Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Great Rip Off!

Go down 
+24
Orion Crystal Ice
80s Metal Lady
Lari
Shawn Of Fire
manny
MetalGuy71
Boris2008
Witchfinder
snooloui
DallasBlack
SpectreFate
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Fat Freddy
Dark Horseman
jstate
krokus
Eyesore
James B.
mc666
A Handful of Wayne
kmorg
GrandNational
exact33
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 10:23 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Just kidding A. But, I will say this: When I was, ummm, unavailable to make decisions for myself, let's say....I listened to everything on headphones. Listening to headphones changed everything I had ever known about music. I heard songs that I had heard LITERALLY 200-300 times, and I heard stuff on headphones that I never knew were in those songs. I don't know how this has any bearing on this convo. I just wanted to throw it out there.

headphones are the proper way to listen to music, especially vinyl. I am talking about 'real" headphones that come with a "big-boy manly" 1/4 inch jack and not those lil Ipod sized jacks.

Remember Alez, you can omitt "Four More years' when ya rip LDDC Laughing very hard

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 10:33 am

James B. wrote:
Just kidding A. But, I will say this: When I was, ummm, unavailable to make decisions for myself, let's say....I listened to everything on headphones. Listening to headphones changed everything I had ever known about music. I heard songs that I had heard LITERALLY 200-300 times, and I heard stuff on headphones that I never knew were in those songs. I don't know how this has any bearing on this convo. I just wanted to throw it out there.

headphones are the proper way to listen to music, especially vinyl. I am talking about 'real" headphones that come with a "big-boy manly" 1/4 inch jack and not those lil Ipod sized jacks.

Remember Alez, you can omitt "Four More years' when ya rip LDDC Laughing very hard

I just finished with AC/DC and am now moving on to the B's so it might be awhile til I get to Kory's ranting...

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 1:53 pm

There is no "proper" way to listen to music.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Ears help.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 3:23 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Ears help.

you mean its not with a nose? Maybe Tate will be ok after all.....

ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 4:43 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
One of the only real pleasures in life is CD hunting.

I'm not sure I agree with that one.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 6:19 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
One of the only real pleasures in life is CD hunting.

I'm not sure I agree with that one.

I miss typed, I meant for me it is. To generalize that for everyone is something I would never do on purpose.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 6:53 am

I am currently ripping my Stratovarius CD's. I have 15 of them!!

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 10:02 am

You shouldn't sell your CDs.

Too bad.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 10:18 am

Eyesore wrote:

Am I gonna get accused of adding relativism to an objective topic again Laughing very hard

Just a question, if you listen to something on a car stereo and then put on the same music with headphones and you distinctively hear something that you've never heard before. That kinda/sorta changes the dynamics.

My usuage of "proper" in regards to listening to music is similar to when a guy sees a really nice '69 GTO. a '67 'Cuda. or '66 Chevelle drive by all restored and he mutters to himself, "proper". Or when a drummer spends some serious time tuning and miking their drum kit and they jump on it and hear it through the PA echoing off the walls. it can make a guy go, "proper"
and for those kind of guys. a guy can see a girl bend over in tight pants in front of him and he thinks to himself, "proper"

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 9:08 am

James B. wrote:

Since I moved into my new digs at work about a year or so ago, I listen to my music almost exclusively with big, comfy headphones and I definately notice a difference. There is no doubt that I pick up on little things that I've never noticed before, even on cds that I've spun a million times.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 2:53 pm

so i ripped Barren Cross cds today and Your Love Gives and Escape in the Night are finally on one album Razz

ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 7:49 pm

James B. wrote:

Headphones with a Headphones Amp that has Crossfeed. Otherwise Headphones aren't great and can even lead to some problems (a small percentage of people actually get sick while using headphones because without crossfeed the channel separation is too extrem so they get nauseous)
A proper stereo system with good speaker and amp is the way to go. Of course that doesn't mean 500$ speaker but something better.

I don't like MP3, it sounds like shit on my system where Vinyl and CD sound great - FLAC sounds good too but MP3 has always the problem with the high frequencies and a flat sound. I mean that MP3 is bad should be obvious, it's a 20 year old compression system developed to squeeze as much music in as few bytes as possible so it fits on the Hard Drives from back then. When you turn a 40 MB WAV in a 5 MB MP3 you must be pretty much deaf to not notice a difference or are so used to it, they don't hear a difference.
It's even worse on my Xbox 360, i think it uses WMA which isn't much better than MP3 but uses a lower bitrate, i play NHL 12 have some ripped music and it sounds bad.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 3:11 am

exact33 wrote:
so i ripped Barren Cross cds today and Your Love Gives and Escape in the Night are finally on one album Razz

Yeah, stuff like that is pretty cool. But do you edit the number on one of them, or are they now both track 11 (or whatever)?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 4:21 am

kmorg wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Yeah, stuff like that is pretty cool. But do you edit the number on one of them, or are they now both track 11 (or whatever)?
You gotta edit the song number! Haha.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 8:28 am

I notice a slight (not enough to care at all) difference in sound when listening to an actual CD as compared to MP3s, or a CD burned from MP3s.

One word thrown around a lot is "tinny", when referring to things like iTunes-purchased songs. I don't really understand what that means, and have never really had any issue with the sound of purchased MP3s.

I get some peopl have differently atuned ears, but in the grand scheme of things, I just think it's pretty awesome I can listen to and enjoy whatever music I want, whenever I want. Considering there was a time you could *only* hear music if someone was playing it live...well, that puts things into perspective a little for me.

Also, imagine how shitty music that had been recorded must have first sounded to people who were used to only experiencing music when it was played live.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Eyesore wrote:
kmorg wrote:
exact33 wrote:
You gotta edit the song number! Haha.

yep. I made Escape track #12.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Great Rip Off!
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4