10:14 pm

xxx

Last edited by luckymallet on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Lari wrote:
I thought Rocka Rolla was the worst Priest album all the way until Demolition came out.

No way. Ram It Down and Turbo share the credit for that.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 10:18 pm

Funny story. On the school bus I was listening to the older kids talk about a cool metal band called Judas Priest, so at my earliest opportunity I stopped by the local record shop and bought Sad Wings Of Destiny, which I think was the only Priest in stock at the time. I listened and listened to that album. It wasn't until a lot later did I hear Screaming and British Steel and realized those were the albums they were talking about. Oh well, turned out to be a great buy none the less.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The early Judas Priest albums
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next