Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The early Judas Priest albums

Go down 
+43
candlemass
MetalGuy71
Lurideath
jettafiend
BearOnUnicycle
Chrome Locust
SAHB Healer
tul
kmorg
sheets
Gilbert
AchrisK
80s Metal Lady
Vexer6
brokentulsa
jstate
Shawn Of Fire
MEGATRON
stepcousin
Wurthless
journeyman
tohostudios
Lari
thejokeriv
SpectreFate
EvyMetal
Boris2008
ultmetal
Wargod
Dark Horseman
chewie
James B.
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
Orion Crystal Ice
sidmaximus
manny
MetallicSeminarian
MoonChild
stormspell
Alex Dee Rokket
luckymallet
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 7:41 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Does anyone else agree that "Sin after Sin" is a hugely underrated gem in the Priest catalog?

It's far from underrated on this forum!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 7:46 pm

I tried listening to Ram It Down again recently and it is still a bad album in my book. Turbo has some nostalgic value for me and I like it (don't love it, just like it)

Love Painkiller - great album and a great comeback. I had written Priest off after Ram It Down, then I saw the video for Painkiller and picked up the album. Travis was a great pickup after getting rid of the pedophile drummer.

Still, today I tend to reach for Sin After Sin, Stained Class, Sad Wings or Unleashed before the anything afterwards.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 8:15 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Does anyone else agree that "Sin after Sin" is a hugely underrated gem in the Priest catalog?

It's far from underrated on this forum!!!!!!

That one and Sad Wings are my favorite Priest albums.

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 8:26 pm

The early albums are the ones I play most often these days, primarily Unleashed, Sin After Sin and Stained Class. I love the style on those early records and it fits my taste more these days.

From the popular era (Killing Machine thru Ram It Down) the album I play the most is Point Of Entry, partially because it's not nearly as overplayed as the others and also because I think it has some great tracks that show Priest had a little more stylistic diversity in this era than most people give them credit for.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 8:38 pm

Ram It Down also has some excellent songs like the title track, Heavy Metal, Hard As Iron and Blood Red Skies.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 8:41 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Ram It Down also has some excellent songs like the title track, Heavy Metal, Hard As Iron and Blood Red Skies.

For me, "Blood Red Skies" is the only highlight of that album.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Can't add anything to this thread that hasn't already been mentioned. Sin After Sin is one of my favorite albums (not just of Judas Priest albums, but of all albums I've listened to) of all time. I like Rocka Rolla, too. I have the 2-album CD that pairs Rocka Rolla with Sin After Sin and it's one of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 9:13 pm

I love Sin After Sin, but the original album needs a bit of remastering as it's very flat sounding. You can hardly hear the bass at all.

It goes without saying that all of the 2001 Judas Priest remasters are complete garbage.

I have a hard time picking my favorite Priest album because they are my favorite band. I can only narrow it down to these:

Stained Class
Screaming For Vengeance
Painkiller
Sad Wings of Destiny
Priest In The East:Live In Japen - this is the Japanese version Unleashed in the East. I prefer it to Unleashed because it has four more songs.

Last edited by Witchfinder on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
luckymallet
Metal novice
Metal novice
luckymallet

Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 9:14 pm

xxx

Last edited by luckymallet on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 9:21 pm

S.D. wrote:
The early albums are the ones I play most often these days, primarily Unleashed, Sin After Sin and Stained Class. I love the style on those early records and it fits my taste more these days.

From the popular era (Killing Machine thru Ram It Down) the album I play the most is Point Of Entry, partially because it's not nearly as overplayed as the others and also because I think it has some great tracks that show Priest had a little more stylistic diversity in this era than most people give them credit for.

Solar Angels is great.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 9:22 pm

^^^ I hold Point of Entry near and dear to my heart because the first Priest song I ever heard (thanks to MTV in its early days) was from that album - "Headin' Out to the Highway."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 9:25 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

Priest In The East:Live In Japen - this is the Japanese version Unleashed in the East. I prefer it to Unleashed because it has four more songs.

There were also two additional tracks that showed up on a limited UK single. I found a bootleg expanded version that gathers together all the material in one place and puts the concert back into the sequence of the original shows. The bonus tracks are:

Rock Forever
Beyond The Realms Of Death
Delivering The Goods
Evil Fantasies
Starbreaker
Hell Bent For Leather
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 9:27 pm

Point Of Entry has a bunch of great tracks; Desert Plains, Turning Circles, Solar Angels, Heading Out To The Highway, You Say Yes, Troubleshooter, etc.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 9:28 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
^^^ I hold Point of Entry near and dear to my heart because the first Priest song I ever heard (thanks to MTV in its early days) was from that album - "Headin' Out to the Highway."

...that and "Hot Rockin'"
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 9:29 pm

S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

There were also two additional tracks that showed up on a limited UK single. I found a bootleg expanded version that gathers together all the material in one place and puts the concert back into the sequence of the original shows. The bonus tracks are:

Rock Forever
Beyond The Realms Of Death
Delivering The Goods
Evil Fantasies
Starbreaker
Hell Bent For Leather

I've heard that one as well.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 9:30 pm

chewie wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

...that and "Hot Rockin'"

Yep, that one too, but I vividly remember hearing/seeing the video for "Headin'" the first time I ever watched MTV after school in the fall of '81.

I also saw the Ramones' "Do You Remember Rock N Roll Radio" video that same afternoon. Not a bad start to my hard-rock education, I'd say. headbanger

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 10:21 pm

S.D. wrote:
Point Of Entry has a bunch of great tracks; Desert Plains, Turning Circles, Solar Angels, Heading Out To The Highway, You Say Yes, Troubleshooter, etc.

That's actually one of my favorite Priest albums. Love t from beginning to end.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 10:38 pm

I would have a hard time picking my favorite Judas Priest, I will defend 'Turbo" even thou its not my favorite Judas Priest album, because its just dumb fun album. 'Ram It Down" is not a great album, but I still like it, even if the lyrics make Nikki Sixx sound like Bob Dylan in comparison.

I thought "Painkiller" was a kick ass album and loved it at the time. I still like it but don't reach for it often, but I always thought the album was proving something to themselves and their fans, look we are still a metal band.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 10:49 pm

I hate 'Point of Entry' x10 as much as 'Turbo', despite loving 'Desert Plains', because after 'Solar Angels', everything dies horribly as Tipton and Halford run naked and wanton from one end of the Ibiza studio to the other, jumping out the window, and coming back in to do it again before jamming on some AC/DC covers.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 10:59 pm

I think Point Of Entry is mrely decent, it has a few good songs, but IMO has too many tracks that are either average(Troubleshooter, On The Run) or outright bad(You Say Yes)
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 11:28 pm

I agree with everyone who said that Unleashed in the East is a great way to get into older Priest.

And Stained Class really is one of the best metal albums ever!
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 11:29 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I hate 'Point of Entry' x10 as much as 'Turbo', despite loving 'Desert Plains', because after 'Solar Angels', everything dies horribly as Tipton and Halford run naked and wanton from one end of the Ibiza studio to the other, jumping out the window, and coming back in to do it again before jamming on some AC/DC covers.

Vexer6 wrote:
I think Point Of Entry is mrely decent, it has a few good songs, but IMO has too many tracks that are either average(Troubleshooter, On The Run) or outright bad(You Say Yes)

I was about to make this same point after reading all the Point Of Entry love, LOL. After "Solar Angels," yuck! "You Say Yes" is un-listenable to me.

Still, all the stuff through "Solar Angels" is great and "Heading Out To The Highway" may be my favorite Judas Priest song.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 11:51 pm

Painkiller is a monster of an album. If I have to pick one power/speed album to show people what its all about, that would be Painkiller. It simply redefined the genre and spurred tons of bands like Primal Fear, Iron Saviour, Silent Scream, etc. still trying to emulate it to this very day...

My top 5 JP albums. The actual order can vary slightly depending on my mood. Today it is:

1. Painkiller
2. Sad Wings of Destiny
3. Defenders of the Faith
4. Turbo
5. Screaming for Vengeance
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 12:12 am

My Top 5

1. Screaming For Vengeance
2. Sin After Sin
3. Stained Class
4. Defenders Of The Faith
5. British Steel (I think, I haven't heard Hell Bent For Leather in a long time)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 12:32 am

I personally can't understand the hate for "You Say Yes", I've always loved that groove...it would fit together nicely in a playlist with "Burnin' Up" from HBFL.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The early Judas Priest albums
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next